ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best basketball player in the state to not have a Division I/Division II offer?

In my mind it is Josh Carter of Dub. Wahlert, a 6-5/6-6 wing guard who could take over a game. As a junior he was captain of the all-tournament 3A team in Des Moines and this year carried Wahlert in the championship game past LeMars. He is Wahlert's leading scorer over the past two championship seasons. I am not the only person wondering where he is going; bring up the subject of high school basketball around Dubuque, and people invariably ask about Carter. Sure, at times he could be a little inconsistent, and at times his defense lacked (it was terrific in the tourney). I think he is one of the most talented players I've ever seen who doesn't as of yet have a really good offer. He may be holding out for a walk-on position at a D1 school. I think that he is in the same spot as some of the Iowa City West players in that he has been playing on such a loaded team that he doesn't stand out as much as he would on some other teams. He hasn't had any academic or discipline problems that I know of. Does anyone have any updated information about him or his offers?

Was actually just talking to a Junior College coach recetly about him because I was kind of stunned he hadn't committed anywhere. I always thought D-II Upper Iowa should look at him. He said that the "knocks" on him insofar as competing at the D-II (didn't think D-I was a remote possibility for what it's worth) level were his size (closer to 6'3 or 6'4), lateral quickness and thus defense, handling, and shooting. Said that for his size, he would have to be a 2 at that level, and he simply didn't excel at those skills, especially shooting. The coach said that Iowa Conference schools should still be hard on him because he could excel at those schools in the right situation. Again, just the "word" so take it for what it's worth.

Was actually just talking to a Junior College coach recetly about him because I was kind of stunned he hadn't committed anywhere. I always thought D-II Upper Iowa should look at him. He said that the "knocks" on him insofar as competing at the D-II (didn't think D-I was a remote possibility for what it's worth) level were his size (closer to 6'3 or 6'4), lateral quickness and thus defense, handling, and shooting. Said that for his size, he would have to be a 2 at that level, and he simply didn't excel at those skills, especially shooting. The coach said that Iowa Conference schools should still be hard on him because he could excel at those schools in the right situation. Again, just the "word" so take it for what it's worth.
I know UIU at some point was looking at him and I believe he visited there early on.

Reactions: Bradshaw7
Thanks, Red87, although I don't agree with some of the junior college coach's assessments. But I did say Carter could be inconsistent, and if he would have been scouted in one of those games, one would certainly focus on the negatives. His Dad played for Loras College, and having seen him (Josh) play so many times, I think he could certainly play at that level or better. It's tough to make the college big time as a guard. There are so many good high school guards, and so few make it to the promised land. It's hard to believe that IC West has two soph guards with D1 offers (Lane and McCaffrey), and Linn-Mar possibly could have two next year (Bohannon and Printy). Maybe consistency is one of the major keys to getting a college offer. But-- I'm not a coach and I'm not a college scout. And, also, Carter wasn't on the radar as a freshman and sophomore, because he didn't play that much or that well his first two years. I think that kids have to come out of the gate pretty fast these days of stiff competition, and get noticed very early- as freshmen or sophs.

Another question, how many of the guys that signed D1 or D2 this year will never play or transfer out due to no playing time?

Another question, how many of the guys that signed D1 or D2 this year will never play or transfer out due to no playing time?

This is the most realistic thing I have read. AAU ball has kids thinking they are way overvalued. There are more kids playing AAU basketball nowadays than there are rosters spots at colleges (all levels). Nonetheless kids will get letters of interest from institutions just because they played at a certain tourney and coaches were there. Sometimes coaches will get the list of all the kids who were there and just have those letters sent out. Kids need to realize when they get letters from an institution that there could be upwards of 20 kids they are recruiting at the same position. Sometimes guys don't realize they are being recruited to be a "program" player, which is essentially a practice player/high character guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT