ADVERTISEMENT

Who had the most impressive second round victory?

MMC wins two in a row versus arguably top 5 teams. DB hut out was impressive. MD was not as good as the record showed.

Bosco beat a good TV team. DB has a very good, physical football team. Their kids play hard, Svoboda is not a Jake Hogan (not many kids are) but he is very good. They have a good line on both sides of the ball. TV did not play like the team they were on the way to winning 9 games this year. TV let things get out of control early and didn't recover which is hard to do against teams like DB. At the risk of starting a war, I do have to wonder why with ten minutes left in a blowout win did DB still have the vast majority of their starters in the game? They have plenty of depth on their team. Why, with another game at the end of the week would you not give your starters some rest? This time of the year having DB's kind of depth will serve them well but give the horses that got you this far a little rest for the next race in my opinion.

The score might not say it and most may not agree with me, but HLV's win over Janesville was impressive. Strudthoff was limited and barely play at all. Janesville had their fair share of mistakes but HLV showed resiliency throughout the game and did not panic when QB Dalton Kriegel (who ran for over 200 yards and four touchdowns) went down in the fourth quarter with an ankle injury. They simply went to Louis Kriegel and Nate Van Buren and pounded the rock to re-take the league when Janesville had all of the momentum in the world.

I think a lot of posters wrote HLV off after their loss to Don Bosco but they keep fighting and proving they can play with anyone. I'm anticipating a lot of fireworks in Elkader on Friday and I'm smelling an upset.

Gotta be either HLV or MMC. I'd lean toward MMC just because I think Glidden is better than Janesville.

Gotta be MMC. Glidden was arguably a top 4 team in the state plus MMC had to be beat up coming off 2 tough physical games, one vs GTRA in round one, and one vs West Bend in the week 9. This MMC team is fistey tough. They don't wanna die. They got a fight in them. Better watch out if they get past WBM

They were still in the game and left around the 9 to 10 minute mark of the 4th. Honestly it makes me no difference what the Bosco staff does or does not with their team, obviously it has been working. Having 45 to 50 kids is not easy to manage and trying to get all those kids snaps can be a challenge, I am sure the staff does what they feel is the best interest of their program and the kids.

I love these "who played and how long" arguments because you can solve them by checking the stats...

DB played 15+ guys on defense because 15 guys recorded a tackle and 13 recorded 2 or more...

Rushing... Mangrich, Sweeney, Swavel, and Hickson are not starters/primary RB's... They combined for 12 carries..
Swavel and Mangrich combined for 3 carries against Twin Cedars. Nothing for Sweeney or Hickson.

Svoboda and Thome who get most of the carries had 10 less carries against TV(32) than they did against Twin Cedars(42)...
I think TC has a little better argument.... Neither really should have a complaint. If that score was 66-10 you probably wouldn't be upset. The fact that it is a single digit seems to give people the "running it up" impression.

HLV win was solid... However, Janesville made 8-10 mistakes that cost them downs and more importantly points. Had they played a cleaner game they win by 14 or so.

I say MMC hands down though and if they do it against WBM I would give it to them again unless DB gets beat.

Where did this post say anything about running up the score, not the case at all in fact. Hell for as bad as TV played Bosco could have scored 80 plus. People that read into posts are the ones who make these boards tough to read sometime. Keep on on my point and that was with such a short turnaround time this week teams can use all the rest they can get no more no less than that. DbB even took a knee the last two minutes at the TV 20.

Who cares about bosco? Focus on the teams who won close games and beat quality opponents. Gotta give NF a lot of credit for beating a big physical CRB team. Or Lamoni beating exira when many felt the state was trying to make the road as easy as possible for exira. Or the shootout between HLV and Janesville. Round 2 had some great games that deserve more attention than Done bosco dominating a overrated team who is not very good

Interesting comment, Turkey Valley was overrated. Finished 9-2, second in their district. Their only two losses were to two of the arguably best 8 player teams in the eastern half (and possibly the state) of the state (Central and DB). They handled all the teams they should have rather easily. Comparing results show they held their own fairly well. I am not a Bosco fan but you do have to respect what they have done to date.

Yeah what they've done is definitely respectable. It's just not worthy of the most impressive performance. It has to be MMC. There's not really a question about it. Beating what some polls had the number 2 ranked team (and a lot of you on here said the most physical team) in the state by 16 points is a great victory for the Eagles.

No one ever talked about TV being overrated until DB held them to a shutout. Gonorse92 has a point they didnt go 9-2 and make it to the second round of the playoffs for no reason.

Uh I talked about them being overrated after Central Elkader routed them as well. Ya alot of teams could go 9-2 with that schdule.

I am sure you are going to tell me that IF HLV happens to beat Central, Central was overrated too. Both are excellent teams. Are you going to try and tell me Janesville was overrated too? Janesville was very good. It is hard for me to swallow hearing anyone say some team is overrated. Half the people on these boards never have seen those "overrated teams" play a down of football. Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions and I do respect that. Some very good teams in the NE part of the state and I can attest to only the teams I have seen in person (Don Bosco, Central, TV, Clarksville and more). Non of those teams were or are overrated. Just good solid football teams that had good success.

When a team isn't as good as everybody thought, it is the definition of overrated. Did anyone really expect the victory margin to be 50+? It could have been a bad game for TV, but 66-0 isn't even remotely competitive. Add to the fact that some people made a thread thinking they were the best team in 8-man just a few weeks into the season. Yah, I think they were overrated.

Its hard telling if they were overrated or not. Don Bosco has been doing that to virtually everyone they played this year with the exception of HLV. Only once have they not had a running clock on someone. In 8 man when good teams matchup, when one gets down and they make a mistake or two, the score can easily snow ball out of hand pretty quickly and make it look worse than what it really was. Not saying thats what happened since I wasn't at that game but I wouldn't hop on that train just yet and say they were overrated. If Don Bosco rolls everyone on a way to another state title the same way they did TV is everyone else going to be overrated as well or is DB just going to be considered very very good? Let the next few games play out before we start pulling the overrated card out of the hat.

High90 well said. In TV's case a fumble on their first drive after getting two first downs (which would have been a touchdown if not a DB penalty) gave DB a short field and the next possession a pick six and the ball was rolling. Make no doubt DB is good and it would have been very tough for TV to win that game. Watching more 8 man football this year than previous years teams can in fact get on a roll a little bit easier and can be hard to stop. TV was better than it showed against DB, and I am not saying they would have won but the score was not indicative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT