ADVERTISEMENT

Where are……

cidhawkeye

All District
Jun 21, 2009
all the posters? I was told this board was bogged down by a certain subject and that activity would pick up without those threads. Well?

Any big matchups this weekend? Rivalries?

I know all the spam drove a lot of people away over the last year.

I kind of like bringing everything down to one football forum, it keeps me a little more plugged in to what's going on in other classes. I probably wouldn't have even been aware of West Hancock v Newman, but now it does make me wonder. I hope more people come back and comment over time.

Regina is BIG up front. Pull guards a fair amount. Look out for the TE/slot/fullback dude, unsure how to describe his position. He is big like an athletic lineman and he kinda pulls underneath and cleans house too. Not probably too much of a passing team this year. I think Mid-Prairie at Sigourney/Keota is a pretty nice matchup.

I kind of like bringing everything down to one football forum, it keeps me a little more plugged in to what's going on in other classes. I probably wouldn't have even been aware of West Hancock v Newman, but now it does make me wonder. I hope more people come back and comment over time.

I agree. Much easier to keep up.

Regina is BIG up front. Pull guards a fair amount. Look out for the TE/slot/fullback dude, unsure how to describe his position. He is big like an athletic lineman and he kinda pulls underneath and cleans house too. Not probably too much of a passing team this year. I think Mid-Prairie at Sigourney/Keota is a pretty nice matchup.
Seems like what you’re describing is more like a h-back.

Reactions: IGo42 and IronFist
To answer your question. I think most of them posters are student. Their not many adults. If they are busy with school and sports and other stuff. You can put two to two together.

all the posters? I was told this board was bogged down by a certain subject and that activity would pick up without those threads. Well?

Any big matchups this weekend? Rivalries?
Tipton is gonna have a rough year. They lost their RB via the Catholic Transfer Portal.

• Haha
Reactions: IGo42
There's some pretty good matchups this week: Xavier (ranked anywhere from 2nd to 6th in 4A) goes to West Delaware (1st or 2nd in 3A) in what should be a dandy game Friday night.

In 5A we've got CR Kennedy going to Bettendorf; Southeast Polk vs Valley; and Waukee Northwest gets an angry Dowling. In 4A, is North Polk for real after beating Dallas Center-Grimes? I guess they'll find out when they play Pella.

Cardinal (my old alma mater) is ranked 8th in 1A by the Register! Say whaaaa? The Comets blitzed Pekin 70-19 Friday in what could be the first win over the Panthers in nearly 50 years (I know we didn't beat them anytime in the late 70s-early 80s when I was around, although my 7th grade team did get a win over Pekin that everybody on that team still remembers). I'm gonna go ahead and hold off on the Cardinal bandwagon, though, because they've gone unbeaten in non-district games for, like, three years in a row - but when district play rolls around they can't win a game. And their district is tough, with Pella Christian and Sigourney-Keota - every 1A-6 district team won their opener, most of them by 28 points or better.

Reactions: IGo42
To answer your question. I think most of them posters are student. Their not many adults. If they are busy with school and sports and other stuff. You can put two to two together.
Yeah, I think that's putting two and five together and getting four.

If you read the comments, you'll see a lot of parents, rightfully proud and hopeful, some reliving glory days, some poling the bear (no pun intended) on old rivalries, and a few who just really want to talk about the fun and unpredictable nature of this sport at this level. So, I'm not seeing the "student" angle at all.

I'm hoping we see more talk about polls, predictions etc. and less finger-pointing than has historically lived here (but I've wished for that for years.) I just don't get what anyone gains from that game. You know the old "point one finger at someone, you have 3 pointing back at yourself..."

But thanks for chiming in - Always good to see more people commenting - when you look at the thread stats there are still a lot of people reading compared to the number who post.

harlan vs grinnell is a good matchup, grinnell probably wants some payback from last years loss.. grinnell had a 37-34 win over benton last. benton a good team , not sure.. friday we will see if grinnell has the horsepower to pull this one out.

this site has been dead for for a few years now, not sure exactly what happen. i know some got tee off by the rude people that use to be here, and social media probably grapped some. then there are some that do follow, but their team is not doing well lately....it appears if ones team is loosing, they will not post here

I am hearing that the running back for West Liberty wrote a letter to the school board and they have reduced his two game suspension for OWI to one game. If true, that's a pretty light punishment.
They must have seen that WL vs Solon score and decided to bring him back.

I don't have a dog in the fight here. But your response makes no sense. WB is not a Catholic school, so how can Regina or others be following their lead?

They were bringing in a transfer QB every year there for awhile. Transfers were the only thing keeping them competitive for a few years.

....here we go. Now we're generating board traffic again...

Lot of discussion on another board that the City High vs. Liberty game got pretty chippy. Between fans, coaches, players...and even the Liberty PA announcer taking shots at kids.
Anyone go to the game with some insight here?

There's some pretty good matchups this week: Xavier (ranked anywhere from 2nd to 6th in 4A) goes to West Delaware (1st or 2nd in 3A) in what should be a dandy game Friday night.

In 5A we've got CR Kennedy going to Bettendorf; Southeast Polk vs Valley; and Waukee Northwest gets an angry Dowling. In 4A, is North Polk for real after beating Dallas Center-Grimes? I guess they'll find out when they play Pella.

Cardinal (my old alma mater) is ranked 8th in 1A by the Register! Say whaaaa? The Comets blitzed Pekin 70-19 Friday in what could be the first win over the Panthers in nearly 50 years (I know we didn't beat them anytime in the late 70s-early 80s when I was around, although my 7th grade team did get a win over Pekin that everybody on that team still remembers). I'm gonna go ahead and hold off on the Cardinal bandwagon, though, because they've gone unbeaten in non-district games for, like, three years in a row - but when district play rolls around they can't win a game. And their district is tough, with Pella Christian and Sigourney-Keota - every 1A-6 district team won their opener, most of them by 28 points or better.
I wondered about Cardinal and how they’re either ranked or receiving votes. They lost to Sigourney-Keota twice (68-8 and 49-0) and Mepo (44-8) last year. I know different year, but did they have some guys out last year, new kids this year or a good freshmen class?

I don't have a dog in the fight here. But your response makes no sense. WB is not a Catholic school, so how can Regina or others be following their lead?
I think the point is that Catholic schools don't have an exclusive on recruiting. I've seen it happen, with a public school coach. Won't name names, but I think "enticing talk" happens regardless of where.

I am hearing that the running back for West Liberty wrote a letter to the school board and they have reduced his two game suspension for OWI to one game. If true, that's a pretty light punishment.
They must have seen that WL vs Solon score and decided to bring him back.
I don't like talking about kids and disciplinary actions here, but suffice to say, I heard a slightly different story (that wasn't an OWI), so all that shows is there are lots of stories out there, beware what we spread here.

That info was out on this board before me. It doesn't seem to be a secret. He missed the first game. It was reported in the news he had a two game suspension. We'll see if he's somehow back this week though...

To me the surprise was Easton Valley over Don Bosco 60-14. When's the last time Don Bosco got beat that bad?

Yeah, I can’t believe there’s a program in Iowa that would allow a kid to return after a DUI….or possession for that matter, if there is…it’s wrong.

Seems like Cardinal has been on sort of a quiet rise in some sports last few years. Did they get a new indoor facility or weight room? Thought i heard something. Friend at Liberty/City was feeling like there was unsportsmanlike behavior on both sides, the City side was slightly worse. Only hearsay.

Yeah, I can’t believe there’s a program in Iowa that would allow a kid to return after a DUI….or possession for that matter, if there is…it’s wrong.
these are kids, they make mistakes..give them a break,,,my gosh....i would rather see whats wrong with the parents

Not sure there is a school in Iowa that would kick an athlete off the team for first offense. U of I is generally 1-2 games. I know our school is 25% of the season for first offense, 50% second offense, 12 months third offense and remainder of high school career for fourth offense.

Not sure there is a school in Iowa that would kick an athlete off the team for first offense. U of I is generally 1-2 games. I know our school is 25% of the season for first offense, 50% second offense, 12 months third offense and remainder of high school career for fourth offense.
9 games x 25% is more than 1.

I guess I’d always thought it was a 30 day activity suspension. Not sure where I got that. But, it sounds like it may be school specific, and not prescribed by the ISHSAA?
If so, I guess I’m not sure what is exactly a fair punishment for an offense like that. Somewhere between 2 games and 30 days (3 or 4 games)?

You’re kidding…right? Our school has zero tolerance, as it should. As the coach explained to parents in a meeting, he had to remove five starters from the team going into the PO’s for getting caught at a homecoming party where alcohol was present (they’re not suspended from school, unless there’s additional law enforcement issues). That’s the team policy.

I’m sure very school is slightly different. But I know that every FB coach has different standards. I played for pekin high in the late 80’s early 90’s and coach stone had much harsher punishments for any offense like that. He said in preseason meeting once “ your parents could sue me to put you back on the team, but I don’t have to play you “. FB players were held to a higher standard. I think some schools still do.

Seems like Cardinal has been on sort of a quiet rise in some sports last few years. Did they get a new indoor facility or weight room? Thought i heard something. Friend at Liberty/City was feeling like there was unsportsmanlike behavior on both sides, the City side was slightly worse. Only hearsay.
They have an indoor facility that is really nice. I am not certain what is all in it. I do know they have some turf.
They have a Greiner kid that is legit

I'm interested to see the Williamsburg vs Van Meter score tomorrow. Should be a measuring stick to see how close Regina is to Van Meter. I believe Regina beat Williamsburg 16-14 last Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT