ADVERTISEMENT

What team in 4A gives Iowa City West a run in the playoffs?

kind of makes me wonder: are we in the midst of a wooden-esque streak for ICW?

Right now ICW are the favorites because of talent, coaching and attitude. There are just a few schools that can match the talent level (or at least come close) to ICW, but I'm not sure they can match the coaching or attitude. I've seen ICW play quite a few times over the last couple of years both in season and during the summer, and they have a championship swagger about them that other teams will have to overcome if they want to knock them off. Here are the teams that I believe have enough talent to give them a run:

1. North Scott - two D1 level players and one D2 level player. If one or both of them get hot, they could knock off ICW.
2. Waukee - They have the big men to compete well with ICW. If they get good guard play, they can knock off anyone.
3. Ankeny Centennial - Their top 5 starters can compete with ICW, They are lacking leadership and the swagger right now. If they can find that in the later half of the season, they could be very dangerous.

Good post. I feel that Linn-Mar may need to be included in this. I have never seen either team play, but Linn-Mar did just lose to them by 5... 5 points in a basketball game isn't much to overcome. Perhaps someone that was at the game could shed some light on why they wouldn't be included? Did Iowa City West just play terribly that night? Did Linn-Mar play beyond their normal capabilities?

I wasn't at the Linn-Mar vs. Iowa City West game but talked to a parent that was. I guess Linn-Mar shot very well and had their big guy get hot and start hitting three's as well as Bohannon and Uhlir. So I could see including them. If they get hot and start raining three's, I think they can beat anyone as well.

Yes, if anybody could possibly do it, it might be Linn-Mar. I saw them play a game a couple of years ago when the Lions went on the road and hit 19 threes; of course Marcus Paige had over half of them.... Seriously, to beat Iowa City West it'll take a good team that plays terrific defense and is hot from the field. Never say never.

I think PV has a legitimate shot against ICW if they meet up. The biggest issues for PV are depth and consistent PG play.

Milam is stronger/bigger than anyone ICW can offer defensively. Best post defender between Parks, Lohaus, and DiLeo would need to cover him.
Czarnecki on DiLeo I think would be a solid match up. Czarnecki is quick enough to cover him and ICW will need someone quick enough to cover Czarnecki as well.
Carius definitely needs to be on McCaffery. I think McCaffery can make some dribble drive moves on him, but jump shots will be a challenge with Carius' vertical and length. I would assume Lohaus or McCaffery on Carius as well.
Kardell on Lohaus would be the best option for PV. Lohaus or McCaffery on Kardell.
The biggest issue is Kipper, Dippel, and so on will likely be harassed by Love at PG and that could result in a handful of turnovers in itself.

I still don't think North Scott has the height to compete with a ICW team that is more athletic than PV and has better ball handlers. The biggest help for North Scott was its ability to force TO's on PV. They won't come easily against ICW.

Bettendorf is a common opponent for ICW and PV. Jovan Johnson wasn't with Bett when PV played them, but he isn't a difference maker really.

35-14 PV at half
37-15 ICW at half
ICW pulled further away in the second half, while it seemed Bett either adjusted to something PV did or PV let off the gas pedal.

The team with the most talented defense will have the best chance. Ball possession and best scoring off of turnover ratio. The only way to fight fire is with fire. Don't know if anyone can do that with 6-8 players across the board in various combinations. That's why you see balance in scoring for one game and an impressive single scoring effort in another. You have to be able to match up and win the rebound, turnover, possession battle to be able to have a chance to score more points.

The question is; who can do this? The Linn Mar game was a great game. The Lions were definitely hot and not being defended very well. I'm sure adjustments are being made by the Trojans already. The refs were equally horrible for both teams so that wasn't always a factor but there was a little home court advantage going on with charges being called on one end and not over the back on the other. The bottom line is ICW was able to keep their composure enough to get to the foul line and take advantage. That my friends is the "Swagger" you speak of. They know what to do when it's close because they've been there before. And yes, the coaching/preparation is at the top but it's the horses that get it done in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT