ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 Matchups

Dyersville beckman vs cascade. Opposing RBs went for 40 carries 262yds 4tds and 27 carries 252yds and 6tds in week 3. Fierce district rivals

Last edited:
Solon vs Assumption
The Beef Bowl
Roosevelt vs Urbandale
Clayton Ridge vs North Linn
Newell Fonda vs Garrigan
Southeast Polk vs Ankeny
Downing vs City High

6 undefeated games this week:

4A non-district - North Scott (3-0) at Xavier (3-0)
3A non-district - Algona (3-0) at BHRV (3-0)
2A Dist 2 - OABCIG (3-0) at Southeast Valley (3-0)
2A Dist 2 - Pocahontas Area (3-0) at Spirit Lake (3-0)
1A Dist 5 - Mediapolis (3-0) at Regina (3-0)
8P non-district - Newell-Fonda (3-0) at Bishop Garrigan (3-0)

Don't forget North Scott vs Xavier, doesn't get any bigger than this in 4A

Yep, two undefeateds, ranked 1 and 2 in 4A by the Register, Xavier with a 33-game home winning streak, North Scott the defending state champions … I’d say it’s pretty darn big for a non-district matchup. And let’s not even mention the fact that North Scott has ended Xavier’s season in the playoffs the last two years running.

Two big matchups in 1A-4. Beckman vs Cascade & Wat Columbus vs. MFL. All four were district champions last year.

Here’s what BC Moore has for the games listed.

Mepo @ IC Regina, Regina by 14.29
Cascade @ Beckman, Beckman by 29.59
Solon @ Assumption, Solon by 27.91
Central Lyon @ West Lyon, Central by 19.46
Urbandale @ Roosevelt, Roosevelt by 0.43
North Linn @ Clayton Ridge, NL by 16.78
Newell Fonda v@ Garrigan, NF by 12.59
Southeast Polk @ Ankeny, SEP by 0.30
Dowling @ City High, Dowling by 3.20
North Scott @ CR Xavier, North Scott by 10.9
Algona @ BHRV, BHRV by 45.27
OABCIG @ Southeast Valley, OABCIG by 6.33
Pocahontas Area @ Spirit Lake, SL by 18.18
MFL @ Waterloo Columbus, Columbus by 8.90

I’ll throw in an extra as I’m interested to see how good Cardinal really is being ranked #6 by the DMR.

Cardinal @ Central Decatur, CD by 0.94

What are the big matchups this week?

Mediapolis (3-0) @ Iowa City Regina (2-0) to start district play.
You mean 3-0 Regina....LOL

Looking forward to this one, I think it's going to be a hard fought one from beginning to end.

I’ll throw in an extra as I’m interested to see how good Cardinal really is being ranked #6 by the DMR.

I go back and forth with the 1A rankings - On the one hand - I can easily see any of the top 5 winning it all. When I look at the top ten (and even go down a layer the next 3 or 4 I can't rule out anyone for dome bound teams. So much is riding on the health of a few players in this class. Is anyone deep? Mepo deep, running maybe

In 1A I think it's Van Meter...and then everyone else.
I would agree, that the title is theirs to lose. So, everyone in contention for a dome appearance has to be thinking about what they do week to week to build something that can defeat them. That's difficult to do without looking past any opponents. I think most every district has at least a one or two games that present those opportunities for the district leaders to stumble. Luckily, with the expanded playoff model, it doesn't matter much other than where you play in the playoffs.

And then, of course, there's injury potential that can throw wicked wrenches into things and we can hope those don't impact anything.

I think it is a 2 team race in 1A. Van Meter and Underwood. Underwood is overlooked in my book. If you look at their roster they are big. They have been improving the last few years. With 4 #1 seeds in the playoffs to get to the dome, I think they will each take one since they are rated highly and have easy districts.
The east side of the state will be interesting. District 4 winner will probably get a #1 seed if any of the teams have a perfect record. If Regina or Mepo is perfect they have a chance. District 6 with Pella Christian, Sigourney and Cardinal. If one of those teams is undefeated they may get one. Also, Dike has a chance. It could be very interesting to see who has homefield throughout.

I think it is a 2 team race in 1A. Van Meter and Underwood. Underwood is overlooked in my book. If you look at their roster they are big. They have been improving the last few years. With 4 #1 seeds in the playoffs to get to the dome, I think they will each take one since they are rated highly and have easy districts.
The east side of the state will be interesting. District 4 winner will probably get a #1 seed if any of the teams have a perfect record. If Regina or Mepo is perfect they have a chance. District 6 with Pella Christian, Sigourney and Cardinal. If one of those teams is undefeated they may get one. Also, Dike has a chance. It could be very interesting to see who has homefield throughout.
I would agree with your assessment for a prediction, but the one things is with the playoffs being longer/bigger, there's more potential for one of those "any given night" moments for someone to play spoiler. I don't so much think that's a risk for a Van Meter, it is for pretty much any of the others mentioned. Additionally, I don't think the teams you mentioned going undefeated is an issue. They can carry a couple of defeats in district play and still make the playoffs, where they have the opportunity to shine and punch their ticket. So, I guess, in my book that means Van Meter and everyone else.

Now if someone manages to knock off Van Meter during district play, does it matter? Sure they'll make the playoffs, but is it a shrug, or a mental blow that makes the playoffs problematic for them?

Do we know if the state is going to do "sister districts" for the playoffs in classes A, 1A and 2A?

Do we know if the state is going to do "sister districts" for the playoffs in classes A, 1A and 2A?
I think the answer is yes. If you read the thread under "This weeks matchups" @IGo42 goes into some detail on the process. While they stop short of saying "sister districts" I think that's the only way it makes sense. So, I assume it's 1-2,. 3-4, etc. but I can't say for sure.

A couple additional, of interest, not of consequence, I'll throw in:

3-0 Wilton vs 0-3 and previously ranked in one poll Durant. Next door rivals

How about the battle of the un-won? 0-3 West Liberty v 0-3 Comanche?

A couple additional, of interest, not of consequence, I'll throw in:

3-0 Wilton vs 0-3 and previously ranked in one poll Durant. Next door rivals

How about the battle of the un-won? 0-3 West Liberty v 0-3 Comanche?
The Wilton vs Durant game is intriguing. Durant was supposed to be better. Wilton beat a team who beat Durant already. I think this decides who is 4th/5th in the district.

I would assume (unless it's already been announced otherwise?) that for the first 2 rounds, there'll be sister districts. But then...seed the final 8 teams and bracket them accordingly with some geographical consideration obviously entering the equation?

Tier 1 - Van Meter
Tier 2 - Underwood, Dike-New Hartford, West Sioux, IC Regina

In my opinion, if seeded, it's a matter of which Tier 2 teams are going to have to face off before the dome.
I would put Van Meter and Underwood in tier 1. There could be about 8-10 teams in tier 2. After week 6 I think a couple districts will play out that it will be closer to 4 teams fighting for 2 homefield advantage slots.

The Beef Bowl!! From outside the county this game probably looks like it lacks the luster from years past, but everyone in Lyon County will still get up for it.

CL-GLR is coming off a big win over a quality football team in West Sioux. See if they can keep the momentum rolling against West Lyon. This team looks totally different starting in the 2nd half against SBL. Lutmer has asserted himself as the leader and some new comers are stepping into their roles quite nicely.

West Lyon on the other hand seems to be struggling to find a groove. The last few games haven't looked like a typical Jay Rozenboom coached team. One thing you can always count on with the quality coaching they have is this team will improve every week.

I'd put CL-GLR is heavy favorites for the first time in quite a few years, but its the Beef Bowl so by heavily favored I mean by a couple TDs. I'll be making the trip to the West side of the county and look forward to a good football game.

OABCIG vs SEV could be interesting. OABCIG is riding a 28 game winning streak. Last team to beat them? SEV. 58-42 in the 2018 playoffs. Highly doubtful there will be that many points scored this time around.

Reactions: IGo42
OABCIG vs SEV could be interesting. OABCIG is riding a 28 game winning streak. Last team to beat them? SEV. 58-42 in the 2018 playoffs. Highly doubtful there will be that many points scored this time around.
Graves for SEV jumps out on tape on the games I've watched of SEV. They got some complimentary pieces around him but by himself he can take games over on defense. Look forward to watching this kid at Iowa.

OABCIG looks like more of a complete team to me. They have really good line play and it looks like they are getting things figured out on offense. Neither team has played a real tough schedule so we will learn a lot from this game. Should be a good one. Its a complete toss up game but if I had to pick I'd say OABCIG.

Reactions: ghost80 and IGo42
Graves for SEV jumps out on tape on the games I've watched of SEV. They got some complimentary pieces around him but by himself he can take games over on defense. Look forward to watching this kid at Iowa.

OABCIG looks like more of a complete team to me. They have really good line play and it looks like they are getting things figured out on offense. Neither team has played a real tough schedule so we will learn a lot from this game. Should be a good one. Its a complete toss up game but if I had to pick I'd say OABCIG.
Could TE be in his future? Basketball Center so catching a ball isn't a complete foreign concept to him.

@Pinehawk where should we eat a pregame meal at tomorrow evening?
I’ll chime in

really good dinner house- Blackstone

old school diner- Mid Town

sandwich/bar food (and drinks) - Shakespeare’s ( get the tots with your sandwich)

beware, City is at home tomorrow night too, so come early. Not a huge amount of options on the East side.

Reactions: Pinehawk
@rc1963 covered your best options pretty well.
Blackstone is close to the game and a nice place. Sit in the bar area for tv's and a more upbeat atmosphere.
Shakespeare's is also close and a great neighborhood type bar and grill.
Besides that, if you haven't been to the Iowa City Big Grove Brewery yet, that is fun to check out.

Yes, City High with a big home game against Dowling tonight, just down the street, and likely some Iowa fans coming in the night before for the game tomorrow. So, could be a busier night around town, which is fun.

I was so focused on the (4)Xavier/(1)North Scott matchup, I did not realize (2)Indianola and (3)Lewis Central are also playing tonight! Two great match-ups.

No. 1 North Scott (3-0) at No. 4 Cedar Rapids Xavier (3-0)

No. 2 Indianola (3-0) vs. No. 3 Lewis Central (2-1)

No. 3 Lewis Central (2-1) at No. 2 Indianola (3-0)

No. 4 Cedar Rapids Xavier (3-0) vs. No. 1 North Scott (3-0)

Iowa City High with a big game against Dowling tonight. I have to say I'm impressed with how quickly new head coach Mitch Moore has impacted City High. They are up to #4 and looking great so far.
Very interested to see how they stack up versus Dowling tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT