ADVERTISEMENT

Waukon @ New Hampton

Waukon88

Freshman
Apr 23, 2004
Whats everybody's thoughts and predictions on this huge game for the district championship? I remember last years game and it was very good. New Hampton always is very good and gives Waukon a tough game.

I really like Waukon in this game but I am homer also so. It will also depend on whether Waukon gets back a couple of injuries that have happened in the last couple weeks.

Waukon 20
New Hampton 14

21-7 Waukon

These are possibly the 2 best defenses in the state. The only team that can be in the same realm is Carroll Kuemper.

I think of those 3 teams Waukon has the best offense and probably a Top 3 offense to go along with the stout defense.

West Marshall, Dyersville Beckman, and possibly Carroll Kuemper/Albia all hold potent offenses as well.

The only reason I say possibly on CK and Albia is...
CK has a 7-6 win over Carroll and the next best team they have played has a 4-4 record.
Albia has won its games and been impressive offensively, but Bondurant Farrar is the only big challenge thus far. BF has a very solid offense, but the defense is very average. Albia hasn't played someone like West Marshall, who put the clamps down on North Polk by holding them to 14 and BF allowed NP to get 35 on them in a close loss.

I really can see this game going either way, I just hope for a great game with both teams playing there best, since I'm from NH i'll pick them 21-14

Not savvy enough to make a prediction other than it will be a great game. But I will say that barring injuries it should be a great one for both teams to step up their game to the level they'll need to expect in playoffs. So in that sense perhaps the timing is good for them both.

I think that this game is going to turn into a defensive dogfight. Both teams are solid. I think it will be a lower scoring game at 10-7 - NH

Having watched both teams, my guess is Waukon by at least 3 touchdowns. Both are damn good teams, but I think Waukon will be way to much to handle.

Waukon 42
NH 14

Originally posted by Engine5Driver:
Having watched both teams, my guess is Waukon by at least 3 touchdowns. Both are damn good teams, but I think Waukon will be way to much to handle.

Waukon 42
NH 14

Agree. I think Waukon's defense is the difference in this game and will be too much for the NH offense to deal with. They might score on a busted play, but I see Waukon's defense clamping down and not allowing long drives. Waukon is too physical on both sides of the ball for NH to keep pace.

Question for guys that have seen New Hampton play. What is NH offense mentality (run or pass first), are they fast? I remember New Hampton was pretty big up front last year but looking at this years roster they don't have a lot of big guys this year. Maybe with how physical Waukon is up front on both side of the ball it will be too much for New Hampton to over come.

Have seen New Hampton play a couple times, and they are not very big this year, but doesn't mean that they are not a physical team. They do have some speed with Ambrose and with Tenge back now, they also have some good receivers in Smith, & Rentschler. New Hampton will always be a run first team, although I think there passing game has came along way this year and will have to succeed to beat Waukon.

I think we were having much of the same conversations last year with New Hampton and Waukon, and New Hampton went up to Waukon and beat them. Let's hope for a great game on Friday night

I think the conversations last year were much different. New Hampton was coming off a whipping by Union and most NH fans didn't think they had a chance against Waukon. They were also wondering if Weymiller would be back (he wasn't - probably hurt Waukon more on defense than offense). But it turned out to be a great game and went in NH's favor. Stochl made a lot of key plays for New Hampton at QB. I think both these teams entirely different this year. I also hope NH has plenty of people working the concession stand and has walking Taco's available...

This is a question for anybody that wants to answer. With a win over New Hampton, Waukon can have 3 home games leading to the dome but What are the chances that Waukon plays a Mount Vernon, Monticello or Center Point-Urbana in the first round and IAHSAA puts the game at UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls. I think it would really suck for the players, coaches, fans and community because Waukon has never hosted a home playoff game. Last year the state made Waukon go to Center Point-Urbana so maybe they would make anybody come up to Waukon next Wednesday. Whats everybody opinion?

This post was edited on 10/23 8:39 PM by Waukon88

Originally posted by Waukon88:
This is a question for anybody that wants to answer. With a win over New Hampton, Waukon can have 3 home games leading to the dome but What are the chances that Waukon plays a Mount Vernon, Monticello or Center Point-Urbana in the first round and IAHSAA puts the game at UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls. I think it would really suck for the players, coaches, fans and community because Waukon has never hosted a home playoff game. Last year the state made Waukon go to Center Point-Urbana so maybe they would make anybody come up to Waukon next Wednesday. Whats everybody opinion?

This post was edited on 10/23 8:39 PM by Waukon88

About a 0% chance of this happening. It isn't a central location and it would actually be further for Waukon to travel than MV. Heck, MV to Waukon is only about 20 more miles than Waukon to CF. This isn't going to happen, imho.

Also, I might be wrong on this but I don't think anyone other than CF played a first round game in the Dome last year.

I believe the state said no games in the dome before the semifinals from now on starting this year, expect of course if CF is playing

It would be a 0% chance Waukon88 because the state explicitly said in the playoff handbook that only semi-final and finals would be played at the dome with the exception being teams that play their home games in the dome.

Originally posted by Engine5Driver:

Waukon 42
NH 14
Missed it by that much....lol. Great game NH.

I missed the score by 2 points, dang extra points lol

With that said what a great game, physical, clean, and I would guess you would see these teams play in the Quarters back at NH. Two very evenly matched teams and both really good football teams

Originally posted by NHGuy:
I missed the score by 2 points, dang extra points lol

With that said what a great game, physical, clean, and I would guess you would see these teams play in the Quarters back at NH. Two very evenly matched teams and both really good football teams

Beckman will have something to say about that. They are playing well.

DB offense is better than last years team, defense is young but has come around and dominated a very explosive Cascade team last night, with their playoff experience id put them as the favorite to the dome. but they may have to go through both NH and Waukon in playoffs which wont be easy but my money is on DB to roll to the dome.

A NH Cascade matchup second round will be fun to watch, but Cascade is a young team, next year could be their year to make a big run. NH suprised alot of folks last night, me included.

I dont see any upsets first round.

I know Beckman year in and year out is a good football team, and I'm sure the Waukon/Beckman game will be just as good as NH/Beckman game, but I just think Waukon will beat Beckman, there are few teams that are going to slow down Waukon like NH did. It will be fun to see how it plays out and who comes out of D3/D4

Haven't heard anything on NH center Blake Ohm, looks like he hurt his knee, and wasn't walking well on it. Doesn't hurt them much, just takes them down to really no extra lineman

NHGuy
your right will be great playoff in this division. Id sure like to see who ever wins to go to the finals, NH seems like they have the best Def and Waukon mabey the best Offense, DB the speed and best coaching.

It seems like with good teams its often a match up issue. Can either team stop the others best player? who has more team speed? Can either team exploit the others weakness (coaching).

Was the NH Waukon game as close on the field as the score?

As a NH fan, I think NH controlled most of the game except for about 3 drives. Waukon had to resort to a few trick plays/formations to really beat NH defense. NH also missed a lot of tackles and didn't wrap up and bring Hesse to ground, he is a good quarterback and a few of those are to be expected, and I'm sure that is something NH will want to clean up on in the future.

NH also turned the ball over inside the 5, and then on there last drive gave Waukon a short field to try and win the game after a fumble

This game was more than close on the field as the game ended with Waukon on the NH 15 yard line. A few plays earlier it appeared Waukon threw the game winning TD pass but the receiver could not come up with it. Waukon had too many penalties including a big roughing the punter infraction and an off-sides late in the game which gave NH a key first down. Did New Hampton commit a single penalty? Hats off to the Chickasaws, Waukon seems to bring out the best in them. I would be curious who New Hampton fans would cheer for in a Waukon-Beckman second round game. NH is 2-0 against Waukon the last two years and had their season ended by Beckman last year. So would think would want to see Waukon again. Obviously Waukon and Beckman have first round matchups to take care of first.

Originally posted by NHGuy:
Haven't heard anything on NH center Blake Ohm, looks like he hurt his knee, and wasn't walking well on it. Doesn't hurt them much, just takes them down to really no extra lineman
It would be a fairly significant loss. They have to move a solid tackle to center and then bring in a freshman to play OT. Granted, Hopp is no ordinary freshman and did a nice job against D-1 talents at DE from Waukon last night but they'd rather not have to do that if they can avoid it. They have a few more guys they can shuffle in but they really can't lose another lineman if Ohm can't go.

Originally posted by docf:
NHGuy
your right will be great playoff in this division. Id sure like to see who ever wins to go to the finals, NH seems like they have the best Def and Waukon mabey the best Offense, DB the speed and best coaching.

It seems like with good teams its often a match up issue. Can either team stop the others best player? who has more team speed? Can either team exploit the others weakness (coaching).

Was the NH Waukon game as close on the field as the score?
Whoa...not sure about that. NH has one of the best coaching staffs around. They job they have done this year is nothing short of incredible.

Originally posted by docf:
A NH Cascade matchup second round will be fun to watch, but Cascade is a young team, next year could be their year to make a big run.
I think you'll find that New Hampton is every bit as young as Cascade if not more so. I believe NH only starts about 3 seniors on either side of the ball and will return all basically all their rushing yards and their qb next year. They also play a few sophs and a frosh. Sounds like Cascade is young as well.

Have to agree with the Spoon man, NH definitely younger than Cascade with Cascade having 6 seniors in their top 11 tacklers and New Hampton only 3. Both have junior quarterbacks. Top 4 rushers from NH also underclassmen.

Waukon fan here

Bravo to NH on both sides of the ball. Offense moved the ball effectively, dunno their average per carry but they seemed to punch up the center for 3-5 yards at will. Defense seriously shut down Waukon both on runs and in pass coverage. Might have even had a few more sacks with some aggression. They seemed to hold back on pass rush, fearing Hesse run, and letting their backs do an excellent job.

+1 that penalties hurt Waukon big time. It has been an (underappreciated?) problem all season. When they break a long run, or have Hesse scrambling in the backfield, they've had way too many blocking/holding calls but were able to let the bad habit stand. Finally NH was a team of the caliber to make Waukon pay for such errors. Hope this was a good wakeup for them and they are able to clean up for off season.

And yes, I don't remember a single flag against NH either. I see it as an indication of a solid and disciplined team in a major matchup.

What a great preparation game to launch both teams to playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT