ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball rankings

OHS4life

Freshman
Sep 21, 2001
Please tell me how Gehlen is ranked #8 with a far from stellar record of 16-14? And Bishop Garrigan #11 at 17-13? It's not even like these teams are playing teams like DNH every day. That's completely asanine. Who does the voting for the rankings?

All you see is the record. You have to look past the record. Volleyball over here in northwestern Iowa is very competitive.

For Gehlen Catholic, they have 14 losses currently. These losses have come to teams ranked #2-1A, #4-2A twice, #6-4A, #7-4A, #10-3A, #11-1A, and #13-3A. That's 8 losses right there of their 14. Then they also lost to the #1 team and defending state champion in South Dakota and a ranked team from Minnesota. That's 10 of their 14 losses to higher ranked teams in higher classes.

Their four losses to unranked teams came to 3A Sheldon (16-10), twice to 3A Sergeant Bluff Luton (18-12), and once to 2A Lawton Bronson (23-5... how are they unranked???). So all of their losses have come to teams either ranked above them, in a higher class, or a combination of both.

I will admit that they do not have any signature wins, per say. But they're competing against top tier teams, sticking with them, and then taking care of business against everyone else. It's important to note they started 4th in the rankings and have dropped because of their few losses to unrranked foes.

This has been the case for Gehlen over the past five years. Their record is not great because of their tough schedule, but they always make it to state and make some noise over in Cedar Rapids in class 1A. So having Gehlen ranked is definitely NOT "asinine". It's understandable.

However, I cannot really say the same for Algona Garrigan. Their schedule isn't nearly as difficult, their losses are not as impressive, and their wins about the same. So you've got a point there.

Thanks for the info. I did take a look at their schedule before posting this. Whether they are competing against tough competition or not, I still think #8 is being a little too generous. I do agree with you though in the sense that a good loss is equivalent to a win, however, 14 losses? A true top ten team should win about half, if not more, of those games against good competition. No matter the sport, just because you're playing good competition day in and say out, doesn't mean you should be guaranteed a spot in the rankings.

it's good to see that they split New London and Holy Trinity into different regions. I think the Girls union is better than the boys union at separating local powers into different regions so that the quality at state is stronger.

Agreed. They do do a good job of splitting up the powers..I think the 5-class system really helps with that. Do you know how they decide who gets a first round bye? I'm confused by a few.

6 of garrigans 15 loses have came to Lake Mills and Forest City.......Look the teams up and you will see why.

Yeah..still leaves 9 losses there. One including to Remsen St. Mary's ..who is 5-16. Real impressive.

Originally posted by OHS4life:
Yeah..still leaves 9 losses there. One including to Remsen St. Mary's ..who is 5-16. Real impressive.
OHS4life,

Why so bitter?

This isn't the BCS or the new format in college football (4 team playoff). No one gets left out here. Rankings mean nothing when it comes time to the playoffs. If your team is a good team, then what's it matter if your playing an undeserving ranked team? You'll beat them, right??

Now, I will concede that rankings impact the playoff seeding to a certain extent, but I've seen less of an impact between rankings and seedings in volleyball than I have in girl's basketball over the years.

At the end of the day, you have to beat the team you're playing. PERIOD.

This post was edited on 10/10 8:04 PM by NorthernHawkeye

I'm not bitter, but rather annoyed and confused by the IGHSAU. In no sport should there ever be a team with 14 losses in the top ten. You're right, they are just rankings, but not everyone sees it that way. Not the coaches and players on a team that have worked hard all season, gotten positive results, and have received no recognition. I don't really know why this makes me so mad, they might as well crown Holy Trinity now. They are multiple steps above the rest.

I'm not bitter, but rather annoyed and confused by the IGHSAU. In no sport should there ever be a team with 14 losses in the top ten. You're right, they are just rankings, but not everyone sees it that way. Not the coaches and players on a team that have worked hard all season, gotten positive results, and have received no recognition. I don't really know why this makes me so mad, they might as well crown Holy Trinity now. They are multiple steps above the rest.
Good point. Very good point.

Can I ask what team you are so upset about not being ranked?

One thing about the rankings is that, since they are class specific and not a ranking of the entire state, you have to look at what each team has done specifically against other teams in the same class. That also has a lot to do with rankings. Like in Gehlen's case, all but one of their 14 losses (and even many of their wins) have come against schools in a larger class. But against 1A competition, they are nearly perfect (8-1) and that single 1A loss came to another ranked team.

Nashua Plainfield. Sitting at 18-5. Losses to #4 Tripoli, 3A Williamsburg, 2A #7 Grundy Center, 2A Denver (a team that has 6 victories over ranked teams from multiple classes, yet isn't ranked itself. Weird), and 4A #5 Clear Creek Amana. So, going with your point about how rankings are decided, NP has one loss to a 1A team, who happens to be ranked #4. They have two or three signature wins. #9 Turkey Valley, Hudson, and New Hampton.

Also, I see Garrigan suffered their 16th loss of the season Thursday.
This post was edited on 10/13 2:39 AM by OHS4life

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT