ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Football Rankings - 10/4

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Add your thoughts by replying to this post now!

Class A
1 .) Saint Ansgar 6-0 (Previous: # 1 )
2 .) Grundy Center 6-0 (Previous: # 2 )
3 .) Iowa City Regina 5-1 (Previous: # 3 )
4 .) Edgewood-Colesburg 6-0 (Previous: # 5 )
5 .) Wapsie Valley 5-1 (Previous: # 6 )
6 .) MFL-Mar-Mac 5-1 (Previous: # 7 )
7 .) West Hancock 5-1 (Previous: # 8 )
8 .) Logan-Magnolia 5-1 (Previous: # 10 )
9 .) Lisbon 4-2 (Previous: # Not Rated )
10 .) South Winneshiek 5-1 (Previous: # 4 )

1.Grundy Center
2. Regina
3. St. Ansgar
the rest look pretty good.

Any big games this week in Class A? I think Grundy Center and Belle Plaine play this week for the district title...could be mistaken though.

St. Ansgar plays Lake Mills. Should be another good test for St. Ansgar.

After St. Ansgar beat Newman I was less concerned about Lake Mills as Newman beat Lake Mills by a couple scores. Then I checked the score of the lake mills vs west fork game and that feeling went away.

With what has happened in district 3 in recent weeks I did some looking as to injuries in these games.

Was finally able to find an article that mentioned Newman was without their starting quarterback, who is a sophomore, and a couple lineman in their game against west fork. I figured they had some injuries, but that loss makes more sense now with that info confirmed.

Also, I think St. Ansgar had a cornerback or two that were out for the West Fork game which explains some why they were able to pass the ball so effectively early on. Not sure if they are healthy again or not.

St. Ansgar has yet to face a team that has effectively shut down the rushing attack, so to this point the occasional struggles on defense have been out weighed by the offense getting touchdowns on nearly every drive. Also, they have had more success through the air this year which helps keep defenses honest.

St. Ansgar should win, but they will have to work for it. If St. Ansgar doesn't fix their penalty issues and lake mills forces some turnovers, it will be a close game. If not, I can see St. Ansgar winning by 3 scores in a hard fought game, but it very well may be closer. Looking forward to the game.

After St. Ansgar beat Newman I was less concerned about Lake Mills as Newman beat Lake Mills by a couple scores. Then I checked the score of the lake mills vs west fork game and that feeling went away.

With what has happened in district 3 in recent weeks I did some looking as to injuries in these games.

Was finally able to find an article that mentioned Newman was without their starting quarterback, who is a sophomore, and a couple lineman in their game against west fork. I figured they had some injuries, but that loss makes more sense now with that info confirmed.

Also, I think St. Ansgar had a cornerback or two that were out for the West Fork game which explains some why they were able to pass the ball so effectively early on. Not sure if they are healthy again or not.

St. Ansgar has yet to face a team that has effectively shut down the rushing attack, so to this point the occasional struggles on defense have been out weighed by the offense getting touchdowns on nearly every drive. Also, they have had more success through the air this year which helps keep defenses honest.

St. Ansgar should win, but they will have to work for it. If St. Ansgar doesn't fix their penalty issues and lake mills forces some turnovers, it will be a close game. If not, I can see St. Ansgar winning by 3 scores in a hard fought game, but it very well may be closer. Looking forward to the game.

Lake Mills was also without their stud LB against Newman

Why Lo-Mo and not WA

Who are you talking about? I sure hope it's not Woodward Academy, because they cancelled their season before it even started.

Lo-Ma is a top 5 team even with their record though. They only have 1 loss. They have to have at least one bye on the Western half of the state! I know most people on here are East side homers, but come on man!

The bigger question is how the state is going to keep Regina, Grundy, Ed-Co, and St Ansgar all separate until the semis if they truly seed the pods. That would required some crazy long travel games in the quarters.

Reactions: RichardFitzwel
Who are you talking about? I sure hope it's not Woodward Academy, because they cancelled their season before it even started.

Lo-Ma is a top 5 team even with their record though. They only have 1 loss. They have to have at least one bye on the Western half of the state! I know most people on here are East side homers, but come on man!

The bigger question is how the state is going to keep Regina, Grundy, Ed-Co, and St Ansgar all separate until the semis if they truly seed the pods. That would required some crazy long travel games in the quarters.
I meant West Hancock, and was just wondering his reasoning behind it.

St. Ansgar
Ed-Co
Grundy
Lo-Mo
Regina

1 Grundy Center
2 Regina
3 ST Ansger
I dont think EdCo is a top 5 team yes their record is 6-0 but im not sure they have played anyone with a winning record. I think the state will look at MFL, Wapsie and South Winn as one of the bye teams as they each have 1 loss to each other in what is the toughest district overall.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
1 Grundy Center
2 Regina
3 ST Ansger
I dont think EdCo is a top 5 team yes their record is 6-0 but im not sure they have played anyone with a winning record. I think the state will look at MFL, Wapsie and South Winn as one of the bye teams as they each have 1 loss to each other in what is the toughest district overall.
I don’t see them leaving a undefeated district champion out.

Reactions: IGo42
There will most likely be 3 undefeated teams in Class A (Grundy Center, St Ansgar, EdCo). You have to give each a bye no matter who they have played, they can't control who they get for district opponents. So those three will get byes.
1. Grundy
2. St Ansgar
3. EdCo

The other teams that deserve byes are Regina, Logan Magnolia, and West Hancock.
Regina's only loss came to undefeated 4A Pleasant Valley and Logan Magnolia's only loss came to an undefeated Oakland Craig, Nebraska school who has been steamrolling their competition.
West Hancock's only loss came to a 2A school (Garner Hayfield) and it was the first game of the year.
4. Regina
5. Logan Magnolia
6. West Hancock

If a couple other cellar dwellar Class A teams choose not to participate in the playoffs (which wouldn't shock me) then there might be a couple other byes. If that's the case then they should go to either MFL, SW or Wapsie from District 4 (which is the toughest overall Class A district) or to St Albert who has 2 losses, one coming to Logan Magnolia and the other to 3A undefeated Lewis Central.
7. MFL
8. SW
9. Wapsie
10. St. Albert

My two cents....

Last edited:
1 Grundy Center
2 Regina
3 ST Ansger
I realize Grundy is stomping their opponents, but there opponents combined record only has one more win than Edco (not counting their upcoming game). SA has more but its still only 3 more combined wins from their opponents. Dont get me wrong Edco has played all bad teams except maybe Bellevue who happened to come off a two weeks of rest. But it isnt like the other top teams without a loss have played great teams.

How much will the state look at bc moore for guidance with team playing against all different classes in the middle of the season at the drop of a hat. How would you punish a team like Earlham for playing ADM?

How much will the state look at bc moore for guidance with team playing against all different classes in the middle of the season at the drop of a hat. How would you punish a team like Earlham for playing ADM?
I hope not at all as bc moore has been screwed up all year with teams playing wrong teams and scores.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I agree with you that Ed-Co is not a top 5 team, but you can't skip over an undefeated team for a team coming out of a 3-way tie in their district. The state did say they wouldn't take losses to last minute COVID scheduled teams into account, so that would mean that the state views Regina and Lo-Ma as not having any losses. I could see W. Hancock taking one of the spots too. All could be argued as deserving.

Either way, I don't think the bye is necessarily the best thing for a team that is picking up steam. Better to keep momentum up by rolling a bottom level team then staying at home on Friday IMO. Only benefit is guaranteeing no injuries or COVID spread.

If they keep district opponents separated, then MFL, Wapsie, and S.Winn would all get separate pods and none would have to play a district champion, so if they truly are all top 10 teams, then they should be able to show it by winning their pods.

I agree with you that Ed-Co is not a top 5 team, but you can't skip over an undefeated team for a team coming out of a 3-way tie in their district. The state did say they wouldn't take losses to last minute COVID scheduled teams into account, so that would mean that the state views Regina and Lo-Ma as not having any losses. I could see W. Hancock taking one of the spots too. All could be argued as deserving.

Either way, I don't think the bye is necessarily the best thing for a team that is picking up steam. Better to keep momentum up by rolling a bottom level team then staying at home on Friday IMO. Only benefit is guaranteeing no injuries or COVID spread.

If they keep district opponents separated, then MFL, Wapsie, and S.Winn would all get separate pods and none would have to play a district champion, so if they truly are all top 10 teams, then they should be able to show it by winning their pods.

Thier is no guarentee that you wont have a district rematch in the first round, the biggest question is where will the pods of 3 compared to the pods of 4 be in what area of the state. I think you will see a lot of teams with similar 500 or below records playing each other in the first round especially since they are doing it more geographically. So hypothetically just throwing it out there say a pod of 4 seeded 1 - 4 and Say #1 MFL vs #4 Maq Valley, # 2 Bellevue vs # 4 Alburnette next pod # 1 Edco BYE vs winner of ?????

I think you guys are selling Ed-Co a little short, yes their schedule isn't the strongest, but they are a team made up of Seniors who all contributed on a semifinal team two years ago, they are a strong team. I would say that it is Regina and Grundy, then after that there isn't much separation between the next 5-6 teams.

Iron Doc is pleased with the Fearsome Eagle Beasts' steady improvement across the season. We lost LOT to graduation, but our returning Beasts stepped up big time when they got the chance to start. As to whether WH is ranked accurately will be determined as the season progresses. Iron Doc is optimistic about our chances in the playoffs, bye or no 1st round bye.

Ed-Co is a top 10 team, don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure they are top 5 team. In their semifinal run, they had one of the best RBs around in Rochford. He had almost 2000 rushing yards, and when he went down in the quarterfinals, they couldn't recover. They don't have anyone like that this year. Just look at their stats. They've struggled a bit offensively this year. They have speed and a really good QB, but don't have a bell cow like they did in 2018. Plus they haven't played anyone very good yet this year, so their stats should be skewed the other way. It'll be interesting to see how they do if they get matched up with Wapsie, MFL, S. Winn, or even Lisbon in the 2nd pod.

I’m interested in the result of the Lisbon vs Wapello game this Friday. Wapello has a pretty good team. Lisbon has had to adjust to a couple big injuries. If Lisbon passes that test, I think they’ll be a tough matchup in the playoffs.
Would like to see them play another of these top teams.

I’m interested in the result of the Lisbon vs Wapello game this Friday. Wapello has a pretty good team. Lisbon has had to adjust to a couple big injuries. If Lisbon passes that test, I think they’ll be a tough matchup in the playoffs.
Would like to see them play another of these top teams.
I would agree. I've seen Lisbon twice this year, once against Belle Plaine and then the Regina game. Looked like totally different teams. I think their starting QB and RB are both out and were out against Regina. Stats from Friday looked like they made some major moves offensively (which were needed IMO). I'd think any run dominant team would not want to see Lisbon in the playoffs.

Reactions: IGo42 and Pinehawk
Lisbon had 410 rushing yards against Wapello and 52 points. I guess they got the offense figured out! I didn't see that one coming. They'll be a tough team to play going forward. I kinda hope they get matched up against someone other than Regina in the 2nd pod to see how they match up against the other top teams, but my guess is Regina Lisbon in the quarters. Should be one heck of a game!

There's gonna be some really good round 2 games, S O'Brien and Ridgeview, HMS v Alta, & S Winn v Lake Mills and none of them are close to me! Gonna have to settle or go for a long roadtrip!

Yeah, Lisbon did put up some points. Did give up 28 to Wapello as well though. Lisbon will be a tough out.
I hope they try to avoid District rematches when they reseed.
Fans, teams and players want to see and play new teams and see different match ups I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT