ADVERTISEMENT

Update on former Iowa HS b-baller Daniel Jansen

May 1, 2012
I apologize if we're not supposed to post stuff like this here, but I thought some fans on here might find it interesting that former MOC-Floyd Valley standout Daniel Jansen just helped lead the Augustana Vikings to the D2 Elite Eight for the first time in school history and has earned a slew of awards this season.

Along with becoming Augustana's all-time career scoring leader this season and being named conference Player of the Year in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, Dan was recently named D2 Central Region Player of the Year. According to the Augie press release:
Jansen was voted as the 2015-16 D2 Conference Commissioner's Association Central Region Player of the Year, the D2CCA announced Monday. Jansen and fellow senior Casey Schilling both were named All-Central Region First Team by the D2CCA.

Jansen has been named Central Region Player of the Year and First Team All-Central Region in two straight seasons. Schilling was also named First Team All-Central Region last season.

Along with those honors, Dan (along with teammate Schilling) made the Top 25 cut for the Bevo Francis Award. According to its description:
The lists consists of 25 of the finest men's basketball players in the country who compete in the affiliations of NCAA Division II, III, NAIA Division I, II, USCAA and NCCAA. The 16-member Bevo Francis Award committee chose the top 50 watch list from over 1,100 colleges and universities and took into consideration individual statistics, awards, milestones and career success.

Very glad Daniel chose to attend Augie and help the Vikings reach new heights as a program. Also very glad his younger brother, Levi, will be playing for us next season.

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong place for this kind of thing (I'm sure plenty of former Iowa high school players could have college career awards listed in threads like this), but there have just been such an array of accolades that I thought people might enjoy catching up on where his career is at right now. If not, a moderator can delete this thread or people can just ignore it as desired.

How does this kid 5x better than a Kriner or McCaffery go to Augie while they end up D1 LOL No wonder Hawks hoops cannot win anything.

It really is sad to watch McCaffrey go 1-8 or whatever it was in the title game and lose. He just looked like he was invisible, and he has a full scholly locked up at Iowa, but the Janssen kid can put up 42 and is a great overall player by my measure and he never even got looked at by Iowa apparently.

Makes you really wonder what the coaching staff is doing...I watched that game at state this year and his previous state games as a soph and freshman and I can comfortably say he is already way ahead of what gessel and Clemons are as ball players.

/hawk rant over

Reactions: StatewidePundit
McCaffery is 118-85 at Iowa (89-48 the last four years) and and was 112-51 at Siena in 5 years before that. Yeah, the poor idiot has no idea what he's doing...

I agree.^^^

And I laugh watching the Hawks today that Woodbury and gessell went through that program for four years and didn't seem to progress much at all as players. I know gessell had a decent assist to to ratio, but neither of those seniors could create anything on their own all four years.

Makes me wonder what the coaching staff was up to every offseason when gessell never developed a left hand and Woodbury never tried to do anything but rely on being taller that everyone else to get boards. The older Janssen would have at least been a threat to score for four years and I have no idea but are the soukup brothers walk ons or do they have scholly's?

They are walk ons and I can't believe that Iowa, Iowa State, UNI, Northwestern, Texas Tech, Minnesota, etc. missed on the kid, the list can continue if you want.

When you play aau with those guys (Woodbury and gessell) and out perform them you should be noticed by Iowa and uni at least...not saying he should have got an offer anywhere else.

McCaffery is 118-85 at Iowa (89-48 the last four years) and and was 112-51 at Siena in 5 years before that. Yeah, the poor idiot has no idea what he's doing...
118-85 hahahahahahaha 7/10 out of conference games are gimmies or should be , but not to Jolly Mr Happy Mac
Throw out his Big 10 record and see how he is doing and look out for those dandy recruits he has coming that stiff from SL and those slow D3 looking boys of his
btw , nice Olay job today made the Rose Bowl debacle look close

You're vastly overrating the type of program Iowa should be if you think 7/10 conference games should be "gimmies". Given the lack of talent available in the state of Iowa and the fact Iowa is not all a national university, I think Macaffery has done just fine.

Last edited:
You're vastly overrating the type of program Iowa should be if you think 7/10 conference games should be "gimmies". Given the lack of talent available in the state of Iowa and the fact Iowa is not all a national university, I think Macaffery has done just fine.
UNI seems to do well with the lack of talent in Iowa, take a look at that roster and who was on the floor yesterday. That being said yes it was a horrible way to loose, but controlling a game for all but 30 seconds with lack of talent in Iowa against an A&M that has all kind of talent. I know the MVC is not the Big Ten but that being said the iowa kids looked pretty good yesterday, maybe it does have something to do with who is coaching them, who knows.

This guy gets it^^^^

To me, Ben Jacobsen is the Gregg popovich of college basketball as far as maximizing the talent you have to work with. Epic collapse, but there was a key injury. Feel bad for those guys but was proud with the way they represented the state of Iowa with their class and dignity in the post game presser. And coming from a hawks fan, I hope my kids grow up dreaming of being Panthers as long as a guy like Coach Jacobsen is there.

First of all, congratulations to Jansen and the Vikings on a fine season and good luck going for the National Championship.

Good to see all the couch coaches out following a wild Sunday! My how opinions can change over a two month period. I'm pretty sure Fran is that same coach now that he was in January when everybody was ready to help erect his statue. Guess that Tom Izzo guy is pretty lousy too huh...what a bum!!

Agreed, congrats to Jansen on a great college career and hoping it goes another 3 games.

Like almost everyone, I was upset after yesterday's game(s) but if you sit back and realize what those seniors did for the Hawkeye program...that's a big deal. Second winningest class ever for the Hawks. Played hard, great students, weren't in any trouble off the court, I'd say they represent the state very well. Same thing goes for UNI kids. I think there are a lot of good players in Iowa and capable of playing D1 ball. That doesn't mean they are all Barnes or Paige. Unfortunately people aren't realistic and think that because the kid is D1 that he should average 20 and 10. Look the stats up...not every player averages that...most teams don't have 1 kid that does that, even the teams with those McDonald's all-americans. Most Iowa kids are just fundamentally sound and play hard, I'd take that every day.

P.S. Maybe Drake should consider looking at some of the kids slipping away to other small D1 or D2 schools outside of Iowa. It's helped UNI and Iowa.

Reactions: Jroetman
UNI seems to do well with the lack of talent in Iowa, take a look at that roster and who was on the floor yesterday. That being said yes it was a horrible way to loose, but controlling a game for all but 30 seconds with lack of talent in Iowa against an A&M that has all kind of talent. I know the MVC is not the Big Ten but that being said the iowa kids looked pretty good yesterday, maybe it does have something to do with who is coaching them, who knows.

I am a big Ben Jacobsen fan. He is a tremendous coach. With that said, werent they 10-11 at one point this season? They had to make a last second shot to get into the dance. They made a half court shot to win the first round game. Unfortunately, they had the biggest collapse in the history of basketball yesterday. Those are not world beating moments in my mind. Yes, i was rooting for them yesterday and was talking to my kids about the players that all grew up within the state of Iowa on that roster.

Just thought I would add that, just today, Jansen was named to the Division II Conference Commissioner's Association All-America Team as a 1st Team honoree.

According to the Augustana press release:
Augustana is the only school in the country with more than one player on the D2CCA All-America Team. Jansen was named to the First Team, Schilling earned third team honors. The D2CCA All-America Team was formerly named the Daktronics All-America Team. Jansen was a second team selection last season, Schilling earned honorable mention honors.

The D2CCA Men's Basketball All-America team was voted on by the NCAA Division II Sports Information Directors from institutions and conferences.

Jansen, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward from Orange City, Iowa, is averaging 20.7 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 53.8 percent from the field. He was named the NSIC's Player of the Year for the second straight season in 2015-16 and earned his third straight All-NSIC First Team honor. He has set a new single season scoring mark in 2015-16 with 683 points and has scored in double-digits in 31 of 33 games this season, including 20-plus points 18 times. Jansen became Augustana's all-time leading scorer this season and currently has scored 2,217 career points. He also became the NSIC's all-time leading scorer in 2015-16 having scored 1,521 points in 88 career conference games. Jansen also ranks fifth all-time at Augustana with 845 career rebounds. Jansen is one of just five active players in Division II (11 in all of NCAA basketball) with 2,000-plus career points and 600-plus career rebounds.

Congrats to Dan on the continued success. The Vikings play in the D2 Elite Eight Wednesday night at 6 PM against a really strong Tarleton State team. Should be fun to see if Jansen and the Vikes can keep their success rolling for a few more games.

MrAugustana, do you know if there is anyway to watch this game? Somewhere online maybe? Thanks

The link chibull2000 posted should work (scroll to the bottom and there should be a "Video" or "Live Video" link next to the Augie/Tarleton State game. You can also just pull it up through NCAA.com if that's not working for some reason.

You could also just hit up www.goaugie.com/elite8 for a whole Elite Eight microsite. Has links to the Augie Elite Eight blog, info on viewing/listening, etc.

Reactions: dilbert27
just saw on the news that Jansen went down with what looked like a ankle/foot injury. Looked pretty serious. Could be a huge problem for the vikings.

Sioux Falls News is reporting a fractured big toe from a previous hs injury. Too bad, hopefully he can tough it out but definitely doesn't sound like he's anywhere close to normal.

Sioux Falls News is reporting a fractured big toe from a previous hs injury. Too bad, hopefully he can tough it out but definitely doesn't sound like he's anywhere close to normal.

Huh. Also alarming. Definitely wouldn't be good for us if it's that bad.

The Vikes win it anyway, even without 1st Team All-American and leading scorer Daniel Jansen! Jansen actually didn't play in this one, but other guys stepped up and we got the win. On to the Final Four!

Felt bad for him, saw him taking it pretty hard pre game. Really gutsy team effort to win one for their captain.

Two more updates to add to Dan's list. A few days ago, he and teammate Casey Schilling were also named to the NABC's 16-player All-America team (no 1st Team, 2nd Team, etc...it's just 16 players who make the cut). They were the only two players from the same team who made it.

Along with that, the news just broke that Daniel was named the NABC D2 Men's Basketball Player of the Year. Here's more info from the Augie athletics website for anyone interested: http://goaugie.com/news/2016/3/24/m...-national-player-of-the-year-by-the-nabc.aspx

Augustana's Daniel Jansen named 2016 Division II National Player of the Year by the NABC

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Augustana's Daniel Jansen has been named the 2016 National Association of Basketball Coaches' Division II Player of the Year the national organization announced Thursday morning.

Jansen, a member of the NABC All-America team, will receive his award at the AT&T NABC Guardians of the Game Awards Show on Sunday, April 3, at the Cullen Theater at Wortham Center in Houston, Texas at 6:30 p.m. (CT).

Jansen, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward from Orange City, Iowa is the first men's basketball player in Augustana history to be named National Player of the Year by the NABC. Jansen was the first at Augustana to score over 2,000 career points and is the school's all-time leading scorer with 2,217 points. He also ranks fifth all-time with 845 rebounds in his career. Jansen has been named to seven All-America teams in his career and has been named the NSIC and Central Region Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons.

A three-time All-NSIC First Team selection, Jansen is averaging 20.7 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 53.8 percent from the field. He recently earned his third straight All-NSIC First Team honor. He has set a new single season scoring mark in 2015-16 with 683 points and has scored in double-digits in 31 of 33 games this season, including 20-plus points 18 times. Jansen also became the NSIC's all-time leading scorer in 2015-16 having scored 1,521 points in 88 career conference games. Jansen is one of just five active players in Division II (11 in all of NCAA basketball) with 2,000-plus career points and 600-plus career rebounds.

Prior to Wednesday night's game against Tarleton State in the NCAA Divison II Elite Eight, Jansen had started all 128 games of his career. Jansen suffered an injury at shoot around prior to the Elite Eight and sat out last night's game, missing the first game of his entire career at Augustana.

The Vikings defeated Tarleton State 86-79 at Dr Pepper Arena on Wednesday night to advance to the Final Four for the first time in program history. Augustana will take on Western Oregon for a shot in the national title game at 8:30 p.m. (CT) tonight.

Augustana enters tonight's game with a record of 32-2 on the season, marking a new single season record for wins.

Congrats again to Daniel. Hope he's ready/able to play tonight. If not, I hope some other Vikes step up in his place like they did last night.

Herculean effort tonight by the big man tonight to not only play but hit 3 three's in the first half to get them a big lead and played sparingly in second half as the Vikings cruise to a big victory and a seat in the championship game.

Championship game is Saturday at 2 PM on CBS (main CBS channel, not CBS Sports Net or any of those). Jansen will hopefully be even more healthy with a full day off. Should be an exciting game down in Frisco either way!

I hope it is a national broadcast but I was under the impression it was just local Sioux Falls cbs stations. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I hope it is a national broadcast but I was under the impression it was just local Sioux Falls cbs stations. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Oh it's national. Sorry. I thought you just didn't have any access to a TV. It'll be on the main CBS channel nationwide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT