ADVERTISEMENT

"unattached" high school runners

stick13

Freshman
Feb 27, 2005
How and why does someone run "unattached" in high school competition? Why wouldn't you run for your high school? Running "unattached" would keep them out of championship contention - yes? Just wondering.

Good question! Could a non-eligible student run "unattached?' Do they have to pay their own entry fee?

Awesome question. Two different scenarios come to mind. Verzbickas from Illinois didn't compete for his high school and competed in mostly open/collegiate meets and national high school meets. Not a normal situation but it worked for him.

Regarding Iowa athletes: Before the season starts, unnatached, out of state etc... is ok as long as there are no ties to the school including travel and being coached by your high school coach.

Iowa academic rule: I think the IHSAA has already pre-empted this by making sure AD's don't allow unattatched athletes in sanctioned events. By doing so raises liability issues as well as the obvious attempts to by-pass the academic penalty mandated by the Association/Union to begin with. Not sure how it works with high school meets hosted by colleges but I think they operate under the guise/sanctioning of the Association/Union. Same with the Drake Relays. I wouldn't even think about traveling out of state to compete unnatached without asking first just to make sure I didn't violate other mileage/participation rules during the competitive season. When in doubt, pay the penalty for not keeping up in the classroom and get ready for your opportunity when it comes. No sense in trying to beat a system that has been well thought out.

I think this question is in regards to a female who ran unattached and won the 1500m at the Central Indoor on March 17th, the day of the post. That girl is a senior at WDM Valley. WDM Valley was on Spring Break starting that weekend and maybe she was in town but the team was not going. Or, another reason possibly?

Hats off to her and her family! I bet she's been training very hard to have a memoriable senior season. If the kid has the grades and the passion why in the world would should she not be allowed to compete? Running is so overlooked as an important sport that carries over into adulthood. Good health and fitness, Something that Americas health care system could use.

Update: The athlete in question actually did not go out for her high school team. I still say congrats on a great race (won the 3000m not 1500m) and great career. Her school will miss her contributions.

best4boys - "anyone know why she didn't go out for track?"

No, and there are two additional distance standouts at her school (WDM Valley) who did the same by not coming out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT