ADVERTISEMENT

Twin Lakes Conference

Magic 10

Freshman
Aug 29, 2002
At the Storm Lake Jamboree. South Central Calhoun Defeated OABCIG without Haley Birks by 20. Newell-Fonda Defeated Cherokee by 19. Alta-Aurelia Edged out Emmetsburg by 2. St. Mary's lost to Ridgeview by 2, and I didn't stick around for Sioux Central vs. Storm Lake game. I saw that East Sac defeated Storm Lake by 30 or so on Friday Night, and Alta-Aurelia defeated GTRA by 14. I feel it is going to be interesting to see how these teams evolve during the course of the season.

South Central is going to beat a lot of people by 20. Newell Fonda has to be really athletic. I know they lost Maneman and Larson- but the cupboard is never bare at Newell Fonda. Alta-Aurelia could be much better. Have some good young kids as I understand. The twin lakes is going to be very good this year. Pocahontas Area, South Central Calhoun and Newell Fonda are probably three early favorites to make the state tourney in their respective classes.
Should be fun.

Final Twin Lakes Conference Standings:
Pocahontas 9-1 (lost to Newell-Fonda)
Newell-Fonda 9-1 (lost to Manson)
Manson 8-2 (lost to Pocahontas and South Central Calhoun)
South Central Calhoun (lost to Pocahontas and Newell-Fonda)
East Sac 6-4
Alta-Aurelia 4-6
Sioux Central 4-5 (played GTRA last night Score not reported)
SE Valley 3-6
St. Mary's 2-8
GTRA 1-8
WB-M 0-10

This league had a lot of great battles this season. Season flew by fast. Best of Luck Twin Lakes Teams during the Tournament trail.

I see they put SCC,
MNW,SE in same district. I know they try to put top 8 in separate districts but wow, who ever goes to state from those 3 are very fortunate and hopefully do some damage down in des moines!

Originally posted by Magic 10:
Final Twin Lakes Conference Standings:
Pocahontas 9-1 (lost to Newell-Fonda)
Newell-Fonda 9-1 (lost to Manson)
Manson 8-2 (lost to Pocahontas and South Central Calhoun)
South Central Calhoun (lost to Pocahontas and Newell-Fonda)
East Sac 6-4
Alta-Aurelia 4-6
Sioux Central 4-5 (played GTRA last night Score not reported)
SE Valley 3-6
St. Mary's 2-8
GTRA 1-8
WB-M 0-10

This league had a lot of great battles this season. Season flew by fast. Best of Luck Twin Lakes Teams during the Tournament trail.
Shouldn't the top 4 be:
1) Newell-Fonda 9-1 (tied with Poky, but have the head to head)
2) Pocahontas 9-1
3) South Central Calhoun 8-2 (tied with Manson, but have the head to head)
4) Manson 8-2

no. considering N-F lost to Manson. and even though only one of the games count towards Conference Poky did beat N-F pretty handily in their first matchup. Head to Head really has no bearing on outright conference champ.

Yes, N-F's one loss was to Manson, but they've got the head to head tiebreaker win over Pocahontas.

Also, you mentioned in your post the game that N-F lost to Pocahontas was a non-conference games, so it doesn't matter how handily they beat them. That game doesn't count in the conference standings.

Does you last statement mean that the conference has no rules for declaring a champion if there is a tie in record? That would seem pretty short sighted…I would think a conference champion would be better than having co-champs. Most years, especially in a league that has Newell-Fonda, Manson, and South Central Calhoun, teams aren't going to get through undefeated. There is always a possibility with ties.

I am not sure exactly how it works, all I know is when there is a tie regardless of head to head the Twin Lakes Conference has always gone with co-champs. Its Iowa high school basketball. We're not talking about the college football playoff or anything and it really has no impact on Regions. Its really not that big of a deal. I really see nothing wrong with awarding both schools as conference champs.

3 schools will be representing the Twin Lakes conference at state tourney. Congrats to Newell-Fonda, South Central Calhoun, and Pocahontas Area/laurens-marathon. What an impressive conference.

3-0 in the first round of the state tournament. N-F and SCC have some tall tasks ahead of them in round 2, each having to play the #1 teams. Clear Lake had a great game plan against Poky, but in the end, Poky was just able to make more plays with their athletes.

When you combine who's left in classes 1A-3A and 25% of those teams are from the same conference....not bad.

Newell-Fonda with a huge win over defending champs and #1 Notre Dame. thats one TLC school in the finals.. here to hoping for 2 more.

I was really impressed with Newell-Fonda' s Defense during the State tournament. Springville had a great shooting team. When they had open looks they knocked them down. A great run by the Mustangs.

South Central Calhoun ran into a buzz saw with Unity Christian. So many weapons and a team that was truly the best at the state tournament. I was hoping to see a Western/Unity rematch as that game would have been a see/saw battle all the way, but hats off to North Linn for their great game and knocking off Western. It appeared that game took a lot of their legs for the Unity game, but that is one of the many factors when playing the best teams at State.

Pocahontas- Great season- so much to be proud of. It wasn't meant to be this year. Future does look bright!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT