ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament, rankings and more

w.churchill

Freshman
Sep 28, 2005
Why did Norwalk wear long sleeves during the tournament? Long sleeve white on Fri when it was 85 degrees and long sleeve dark jerseys on Sat.

They did last year too, it was just as hot, maybe even hotter... and it worked out fine for them then.

Oh but aren't those jerseys just the most beautiful ones you've ever seen ;)

Maybe it was karma? Who knows. They all say that they prefer them over the short sleeves. They say the jerseys breathe well enough that often times it doesn't matter.

1st let me say I am a Wahlert fan.

Now, many reviews from newspapers set the stage for games with a phase like -- unranked Wahlert plays #1 seed or #2 ranked, etc. If anything, being unranked let Wahlert fly under the radar. Why they were unranked is a bit of a mystery to me -- they even dropped from those receiving votes category late in the season.

Wahlert returned 10 starters from a team that has been to the state tournament 3 years in a row and 4 of the past 5. They had a D1 player, a three year starter in goal who recorded 23 career shut outs playing a 2A conference, a couple D3s soccer players and a couple more who have opted to play football in the fall.

They beat Xavier and 2A #4 CR Washington; lost in the 98th min to Iowa City West, lost in overtime to top ten ranked CR Kennedy and lost in a shoot out first game of the season. 10-3 in the MVC.

Perhaps coaches tend to vote for their conference teams, perhaps they don't have information to make informed votes. Here is a tip for next year -- Wahlert graduated 9 starters -- rank them, I'll be surprised if they aren't back at state.

I look for Wahlert to make a run to the state tournament.
I just don't look for them to do much with all the players they will be missing and everyone else other teams have coming back.

Originally posted by w.churchill:
1st let me say I am a Wahlert fan.

Now, many reviews from newspapers set the stage for games with a phase like -- unranked Wahlert plays #1 seed or #2 ranked, etc. If anything, being unranked let Wahlert fly under the radar. Why they were unranked is a bit of a mystery to me -- they even dropped from those receiving votes category late in the season.

Wahlert returned 10 starters from a team that has been to the state tournament 3 years in a row and 4 of the past 5. They had a D1 player, a three year starter in goal who recorded 23 career shut outs playing a 2A conference, a couple D3s soccer players and a couple more who have opted to play football in the fall.

They beat Xavier and 2A #4 CR Washington; lost in the 98th min to Iowa City West, lost in overtime to top ten ranked CR Kennedy and lost in a shoot out first game of the season. 10-3 in the MVC.

Perhaps coaches tend to vote for their conference teams, perhaps they don't have information to make informed votes. Here is a tip for next year -- Wahlert graduated 9 starters -- rank them, I'll be surprised if they aren't back at state.

State Championship not enough vindication for you?

Clyde -- no need for vindication. Let me suggest that if something is worth doing -- taking pools for instance, you might as well have a poll that does not have glaring omissions. It just makes for a better poll.

Take any team -- in this case Wahlert, that had the success they had against known quality teams -- and to drop them from receiving votes category showed a weakness in the voting system.

I think polls are fun -- gives something for fans to follow, why not make them as good as possible?

I think there was a typo when it didn't have them in the receiving votes category, I know for a fact they got at least one vote.

Originally posted by w.churchill:
Clyde -- no need for vindication. Let me suggest that if something is worth doing -- taking pools for instance, you might as well have a poll that does not have glaring omissions. It just makes for a better poll.

Take any team -- in this case Wahlert, that had the success they had against known quality teams -- and to drop them from receiving votes category showed a weakness in the voting system.

I think polls are fun -- gives something for fans to follow, why not make them as good as possible?

I understand your point. It's an oversight problem that the sport of soccer does not hold a monopoly in.
This post was edited on 6/7 8:52 AM by clyde_williams

Originally posted by nhssoccer:
I think there was a typo when it didn't have them in the receiving votes category, I know for a fact they got at least one vote.

Hey coach,

Off topic, but what is the criteria for all-conference selection in the LHC? Is it nomination by a player's coach and selection by vote of conference coaches? Do final standing results factor in, which they probably should, in the number of nominees accepted?

Coaches nominate players, then the conference coaches vote, pretty political, not always all the best players on first team, but like all recognition systems there will always be flaws, we'll see the same debate when all-state is announced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT