ADVERTISEMENT

The pods! The pods!

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
Let’s take a look. Some oddities - all three of the D-1 teams that tied for the title get a bye (with 5-2 records), yet North Scott (4-1, also tied for their title undefeated in-district) does not? Neither does 6-1 Ballard or 7-1 West Delaware or 5-1 Lewis Central? Waterloo East gets pounded 62-6 by West Delaware in Manchester, so the state tells them “yeah, you get to go to Manchester again. Good luck.”

POD 1: SBL (5-2) gets a bye. Denison-Schleswig (1-5) at Carroll (3-4) in the first round. Pretty favorable pod for SBL. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: SBL.

POD 2: Spencer (5-2) gets a bye. Heelan (1-6) at Humboldt (4-3) in the first round. Humboldt is decent - only lost to Ballard by 3 and Webster City by 7. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Spencer.

POD 3: BHRV (5-2) gets a bye. LeMars (1-5) at Storm Lake (2-5) in the first round. Storm Lake beat LeMars 27-6 a week ago, and BHRV already beat them both. A great pod for BHRV. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: BHRV.

POD 4: Webster City (7-0) gets a bye. Mason City (2-3) at Gilbert (4-2) in the first round. Gilbert’s not a bad team, but Webster City crushed them by 41 points a week ago. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Webster City.

POD 5: Decorah (6-1) gets a bye. Charles City (0-5) at Dubuque Wahlert (4-2) in the first round. Wahlert had a shot at the D-4 title, but were blown out by both Assumption and West Delaware (a team Decorah beat). LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Decorah.

POD 6: No byes here. Waterloo East (1-6) at West Delaware (7-1) in one first round game, a matchup West Delaware already won 62-6 last night; Waverly-Shell Rock (4-3) at Western Dubuque (4-3) in the other. WSR gave Decorah their only loss, so they can be dangerous, and Western Dubuque is the defending state champion - but everybody in this pod has already lost convincingly by 35 points or more to West Delaware. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: West Delaware.

POD 7: Xavier (7-0) gets a bye. Marion (2-4) at Clear Creek-Amana (4-3) in the first round. Injuries have hurt Marion, who hasn’t won since September 18: Xavier beat CCA 30-7 earlier in the season, LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Xavier.

POD 8: Davenport Assumption (7-0) gets a bye. Clinton (0-6) at Central DeWitt (4-3) in the first round. CDW already beat Clinton 35-0, while Assumption has beaten both teams convincingly. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Assumption.

POD 9: No byes. Burlington (1-5, with just a 1-point win over Fairfield) at North Scott (4-1, only loss to undefeated 4A Pleasant Valley) in one first-round game; Benton (3-4) at Mount Pleasant (3-3, including a win over CCA in August) in the other. While North Scott doesn’t get a bye, they do get a very favorable pod. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: North Scott.

POD 10: Washington (7-0) gets a bye. Fairfield (1-6) at Keokuk (3-3) in the other. Washington has already beaten both teams by 40+. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Washington.

POD 11: Newton (0-7) at Grinnell (5-2) in one first-round game; Knoxville (1-6) at Fort Madison (6-1) in the other. Grinnell already romped over Newton 57-13 - a potential Grinnell vs Fort Madison second-round game could be a good one. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: The best team Fort Madison has beaten is probably Keokuk, so how good are they? Grinnell hung with Harlan to start the season and rolled everybody else but Xavier. I’ll go with Grinnell.

POD 12: Dallas Center-Grimes (6-0) gets a bye. Oskaloosa (2-5) at Carlisle (4-3) in the first round. Carlisle does have a nice win over Nevada; while DCG beat Pella in August, they’ve barely gotten by ADM and Winterset the last two weeks. A DCG/Carlisle second-round game could be pretty good. Still ... LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Dallas Center-Grimes.

POD 13: Pella (5-2) gets a bye. North Polk (1-6) at Winterset (5-2) in the first round. Winterset lost a close game to DCG this week, but their best win is over ADM. A pretty good pod for Pella. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Pella.

POD 14: No bye here, plus what has to be a typo. While the state says Ballard at Boone, it has to be Boone (0-7) at Ballard (6-1) in one game, and Perry (0-7) at Nevada (5-2) in the other. Not much drama expected in the first round - in the second you’d likely see Ballard at Nevada (last alphabetical). Ballard’s only loss was to undefeated Webster City by a point. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Ballard.

POD 15: Harlan (7-0) gets a bye. ADM (3-4) at Bondurant-Farrar (4-3) in what could be a good first round game. B-F‘s best win is over Carlisle, but they‘ve lost to Carroll as well as Pella and Nevada. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Harlan.

POD 16: Two more first-round games. Creston (1-6) at Lewis Central (5-1) and Norwalk (1-5) at Glenwood (5-2), setting up a likely Glenwood at Lewis Central second-round game. Lewis Central beat Glenwood by 4 touchdowns in September. LIKELY POD SURVIVOR: Lewis Central.

A very likely final sixteen, with possible four-team brackets could be:

-BHRV at SBL
-Lewis Central at Harlan

-Spencer at Webster City
-Ballard at DCG

-West Delaware at Decorah
-Assumption at North Scott (?)

-Grinnell at Xavier
-Pella at Washington

Ya know, or ... not. I dunno.

Last edited:
thks , probably hard to keep everyone happy...;i hate the first round bye, wonder why they did that

DCG lost their Sr Quarterback after the Pella game and they lost a potential AllState running back during the ADM game. Not sure if either will be back, but definitely a reason for offense being less productive after Pella game. At least that's what I'm seeing on VB.

DCG lost their Sr Quarterback after the Pella game and they lost a potential AllState running back during the ADM game. Not sure if either will be back, but definitely a reason for offense being less productive after Pella game. At least that's what I'm seeing on VB.
harlan qb that was suppose to come back this year , that had light duty during of season due to

I could see a flip of the last bracket there. Pella at Xavier and Grinnell at Washington...it would avoid District remate in the "real" playoff rounds.

still like xavier to win it all, after watching them against grinell, they were unstoppable....they are not big, but seem to just turn every play into 5 or 6 yards..and their hurry up offense,,,,confuses defense,s

I'm not much into guessing what IHSAA will do after the 1st round, but, I've heard they will not necessarily have pod 1 winner vs pod 2 winner or pod 15 winner vs pod 16 winner, etc . but will base it on travel and who knows what other thoughts they come up with.

I'm not much into guessing what IHSAA will do after the 1st round, but, I've heard they will not necessarily have pod 1 winner vs pod 2 winner or pod 15 winner vs pod 16 winner, etc .

Yes, the Association has already made that clear. Total reset once they get to 16 teams, and another reset for the semis.

I could see a flip of the last bracket there. Pella at Xavier and Grinnell at Washington...it would avoid District remate in the "real" playoff rounds.

Anything is possible, and I’m not gonna pretend like I’m even smart enough to get all 16 pod winners right. But here’s why I think Xavier-Grinnell and Pella-Washington could be likely:

* I don’t think District rematches are that big a deal to the IHSAA this year. I mean, you see how many times district opponents play in the 1st and 2nd round (10 in the first round, potentially 11 in the second) ... given that it’s 2020 (gesturing around vaguely), I don’t think they’re going to worry that much about it.

* Seeding-wise, I’d rank those 4 as Xavier-Washington-Pella-Grinnell, which makes those matchups logical. Maybe someone might seed Grinnell over Pella, I guess, that wouldn‘t be crazy.

* Travel-wise, Pella to Washington is about 80 miles less round-trip than Pella to Cedar Rapids. With there being no difference in miles for Grinnell between CR or Washington, that’s just one more little factor.

But I’m wrong a lot, so ...

spokesman from the ihsaa stated the playoffs will be like 3 new tornaments, , after each round everyone would in large pool, and it will be like another start of a new tournment....they will also try not to have rematches if all possible..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT