ADVERTISEMENT

The End Zone - September 28th Edition

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Please remember and abide by the rules of The End Zone. The End Zone is for Iowa prep fans only. Whatever is said in The End Zone, must stay in The End Zone.

This week's recruiting updates: Maliki Wilson, Ryan Cortum, Landon Rash, Brawntae Wells, Alec Potthoff, Ben Ferkin, Jacob Lietz, Derrick Henkenius, Derek Manternach, and David Wedewer.

..........................................................................................................................................
Algona guard Landon Rash

Coe College visit
"I thought it was good. It was a good school and I definitely like the coaches there. I get along with Coach Martin really well. I got a chance to play with their guys and that went well. I got a good feel for it and I liked it."

Recruiting
"Right now Coe is up there, Grand View, and I talked to Luther some on the phone. I know their coach wants me to visit some time. I also talked to the Northwestern coach and I'll visit there soon. We'll see how that goes. I know Buena Vista had some interest in me as well."

Recruiting the hardest
"At this point right now I'd definitely say Coe is at the top."

A favorite
"I really like Grand View. They are having an elite camp on October 10th and I am going to do that. I am looking forward to that. They are at the top of my list but it is definitely early."

..........................................................................................................................................
Van Meter guard Alec Potthoff

Recruiting
"I've gotten letters from a lot of smaller football schools and Luther has contacted for basketball. They are the only school that has talked to me for basketball."

A sporting lean
"I would be leaning towards playing basketball in college if I was to play one of the two."

Playing sports in college
"I'd like to play college basketball."

Other basketball interest
"I was invited to a Simpson camp but it was just a letter."

Waukee quarterback Ben Ferkin

Recruiting
"Iowa State, UNI, a couple of Division II schools, and then some Ivy League schools. I plan on waiting until after the season (before deciding)."

Division II attention
"Western Missouri has offered me and then Wayne State and Augustana. That is it."

The offer
"They are a great school. I went down to their for a camp this summer and they showed me around. Their practice dome is fully funded by the Kansas City Chiefs so their facilities are top notch."

Visits
"I was going to go to UNI soon, I visited Iowa State for the Iowa game, and that is all I've done this year. Western Missouri wants me down for a game."

Recruiting the hardest
"Probably UNI, Iowa State, and obviously Western Missouri."

Colfax-Mingo linebacker Jacob Lietz

Recruiting
"Augustana, I went to Iowa State, I have a visit for Wartburg scheduled, Central Missouri, Buena Vista, and Central."

Augustana visit
"It was pretty good and I really liked it. I really liked their facilities and coaching staff. I think it is a nice school."

More visits
"Wartburg is this next weekend and maybe Central Missouri. I also want to get to Buena Vista and Central at some point too."

Recruiting the hardest
"Right now it is between Augustana, Wartburg, and maybe BVU also."

A favorite
"Not really. I like Iowa State but I'd have to be a walk-on. I don't have a favorite at this point."

Xavier running back Maliki Wilson

Recruiting
"I have gotten mail from Iowa State and they have invited me to their games. I know Coach Sturdy very well. During the summer I went to twelve to fourteen camps across the country. Some of the schools close that are recruiting me are Iowa State, Drake, and Northern Illinois. Those are some of the close ones which is a blessing."

A favorite college growing up
"When I was little, I was all about the Hawkeyes. I still love the Hawkeyes but now Iowa State is showing big interest. It is weird looking at both but I will always be a Hawkeye and a Cyclone."

Mid-Prairie quarterback Ryan Cortum

Playing football in college
"I don't really know if I want to play or not."

The determining factors
"Right now I just don't really know. I get emails and stuff from schools but I don't know what I want to do."

Leaning either way
"I'd say it is 50/50 right now if I want to play or not."

Emails from schools
"Simpson and smaller schools like that."

Others
"Iowa Central, Jamestown, and St. Olaf."

Dowling defensive lineman Brawntae Wells

Recruiting
"NDSU, UNI, and Northwest Missouri State."

Others
"Morningside a little bit. As of now I put out my highlight tape sent it to Iowa and Iowa State. I was waiting for feedback."

Visits
"I went to Northwest Missouri State and I was really comfortable there. I liked the coaches and the passion that they have for the game. It is a nice town with good people and nice facilities."

Scholarship talk at Northwest Missouri State
"They think I'm a great player. They told me that they are going to wait with that stuff until later. They want to see how I am doing."

South Central Calhoun athlete Derrick Henkenius

Recruiting
"My coach has been telling me he has talked to Simpson, Grand View, and Briar Cliff."

Visits
"I took a trip to Briar Cliff last spring. I want to see what schools will offer me. if they do, I will make sure I go there for visits."

Recruiting the hardest
"Right now, I am leaning towards Briar Cliff because that is where most of my family has gone. Like I said, it all depends on what other schools are interested in me."

Monticello guard Derek Manternach

College basketball
"That is my #1 sport that I want to play in college if I got some sort of offer. I have had interest from a few smaller schools like Central. I would love to play basketball if I get the right offer."

Others
"Loras has sent me letters, Wartburg I'm pretty sure, and there was another one. Maybe it was Coe."

Visits
"I haven't done any visits for basketball yet but I have had regular college visits and I went to the University of Iowa for track and field."

Determining factors in playing
"It has a lot to do with education. I'd like to do Agriculture so finding a basketball school with that would be very tough to turn down."

Wahlert guard David Wedewer

Recruiting
"Briar Cliff has offered me and then I got Morningside interested. I still text with Upper Iowa and I've talked to Wayne State a few times. Division III wise, it has been Loras, Elmhurst, and the University of Chicago."

Visits
"I have visited Briar Cliff and Loras."

A favorite
"No, I am just trying to stay open to everything."

Recruiting the hardest
"Definitely Briar Cliff and Loras."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News