ADVERTISEMENT

The End Zone - August 17th Edition

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Please remember and abide by the rules of The End Zone. The End Zone is for Iowa prep fans only. Whatever is said in The End Zone, must stay in The End Zone.

This week's recruiting updates: Jon Stavas, Cody Dvorak, Keaton Van Soelen, Cooper Puls, CJ Roths, Michael Frankl, Colby Lafrenz, Coy Roussell, Dalton Smith, Kyle Juhl, Jacob Hardy, and Kaely Hummel.

..........................................................................................................................................
BGM lineman Cooper Puls

Recruiting
"Central College has been a big one. I was invited to their football recruit day so I got to go down there and talk to the coaches and players. It was really fun."

Others
"I've talking to someone from Upper Iowa and I got a couple of emails from Simpson about going to game day visits."

Recruiting the hardest
"Definitely Central."

A favorite
"Right now, it would probably be Central. Their coaches seemed like a great group of guys. They have good values like my high school coach has. They really seem like a good program."

..........................................................................................................................................
Central Lyon, GLR athlete CJ Roths

Recruiting
"It is the usual ones like USD, NDSU, and a lot of the local ones like Simpson."

Visits
"I didn’t take any this summer. I only went on a game day visit at Iowa State."

Recruiting the hardest
"I have no idea."

Ames quarterback Michael Frankl

Recruiting
"The same schools that I told you last time I went to their camps. They said that they want to evaluate my first couple of games before they offer. I am sitting with one offer from Wayne State in Nebraska. They offered me during the camp season. I have been to a few Iowa State practices and talked to their coaches. They are just waiting to see how my season goes before they make a final decision."

Others
"It is still Iowa State, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota State, Western Illinois, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, Illinois State, and a lot of east coast schools like Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, and schools like that."

Recruiting the hardest
"I would say Iowa State is recruiting me pretty hard along with South Dakota State and Illinois State."

A favorite
"I'm keeping my options open at this point. I am not that picky on where I want to go. I love playing football and want to find the right fit for me."

North Scott lineman Colby Lafrenz

Recruiting
"Right now I got my first offer from Valparaiso in Indiana and that is a Division I-AA school. I also have interest from the University of Minnesota Duluth, Minnesota Mankato, Central College, and Grand Valley State in Michigan."

Recruiting the hardest
"I would definitely say Central because we had a team camp there and they think it would be a good fit for me. I know that the smaller division schools are able to contact more."

A favorite
"I don’t really have a favorite. Right now it is about having the best season I can have. Both of my parents went to Iowa State and I also like the Hawkeyes but I don’t have a favorite."

Glenwood linebacker Jon Stavas

Recruiting
"Not really. There are not any specific colleges."

A favorite college growing up
"Nebraska. It has been my favorite college."

Des Moines Christian forward Keaton Van Soelen

Recruiting
"In terms of schools, I have four offers. They are from Sam Houston State, Hillsdale College, Rockhurst, and one from Missouri Southern. Air Force will come to work me out and will decide if they will offer me."

Others
"Those are the main ones. I told some schools I'll be looking at these ones instead."

A favorite
"Not right now. I am just planning on making visits to them and ultimately making my decision from the visit. I want to see how I can fit in there."

Visits
"Hillsdale College is around September 10th and then Rockhurst would be the following weekend. I am not sure if those will be official visits or not."

A level preference
"Obviously you want to play at the highest level possible which is Division I but Division II is also very good. Right now either one would be fine."

When Air Force is coming
"It will be some time in September. They haven't set an official date."

Recruiting
"Air Force has made the most calls to me. Then Hillsdale and Rockhurst are both up there as well."

Signing in the fall
"I'm probably going to do the early signing date."

Biggest factors
"It will probably be the visits. I want to talk to the coaches and that will be a factor. I will also have to choose if I want to play at the highest level possible."

West Delaware running back Coy Roussell

Recruiting
"I have gotten invited to a couple of college games like Drake, Northwest Missouri State, and a couple of others."

In-state recruiting
"It has been Drake, Upper Iowa, then UNI, and I went to an Iowa State game last year."

Division III interest
"Not as much from them. I get emails but I haven't talked to them as much."

Recruiting the hardest
"I'd say Drake has talked to me quite a bit. They try to talk to me all the time."

A favorite
"No, not really. I haven't really been around the schools to see what I really like."

Gilbert running back Cody Dvorak

Camps
"I went to a couple of football camps at Iowa State and Grand View. Those both went pretty well. Grand View was a padded camp that lasted eight hours and there were no pads at Iowa State. We did a lot of testing and II feel I improved a lot in those."

Recruiting
"I haven't had too many. It has been pretty quiet so far."

Camp invites
"Not really but at the Iowa State camp I talked to a couple of coaches."

The schools
"Two of them were Iowa State and then I made contact with Northern Illinois and Iowa Western."

A favorite growing up
"I have always been a huge fan of the University of Oregon. I am also fans of Iowa State and Iowa."

Don Bosco lineman Dalton Smith

Recruiting
"The most interest has been from Minnesota State Mankato, Southwest Minnesota State, Simpson, and Wartburg. I am also getting attention from North Dakota State and I've been talking to their defensive coordinator from there."

Visits
"I'll be going to Minnesota State for sure and Wartburg for sure. I just got contacted by a school from Missouri. I talked to them about a game day visit there as well with them."

A favorite
"It would probably be Minnesota State. Another favorite would be North Dakota State but I am not sure how that would go with a scholarship."

Harlan forward Kyle Juhl

College decision
"I committed to Kearney. It was a great campus and they have great coaches there. Also Trey Lansman is already out there so I wouldn’t be along. That just helped out quite a bit."

Others that were considered
"Northwest Missouri State and Wayne State were the other big ones. Dordt, Briar Cliff, and Buena Vista were in there too."

ADM defensive end Jacob Hardy

Recruiting
"I am getting interest from quite a few schools. Drake is probably the biggest I've gotten. Northwest Missouri State, Minnesota State, Southwest Minnesota State, and a dew Division III schools like Buena Vista, Simpson, and Wartburg a little bit."

Recruiting the hardest
"Probably Drake and Northwest Missouri State."

Visits
"I will be going to Drake on the 6th I believe and then Northwest Missouri State on the 26th or something like that."

A favorite
"It is tough to say but honestly I'd probably go either Drake or Northwest Missouri State."

Cherokee guard Kaely Hummel

Why did you pick Sioux Falls
I really liked the coaches and the basketball program. The NSIC is a very competitive conference and USF is up and coming program in that conference. I felt a connection to the coaches right away and feel like it will be a good fit for me academically and athletically. I love the community of Sioux Falls. It has a lot to offer with internships and support.

What other schools were you considering?
I had many schools that I was considering and that were interested in me, but the other schools I was serious about were Southwest Minnesota State, Wayne State, Wartburg, and Northwestern (Orange City).

What was it about Sioux Falls over those other programs?
Sioux Falls definitely set themselves apart from the others because of the whole package that they have. I love the competitive conference they are in and that they are an up and coming program in that conference. The coaches are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, personable, and visionary. They also have a customized weight / nutrition program designed for basketball players. Everything about the program impressed me. To have everything I was looking for in a college and basketball program plus the scholarship offer was a dream come true.

How much did the Sioux Falls coaches help with your decision?
The coaches were a huge part of my decision. Coach Trap, Coach Trevor, and Coach Bergan are all great people. They have a vision for the program and where they want it to go. We want to win championships. They also care about the athletes as people and want us to have a great experience in college as well as basketball. Throughout the recruiting process, I quickly developed a relationship with these coaches. I wanted to play for a coach who will challenge me and make me better but also be personable and approachable. The coaches are definitely that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News