ADVERTISEMENT

The devastation from Helene is

When everything is said and done, the death toll will be near Katrina's. The crews we are running for power line restoration say it's the worst they've ever seen.

Reactions: Orange_N_White
The airspace around Lake Lure has evidently been shut down. My understanding is that many of the missing people in NC are in the lake submerged under the debris. The death toll overall is said to be around 170. I can tell you it's much higher.
That’s part of why I’m surprised they wouldn’t welcome someone assisting with evac on their own dime. It’s not like the dude was going rogue, he was coordinating and communicating with the folks on the ground. I would think they would welcome getting people the hell out of there if they were stuck and without resources. It would allow them to focus on the recovery.

That’s part of why I’m surprised they wouldn’t welcome someone assisting with evac on their own dime. It’s not like the dude was going rogue, he was coordinating and communicating with the folks on the ground. I would think they would welcome getting people the hell out of there if they were stuck and without resources. It would allow them to focus on the recovery.

In my anecdotal experience, many of these local, small community fire departments are run by absolute novices with damn near zero training. Things often devolve into dick measuring contests with them, especially when the slightest stressor is applied. The stress here is monumental...so sadly I'm not surprised.

We have some dedicated volunteer fire firefighters in my JD and those people are awesome. We also have some that are wannabes and many of these types are also VERY familiar to me in my role as a law enforcement officer if you catch my drift.

In my anecdotal experience, many of these local, small community fire departments are run by absolute novices with damn near zero training. Things often devolve into dick measuring contests with them, especially when the slightest stressor is applied. The stress here is monumental...so sadly I'm not surprised.

We have some dedicated volunteer fire firefighters in my JD and those people are awesome. We also have some that are wannabes and many of these types are also VERY familiar to me in my role as a law enforcement officer if you catch my drift.
Sad but true. Every day I see more and more pictures and video from that area. It just gets worse every day. I can't imagine anyone refusing someone offering resources - especially expensive ones.

We may be doomed as a society, if not as a species altogether.

Reactions: Reasoned
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT