ADVERTISEMENT

The Best Soccer Player of All Time From Iowa

4_1A_2_Nv

Varsity
May 6, 2004
Who is the best soccer player to ever play in Iowa. I am talking about people who played high school and/or club ball for elite programs etc. People who have made it to the professional level...D1 collegiate level.. etc.

Open for discussion.

Not sure if best but Drew Russell is playing professional with the Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada (signed a three year contract). Drew played for CRSA and is in Japan right now playing some games, http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/news_archives/youthnews12070801.aspx

Drew would have been a senior this year with the Mount Vernon/Lisbon team.

Matt Nickel should be mentioned in this discussion. He led Waukee HS to a couple of state championships when they were still in Class 1A. He played his club soccer for Urbandale Soccer Club and won multiple state championships there as well. He played collegiately at Drake where he was an all-conference performer and he finished his career playing for the Columbus Crew.

How many Iowans have that sort of resume? How many Iowans have played in the MLS?

I will use my biasness.

Luke Frieberg played for Norwalk High School as well as Drake and for the Menace. Quite possibly the fastest person I've ever seen with the ball at his feet. He can play anywhere on the field.

Wasn't too bad at high school hoops either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT