ADVERTISEMENT

The best high school football player you have seen play in person is....

The most dominant has to be Nate Meier at Fremont-Mills. But the best? I guess I'll go with Terrence Freeney (Cedar Falls). That guy was a monster.

I was impressed when I saw Tyler Peschong play quarterback at Marshalltown. Kid was 6'5", about 215 lbs. And although he was a product of the Bobcats pass happy system, it seemed like he could make every pass he needed to. And for his size, he was fairly mobile. Surprised he didn't get any more recruiting action than he did.

Also remember Derek Schemelhorn, a fullback/tailback for Newton back in the day. Kid was a freakin' load to bring down and pretty swift for his size. Concentrated on baseball and went to Wichita State, but that few times I saw him play, good lord he was a tough guy to tackle.

That being said, I don't see as many games as a lot of people on this site.

That would be the former Fearsome Eagle Beast OT/DT Dan Kruger, a mobile mammoth who went on to be All-Planet at UNI.

The most electrifying player I've seen is a Dubuque guy who went on to play at Iowa State. I'm going to say Josh Lenz, but I might be off a bit on the name.
The most impactful defensive player I've seen play is from Xavier. I think David Ryberg is the name.
The most impactful offensive player was a guy from Kennedy. He played TE and then QB in high school, not very flashy. He went on to play guard at Iowa State. Not impactful in that he never ran for oodles of yards or that he passed a pretty ball. But he won a lot of games with both roles. I can't remember his name, but he was a big guy.
Funnest player to watch is a QB from Waterloo, maybe VanArsdale. He had very good balance and awareness.
Best technique player I've watched is a QB/Corner from IW West who went on to play at Iowa State. Charlie Rogers, I think.
Best running back was either Hill or Freeney from Cedar Falls. I liked a fullback from Xavier named Justin Peck.
A real possession receiver I liked was a guy from Prairie a couple of years past. Best big play receiver was either a recent guy from IC West or a Cedar Falls guy Jonathan Z? maybe, a few years back.
Linebacker play would be a guy from Dubuque Wahlert in 2009...number 5 I think. Played in the Shrine Bowl.
Safety play would be a guy named Zach Schulte from Xavier.
Best kicker was probably from Dubuque Senior, played for the Hawkeyes, Mike Myers.
Cedar Falls has had some really good Tight ends.
Washington has had some very good flankers.

Lots of honorable mentions...a QB from LinnMar also played LB and was a heckuva leader. Now at Coe, Atwater.
I also like lineman who play both ways and show up as All-State on at least one side of the ball.
I also like the gunners who go down on kickoff coverage.

I never saw Craig or Dwight or many others play in person, so my views are limited.

I cheer them all on, no matter the color of their jerseys in the fall. Great to see young folks who've worked so very hard.

Originally posted by loco60:
The most electrifying player I've seen is a Dubuque guy who went on to play at Iowa State. I'm going to say Josh Lenz, but I might be off a bit on the name.
The most impactful offensive player was a guy from Kennedy. He played TE and then QB in high school, not very flashy. He went on to play guard at Iowa State. Not impactful in that he never ran for oodles of yards or that he passed a pretty ball. But he won a lot of games with both roles. I can't remember his name, but he was a big guy.
Best technique player I've watched is a QB/Corner from IW West who went on to play at Iowa State. Charlie Rogers, I think.
You are correct, Josh Lenz is his name. Played a little as a kick returner in the NFL for the Bears last season, currently in the Colts camp trying to make the team.

Ben Lamaak is the name of the Kennedy player. I also remember how unusual it was to have a huge TE-sized kid step in and play quarterback for Kennedy when their starter got hurt. Just proved what a great athlete he was - and he did go on to be a solid offensive lineman at Iowa State.

Charlie Rogers was another great athlete and really stood out with those fantastic Iowa City West teams around 2011-2012. He did play cornerback very briefly for ISU last year, but I believe has now transferred to Iowa Western.

As far as a dominant player I've seen over the past 8 years or so, AJ Derby has to be right up there. Saw him first as a running back in 7th grade, plowing through and over the tackling attempts of my son's team. Right there you could tell he was going to be a standout.

My son ended up playing against him six more times over the next five seasons, and AJ was pretty much dominant in all but one. That one, though - it was very satisfying as an opposing fan to see a totally ineffective Derby get pulled from the QB spot and sent to the defensive backfield as City High took an unexpected early exit from the playoffs that year.

I see AJ is expected to contribute at TE for Arkansas this season. It's been an interesting sojourn through college football for him.

This post was edited on 8/6 9:40 AM by KidSilverhair

2014 Hall of Fame inductee Sean Shafar from Bedford. One of the most feared running backs in Class 1A in the late 90s. And he never had an extremely big O-Line blocking for him. Still ranked as one of the Elite Running Backs in any class.

I went to watch a game with a friend of mine one time while I was on leave and visiting Chicago. His younger brother played for Joliet Catholic and they were playing Mount Carmel in a playoff game in Joliet. JCA had this 6'1ish, 190lb tailback coming off knee surgery the year before who was just rolling over Mount Carmel. I seem to remember his name being Mike Alstott.

Touchdown Tavian Banks
Timmy D

------------------------------------
everybody else

Originally posted by KidSilverhair:
As far as a dominant player I've seen over the past 8 years or so, AJ Derby has to be right up there. Saw him first as a running back in 7th grade, plowing through and over the tackling attempts of my son's team. Right there you could tell he was going to be a standout.

My son ended up playing against him six more times over the next five seasons, and AJ was pretty much dominant in all but one. That one, though - it was very satisfying as an opposing fan to see a totally ineffective Derby get pulled from the QB spot and sent to the defensive backfield as City High took an unexpected early exit from the playoffs that year.

I see AJ is expected to contribute at TE for Arkansas this season. It's been an interesting sojourn through college football for him.

This post was edited on 8/6 9:40 AM by KidSilverhair
I don't think I've ever seen a player factor into as many phases of the game as Derby did as a junior. Dominated at DE, QB, and I think he punted. I always thought his future would be at DE/LB.

Without a doubt Tim Dwight. Saw him play against Cedar Falls in 1993 in the dome. I seem to recall he had had least one long kick return for a TD. Every time he touched the ball, it seemed like he was going to take it to the house.

Originally posted by straw1397:

Jason scales from valley in the early 2000s deserves a mention.
I always never figured how he didn't get more PT at Iowa State. He was ridiculous in HS.

Aaron Kampman was the best I've seen personally
Jared DeVries has to be up there too but I was a middle school kid when he played so he was a god to us.

I remember watching a kid from Sigourney play O and D Line in the playoffs awhile back and was absolutely dominate. I think he was pretty heavily recruited too. Any one remember his name?

Darin Naatjes was stud at West Lyon in my day, played bball at Stanford if I remember correctly.

This is fun, I could go on and on.

If you did not see Tim Dwight in person in the finals his senior year, that is the only reason you did not name him as best. He outran angles like no one I have ever seen in person. Incredible.

This post was edited on 8/12 7:29 PM by NoJustice

+1 on Jason Scales of Valley. Impossible to stop in high school.

I think his situation at ISU was something like this. Few student athletes cared more about academics than Scales. When he started experiencing some problems with injuries he double downed on academics. Wise move. If Jason didn't perform to the level people thought he would at ISU it is largely due to the fact football was really second chair to his personal high academic standard.

Scales was ridiculous in HS. He showed some flashes of being a good player at Iowa St, but I am pretty sure a few injuries didn't allow him to play at his highest level.

Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:
Originally posted by straw1397:

Jason scales from valley in the early 2000s deserves a mention.
I always never figured how he didn't get more PT at Iowa State. He was ridiculous in HS.

Gotta go old school here...

Jerry Moses- Waterloo East
Derrius Loveless- Waterloo East
Reggie Roby- Waterloo East
Kelly Ellis- Waterloo West
Mike Flagg- Cedar Falls
Tim Moses- Waterloo East
Trev Alberts- NU High School

Originally posted by Engine5Driver:
Gotta go old school here...

Jerry Moses- Waterloo East
Derrius Loveless- Waterloo East
Reggie Roby- Waterloo East
Kelly Ellis- Waterloo West
Mike Flagg- Cedar Falls
Tim Moses- Waterloo East
Trev Alberts- NU High School
Whatever happened to Trev Alberts on ESPN? I miss him always picking against his home state schools.

The best 2 players I ever saw were in the same game. Tavian Banks & Tim Dwight. Bettendorf vs City High.

Trev is too busy with important work like cutting wrestling programs

heard- roger craig
saw- mick mulherin, tim dwight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT