ADVERTISEMENT

SubState this year

Feb 17, 2009
I heard that substates are going to be a little different this year. Instead of creating the substates pre-season like they usually do, they're going to wait until mid-May to decide who plays who. They'll rank them accordingly so the brackets are a little more even.

First off, what does everyone think of this change? Is it good or bad? And will this really affect the look of the substates and State tournament much?
This post was edited on 3/8 6:31 PM by dannyocean

You are close, the substates will still be regionally grouped, similar to what they have been in the past. Substates will be seeded though this year based on rankings part of the way through the season. They can't wait to group the teams because they need to secure the sites for matches. Another thing they will try this year is to only play playoff games on fields that meet the minimum recommendation for field size. Will only use a football field if nothing else is available.

I think both changes are good. Seeding will help balance talent amongst substates - Valley will no longer get an annual "free pass" to the state tournament and we should not see 3-4 ranked teams in any substate like we have in the past. Only problem I see with the seeding is that it is done based off of rankings. Doesn't seem like a perfect system and you could argue that this will affect the way that some coaches vote. With that said, it is an upgrade over the random draw based on geography.

Playing on larger fields and only using football fields when there are no other options is also a nice change. Truthfully, playing on football fields should be a thing of the past even during regular season. I understand that not every program has access to a full size soccer field but playing on football fields is ultimately holding back the game.

Anyone else ready for the season to start already?
This post was edited on 3/9 9:05 AM by Goal Scorer

You are 100% correct when you say playing on football fields is holding the game back. At the same time, we must realize that some schools can't afford it, and we should be thankful for the number of schools that actually yield teams.

Good luck to all!

Just to make sure I was clear, you'll still get ranked teams grouped together, they are still going to group substates geographically, they have to for cost reasons and so that they can find hosts. Once the substate groups are set, then they will be seeded within those groups.

Goal Scorer.
"free pass" to state would imply that you go to state. while i was playing at state last year im almost positive that valley was not apart of the tournament.....

....unless im mistaken....

Evidently they wouldn't accept the free pass last year. Instead, they overlooked an inferior Hoover team and choked. I know, breaks my heart as well!

In my opinion, Valley was the more talented side. If Valley and Hoover faced each other 10 times in 2008, I believe Valley would have won at least 7 out of 10 games. So yes, by Hoover winning that match I believe the inferior team won. That isn't to discredit what Hoover did last year as they had a great season.

Urbandale also made the state tournament last year and came out of a substate that included Ankeny, Waukee, Roosevelt, and Johnston. They beat an Ankeny team that was ranked in the top 5 and were the defending state champs. You could use the same argument for this scenario as well. That is why you play the games and hopefully don't put much stock in what a team looks like on paper.

Husref is an absolute beast. I think many over look DM Hoover. They may be "inferior," but they work hard and they play hard. And they don't b*tch and moan when they lose.

I agree that Hoover will be dangerous this year. I do not agree with your last sentence. They do plenty of trash talking - players, coaches, and fans. The bottom line is if you can stop Husref, you stop Hoover.

Plus, hardly any of the players for Hoover speak the same language. That is not racist or a derogatory remark by the way...

I've played against Hoover and they talked all sorts of trash. I guess we have to agree to disagree. Stupid debate anyhow.

it is a bit yes.but let me just say a few games played against versus 4 years of playing with i feel would be a little better insight to the types of players they are

Goal Scorer:

Not sure what your point is though. Who doesn't talk trash in some way shape or form in soccer?

Find me a legitimate team that doesn't talk trash and I will surely cast my vote for the "Sportsmanship Award" at the state tournament.

my opinion is legitimate considering i played with them every game.u played against them what a max of 4 times in a high school career?you may have the biased opinion only having seen them a few times

Baseballa - Judging from your last post, you do not know what bias means. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a stupid debate. Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Irony - a person that misuses the term bias and then calls someone else an idiot. You sure were right, Hoover soccer players never talk trash.

Stay classy San Diego!

not really no.only seeing them once a year gives him a warped point of view.think about it.he sees them once and says they talk trash the whole time.i saw them every day and hardly heard it...u do the math its pretty simple

First of all, it is not smart to assume things. You do not know how often I see Hoover play each year nor do you know how many times I've played against them in my career. I will tell you that I've seen them play or played against them myself more than 10 times. I think that is plenty of games to draw a reasonable and accurate assessment. It appears that you are taking things too personally.

Fact of the matter is you are a former player and that does create bias. Why do you struggle so much to accept this? I have no reason to dislike Hoover more than any other team and truthfully, I don't dislike them at all. I simply voiced an opinion from my own personal experiences. Get over it. Move on. Why must you continue to argue about this? You are losing credibility my friend.

Can we please get back to talking soccer? Preferably, the season that just got under way this past week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT