ADVERTISEMENT

Stephanie Jenks not running

Wow!! She is no question the top girls distance runner in the state, but if swimming is what she wants to do, then power to her.

Will she be the top distance swimmer in the state?

It's pretty crazy because she could easily get a D-I scholarship in Cross Country/Track. Tri's are fun, but the payoffs are just not really there.

I would say that the "payoff" is not there in any endurance sport - triathalons, track, running, swimming, etc. Not that some individuals cannot make some money off of it - but in general, it is not football, baseball, basketball, etc. The best endurance athletes would be hard pressed to ever make the money of the worst football player or basketball player. So, overall, I think any notion of a monetary reward in relation to the decision is simply not there.

As for college scholarships - if that is a priority for her - I think she could easily do triathlons through HS, swim and still get a D-I scholarship for running almost anywhere she wanted. . . .. .If that is what she wants.

It is high school. Sports are games. If she likes one game better than another game - do what makes you happy. Sounds like she is doing what she enjoys and has aspirations for - hard to argue against that.

All of that being said - as a coach - it would sure be a little depressing to know that someone with that ability had chosen another sport - even if she is really good at the other. So, from a coaching perspective - it would be a bit of a downer for sure.

I agree. I think it's good that she's doing something that she enjoys doing, but I guess I'm not exactly sure why she couldn't continue to both at the same time. Sure will miss seeing her compete on the big stages. But, best of luck to her in her triathlons.

Big part of this is that she qualified for the World Triathlon Championships that take place in London in September. All along, she has said that triathlon was her #1 sport. Also, she did school swimming a year ago but the state qualifying swim meet is the same day as the state XC meet, so she was unable to move on and swim at state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT