ADVERTISEMENT

State's Best Under Classes players

Currently, there are only 13 in the 18 class that are 9.0...there are already some 8.5s that have committed and several others with D1 offers so you just made my point for me
There are actually no Iowa 2018 kids committed to D1 schools that are ranked lower than 9.0 by Perfect Game. There are a couple that haven't done a showcase and are therefore not ranked in their point system. So, don't make up facts to make your point.

Listen, I'm not trying to be a PG or PBR apologist, but they generally do a very good job at identifying talent. But they can only rank kids they've seen.

There are actually no Iowa 2018 kids committed to D1 schools that are ranked lower than 9.0 by Perfect Game. There are a couple that haven't done a showcase and are therefore not ranked in their point system. So, don't make up facts to make your point.

Listen, I'm not trying to be a PG or PBR apologist, but they generally do a very good job at identifying talent. But they can only rank kids they've seen.

Bunten Beazley and Suentjens are all committed and are not 9.0. I am also aware of numerous 8.5s that have D1 offers , that haven't committed yet.

None of those three have done a PG showcase. Is PG supposed to give them a number grade if they haven't seen them?

It's dumb to use these three to support your argument that PG's grading is stupid or biased or ignorant or incorrect or whatever if these commits haven't even been graded by PG.

Again, you are only taking part of the comments to try and make your point. This all started when I questioned the PG rankings. Never questioned PBR. Secondly, I merely pointed out I believe they are off with a number of kids (both ways) and that they have bias. I pointed out several of their higher rated kids are struggling in hs either in stats or not even playing varsity. Lastly, i know a number of kids rated 8.5 that have D1 offers

So why is PG off/wrong/biased and not PBR?

Is there only one reason that highly ranked kids have bad statistics in high school or don't play for their high school teams? Your past statement used this as evidence that the rankings aren't reliable.

I have no idea, but I'd guess that some ranked 8.5 that have offers probably received that ranking when they were younger. Projecting at a younger age is more difficult than when the kid is more physically mature. And sometimes they're probably just wrong. But they simply have too much at stake to be biased, and I don't believe they're usually off by much. That has been my point all along.

You are using the exceptions to prove a broad rule. The fact that these instances are exception - and that there are other reasons to explain their situations - proves my point, not yours.

Last edited:
Like I said, we are both set in our observations and that is ok. That is allowed. The 8.5s in question were given just this spring as ratings go up instead of down as they progress. We will know who is right in 7 yrs. the bottom line is this is a very deep class and Iexpect a way bigger D1 haul from Iowa than normal. The real tragedy is, the lack of D1 options our state kids have.

For the record, a PG grade of 8 means "potential draft pick and/or excellent college prospect."

Correct. The top 30 in that class are rated 8.5 by PG. Even just an 8.0 is "definite D1 prospect" so with 8.5 you'd surmise most of these kids would receive offers

Last edited:
If you're arguing that some kids are better high school players than their rankings indicate, I agree with you. But these services aren't really ranking them as high school players.

This ^. I really don't think PG or PBR takes into account how well you play HS Baseball or even considers your HS stats, etc. when doing their rankings. If this was the case then there would be no reason to attend their showcases.
That being said, it will eventually lead back to how well they perform in high school ball. Any college coach (D1, D2, JUCO, etc) will want to see the player "live" game setting before even considering giving them an offer. PG and PBR do have live games occasionally also (but you have to be invited and it costs money to attend).
Of course this is only my personal opinion from my personal experience with my son.

a PG "8" just committed to South Dakota St. wasn't in their rankings either so there is "that"

So you're saying he wasn't 8-worthy when he did the showcase last August? He threw 81 across the infield, 79 fastball, 83 exit velo. His best attribute was his speed - 6.73 in the 60. That's going to get you an "8" as a 16-year-old.

I'm sure he's improved a lot in the last year. That's what happens to 16-year-olds if they keep working and become 17-year-olds. PG said he was a "potential draft pick and/or excellent college prospect."

Tell me how they were wrong again?

Only saying I believe they underrate a lot of kids while overrating others. I happen to believe it happens way more than you believe but that is my opinion and i am allowed that. On another note, you said 8.5s wouldn't get D1 scholarships. I called bs on that yesterday and have validated that with more to follow before all is done. Either 20 or so more Iowa 18s are getting D1 rides before this is done or PGs rankings are off. I suggest a middle answer. Another point i have made is thank goodness the coaches set their own opinion and are looking at hs stats instead of a half dozen across the infield at a showcase. Also, PG ratings were just updated last Friday

He'll do the showcase in August, get better numbers, and end up an 8.5 or 9.0. Look back at previous years. A strong majority of Iowa players who get D1 scholarships are 9.0+.

Is PG supposed to give a kid a 9.0 with an 81 mph arm because he makes the plays in a high school game and bats .400? That's not what PG does. You don't have to like it, but they base their rankings on the raw skills that college baseball coaches crave. They are delivering the service that the college coaches want. If they weren't, they would have folded long ago.

It is a very objective process that tends to bother the fathers of kids who are very good high school players but just dont have the abilities to play at the next level.

What benefit is there for PG to give a kid a high score if he's not worthy? Do you think they want the reputation of being unreliable to scouts and coaches?

It may not be a perfect system, but it is objective and is absolutely not biased.

Only saying I believe they underrate a lot of kids while overrating others. I happen to believe it happens way more than you believe but that is my opinion and i am allowed that. On another note, you said 8.5s wouldn't get D1 scholarships. I called bs on that yesterday and have validated that with more to follow before all is done. Either 20 or
He'll do the showcase in August, get better numbers, and end up an 8.5 or 9.0. Look back at previous years. A strong majority of Iowa players who get D1 scholarships are 9.0+.

Is PG supposed to give a kid a 9.0 with an 81 mph arm because he makes the plays in a high school game and bats .400? That's not what PG does. You don't have to like it, but they base their rankings on the raw skills that college baseball coaches crave. They are delivering the service that the college coaches want. If they weren't, they would have folded long ago.

It is a very objective process that tends to bother the fathers of kids who are very good high school players but just dont have the abilities to play at the next level.

What benefit is there for PG to give a kid a high score if he's not worthy? Do you think they want the reputation of being unreliable to scouts and coaches?

It may not be a perfect system, but it is objective and is absolutely not biased.
They are infamous for raising rankings after they commit so they can save face. I've seen it repeatedly. I've proven my point and am growing weary at this point. I am glad, however, that there are college coaches that still form their own opinions

So, a kid that is a 9.0 has D1 player potential? A junior on your list has a .262 BA so far this season. If he's hitting that as a junior against HS pitching how is he going to do against D1 pitching?

So, a kid that is a 9.0 has D1 player potential? A junior on your list has a .262 BA so far this season. If he's hitting that as a junior against HS pitching how is he going to do against D1 pitching?

A junior who played sick the first two weeks of the season, then missed the next three weeks due to an undisclosed illness, and is now batting .400 since returning. I believe he'll do just fine as long as he's healthy.

A junior who played sick the first two weeks of the season, then missed the next three weeks due to an undisclosed illness, and is now batting .400 since returning. I believe he'll do just fine as long as he's healthy.
Same kid hit .221 last season. Seven games batting .400 doesn't make a season.

Same kid led the PG spring league in hitting this spring going up against a lot of excellent Iowa HS pitchers including Swanda, Patzner, Nettleton, Reifert, Schultz, Goodman, Houston, and others too numerous to list.

I know this kid and his family. I've seen him play HS and PG ball quite a bit. Have you seen him play?

He has gained about 15 pounds and 8 mph since last summer, and he's a freak athlete. He got 114" on the broad jump at an Iowa camp, and at 6'1" he dunks with ease on the basketball court.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but though his BA was low last year, he lead the team in quality at bats at around .650. In other words, he hit the ball hard but at people a lot last year.

Even playing sick this summer he has a 0.98 ERA in 14.1 IP, and he hits 89 on the mound. He's still pretty raw and developing as a pitcher, but this underscores the pitfalls of using HS stats only in making your decision on the kid. He's actually better as a SS/hitter than as a pitcher at this point, though the statistics wouldn't lead you to believe it.

He may never turn into anything, but he has the raw materials that D1 programs desire. I guess we'll see. If you know any of them, ask some Perfect Game players what they think of this kid.

Reactions: Mattski
Same kid led the PG spring league in hitting this spring going up against a lot of excellent Iowa HS pitchers including Swanda, Patzner, Nettleton, Reifert, Schultz, Goodman, Houston, and others too numerous to list.

I know this kid and his family. I've seen him play HS and PG ball quite a bit. Have you seen him play?

He has gained about 15 pounds and 8 mph since last summer, and he's a freak athlete. He got 114" on the broad jump at an Iowa camp, and at 6'1" he dunks with ease on the basketball court.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but though his BA was low last year, he lead the team in quality at bats at around .650. In other words, he hit the ball hard but at people a lot last year.

Even playing sick this summer he has a 0.98 ERA in 14.1 IP, and he hits 89 on the mound. He's still pretty raw and developing as a pitcher, but this underscores the pitfalls of using HS stats only in making your decision on the kid. He's actually better as a SS/hitter than as a pitcher at this point, though the statistics wouldn't lead you to believe it.

He may never turn into anything, but he has the raw materials that D1 programs desire. I guess we'll see. If you know any of them, ask some Perfect Game players what they think of this kid.
I've seen him play. Haven't seen him pitch though. Wasn't overwhelmed with his play in the field, actually thought his third baseman looks like a better player. If he's hitting 89 on the mound right now that should open some doors for him.

The third baseman is a stud. He has hands as fast as any I've seen at the HS level, and he's only a sophomore.

He's special as a pitcher too, but he's being kept off the mound this year due to chronic, lingering arm issues.

6'1 and dunking and 114" aren't necessarily freak territory, very good indeed but not freakish. No clue on the baseball part as I haven't seen him play but 89 will get some looks

Updated 18 rankings are out and this continues to be a head scratcher, but whatever. I had heard so much about the depth of this class...especially with pitching. How odd is it that only 11 (i am counting usher), are D1 commits vs 18 in the 17 class?

Updated 18 rankings are out and this continues to be a head scratcher, but whatever. I had heard so much about the depth of this class...especially with pitching. How odd is it that only 11 (i am counting usher), are D1 commits vs 18 in the 17 class?
Yeah. We'll see how that plays out, but I still hear many coaches and scouts rave about this 2018 class. Steve James of Perfect Game stated that this class has the most depth of arms of any he's seen since he started with Perfect Game in 2004. I have no idea of knowing, but I would guess that there are a similar number of D1 commits at this point in the 2018 class as there was in the 2017 class at this time last year.

Another immeasurable thing is the difference between D1 commitments and actual scholarship players.

It's still pretty way early to judge the 2018 class. We won't know for sure how good they are for another 4 years or so.

More 2018 players are coming off the board.

Tony Barreca (catcher; North Scott) just announced his commitment to Georgetown.

Duncan Davitt (RHP; Indianola) is heading to Iowa. This comes on the heels of Patzner suddenly not being listed as an Iowa commit. I'm not sure what's up, but I'm sorry to hear that. He will certainly get other D1 opportunities and, who knows, may still end up at Iowa.

By my count, that's 11 of the 2018 Iowa players committed to D1 programs so far, twelve if you count Daniel Powers (RHP; Dav Assumption but lives in IL). Levi Usher and Patzner most definitely have the measurables to be added to this group, though it's possible that Usher would go the juco route to maintain draft eligibility. His fractured leg probably influences his near future to some degree.

I still expect several more to get and accept D1 offers in this class, and several will also go to high level juco programs as well.

Just saw that Brendan Sher (IF; Indianola) may also be committed to Iowa. Not confirmed on the normal suspect sites yet.

Last edited:
A few more off the board recently...

Jaden Rolffs (catcher; Pella) committed to a strong juco (D1) Iowa Western program. Colin Kasperbauer (MIF; Heelan) also committed there a couple of weeks ago.

Keaton Duckett (RHP; Johston) committed to juco (D2) Southeastern CC.

Will Christopherson (RHP; Pleasant Valley) just committed to Michigan State last night.

I'm now seeing Andrew Irvine (RHP; Waukee) also is listed as an Iowa commit on the Perfect Game website.

That's 15 D1 commits to date, and more are likely to come before signing day in November.

A few more off the board recently...

Jaden Rolffs (catcher; Pella) committed to a strong juco (D1) Iowa Western program. Colin Kasperbauer (MIF; Heelan) also committed there a couple of weeks ago.

Keaton Duckett (RHP; Johston) committed to juco (D2) Southeastern CC.

Will Christopherson (RHP; Pleasant Valley) just committed to Michigan State last night.

I'm now seeing Andrew Irvine (RHP; Waukee) also is listed as an Iowa commit on the Perfect Game website.

That's 15 D1 commits to date, and more are likely to come before signing day in November.
Thanks for those of us without the internet

If you, like iowa12, have the internet, go ahead and ignore this post. For the rest of you, here are some recent commitments and updates:
  • Casey Day (RHP; CR Prairie) committed to his high school coach (Rima) who also is head coach at Kirkwood CC
  • Brady Gavin (RHP; MStM) committed to a good NCAA DII program at Central Missouri
  • Trent Hoogerwerf (C; IC Regina) committed to Southeastern CC
  • Noah Stober (RHP; Ankeny Centennial) and Noah McCreary (2B; Davenport West) both committed to John Wood CC in Quincy, IL
  • Ryan Doran (1B/RHP; Harlan) committed to juco DI program Southwestern CC in Creston
  • I just saw on twitter that Jackson Bennett (RHP/UT; Dyersville Beckman) picked up an offer from South Dakota State, but he didn't announce his decision. I know a lot of the big juco programs are after him too.
  • 2019 Harrison Cook (RHP; CR Prairie) also committed to Kentucky this week.
A lot more dominoes will fall with the 2018 players in the next couple of weeks.

If you, like iowa12, have the internet, go ahead and ignore this post. For the rest of you, here are some recent commitments and updates:
  • Casey Day (RHP; CR Prairie) committed to his high school coach (Rima) who also is head coach at Kirkwood CC
  • Brady Gavin (RHP; MStM) committed to a good NCAA DII program at Central Missouri
  • Trent Hoogerwerf (C; IC Regina) committed to Southeastern CC
  • Noah Stober (RHP; Ankeny Centennial) and Noah McCreary (2B; Davenport West) both committed to John Wood CC in Quincy, IL
  • Ryan Doran (1B/RHP; Harlan) committed to juco DI program Southwestern CC in Creston
  • I just saw on twitter that Jackson Bennett (RHP/UT; Dyersville Beckman) picked up an offer from South Dakota State, but he didn't announce his decision. I know a lot of the big juco programs are after him too.
  • 2019 Harrison Cook (RHP; CR Prairie) also committed to Kentucky this week.
A lot more dominoes will fall with the 2018 players in the next couple of weeks.
You have quite the mouth don’t you? For someone that has used this platform to not so subtly promote your son, you are quite proud of yourself

You have quite the mouth don’t you? For someone that has used this platform to not so subtly promote your son, you are quite proud of yourself
So you can dish it out but can't take it, huh? I see.

Please consider taking yourself and others on here a little less seriously.

I dished your infomercial and I am not interested in you condescending attitude so no. I guess not.

An interesting development for Ian Bedell, who reclassified and will enroll at Mizzou for the spring semester, which will effectively make him part of the Tigers' 2017 recruiting class. He is now required to play three years of college ball and will therefore not be eligible for the 2018 draft. He will instead be eligible in 2020, I believe.

Ryne Schooley (LHP; IC Regina) just committed to Iowa Western last night.

Last week, DMACC got commitments from two in the DM area, TJ Mahoney (Roosevelt) and Carter Troncin (Urbandale).

An interesting development for Ian Bedell, who reclassified and will enroll at Mizzou for the spring semester, which will effectively make him part of the Tigers' 2017 recruiting class. He is now required to play three years of college ball and will therefore not be eligible for the 2018 draft. He will instead be eligible in 2020, I believe.

Ryne Schooley (LHP; IC Regina) just committed to Iowa Western last night.

Last week, DMACC got commitments from two in the DM area, TJ Mahoney (Roosevelt) and Carter Troncin (Urbandale).
Did Mahoney transfer? Pretty sure he went to DSM East I thought?

Hawk, how many western Iowa players are in Iowa PBR 2018 rankings in the top 50?
Not sure about Mahoney. He's still listed as Lincoln by PBR.

In PBR's rankings, western Iowa baseball players in top 50 include Garret Reisz (CB St. Albert; #22), Colby Seuntjens (MVAO; #24), and Colin Kasperbauer (Heelan; #25). Not sure about Perfect Game's rankings.

Reactions: Drewolson24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT