ADVERTISEMENT

State's Best Under Classes players

An interesting development for Ian Bedell, who reclassified and will enroll at Mizzou for the spring semester, which will effectively make him part of the Tigers' 2017 recruiting class. He is now required to play three years of college ball and will therefore not be eligible for the 2018 draft. He will instead be eligible in 2020, I believe.

Ryne Schooley (LHP; IC Regina) just committed to Iowa Western last night.

Last week, DMACC got commitments from two in the DM area, TJ Mahoney (Roosevelt) and Carter Troncin (Urbandale).

What do you think of Bedell? What kind of impact could he have at Missouri right away? Saw that he was #37 in the country in 2018 class.

He has looked really good this fall. He most definitely would have been drafted, potentially pretty high, if that's the direction he wanted to go. In my opinion, Bedell is more experienced and polished than Swanda was, and Swanda went in the 4th round in the 2017 draft.

I'm sure there will still be a pretty steep learning curve moving from Iowa high school to SEC competition, though Sikkema from Central DeWitt made that transition pretty well last year for Mizzou.

He has looked really good this fall. He most definitely would have been drafted, potentially pretty high, if that's the direction he wanted to go. In my opinion, Bedell is more experienced and polished than Swanda was, and Swanda went in the 4th round in the 2017 draft.

I'm sure there will still be a pretty steep learning curve moving from Iowa high school to SEC competition, though Sikkema from Central DeWitt made that transition pretty well last year for Mizzou.
Ya, saw him pitch on TV at the PG all American Classic and he looked good. I thought he didn't play high school? I'm pretty sure he played for the Midland Redskins a college prep like team that is based in Cincinatti. I've heard that team had "the best pitching staff in the country" with guys going to schools like Vanderbilk, Kentucky, Michigan and OSU. Still will probably be a learning curve for him and time needed to get adjusted.

He pitched more innings for his high school team in limited action than what he did for the Midland Redskins, I was told by someone thar knows him well. I don't think he pitched more than 35 innings or so between the two, and on +/- 10 innings were with the travel team. I could definitely be wrong about this though as I didn't hear it directly from him or his family.

Reactions: Drewolson24
He pitched more innings for his high school team in limited action than what he did for the Midland Redskins, I was told by someone thar knows him well. I don't think he pitched more than 35 innings or so between the two, and on +/- 10 innings were with the travel team. I could definitely be wrong about this though as I didn't hear it directly from him or his family.
Quikstats show 12 hs innings

Seems like you are a knowledgeable group that participates on here. What are the best opportunities in NE Iowa to advance my son's baseball skills? He is a freshman at a small high school, has a lot of athleticism, a strong work ethic and a love for the game. He's currently a four sport athlete (not unusual for a small school) but willing to give up basketball to dedicate to baseball. He really wants to play in college, and as a parent I want to make sure I give him an opportunity to achieve his goals but not sure what is available or the best avenue to take. Appreciate you're suggestions!

Seems like you are a knowledgeable group that participates on here. What are the best opportunities in NE Iowa to advance my son's baseball skills? He is a freshman at a small high school, has a lot of athleticism, a strong work ethic and a love for the game. He's currently a four sport athlete (not unusual for a small school) but willing to give up basketball to dedicate to baseball. He really wants to play in college, and as a parent I want to make sure I give him an opportunity to achieve his goals but not sure what is available or the best avenue to take. Appreciate you're suggestions!

Most kids even from a small HS don't need a club/travel team especially if they are multi-sport athletes, which college coaches like. Instead of that, he could join a legion team in the spring to get more games in before the summer season starts and to feel comfortable in his game before the summer. If he's willing to give up basketball, many colleges have baseball camps and showcases in the winter to get exposure in front of coaches. Another thing to get exposure, is to go to PBR Iowa showcases or Perfect game showcases that are always on the weekends so they're easy to attend. Another thing I've seen is kids taking a skills video and sending it to college coaches/recruiting coordinators and ask them to please take a look and thanks for their time.

I'll repeat the advice we received (that I shared earlier on another post) that we found to be excellent.

Unless your son is an exceptional young player, resist the temptation to go to showcases. If you want to spend money, which is necessary to some degree to advance as a player, spend it on training. Find a place that will help him get bigger, faster, and stronger. If you go to camps, find those that teach fundamentals for the purposes of development.

Once a kid has developed his skills, then you can find good places to showcase the talent for exposure, like at PBR and Perfect Game showcases.

I'm not sure how close you are to Cedar Rapids, but I just got an email earlier this week from Perfect Game that they are doing once-weekly training sessions for 17 weeks beginning in early November. They intend to work on swing and plate approach, including the mental approach at the plate, as well as defensive footwork and position-specific training. Pitchers will shut down arms for a stretch but will do a lot of strength/conditioning as well as dry mechanic drills.

Several PG alumni will be involved including Scott Schebler, Mitch Keller, Jon Keller, and others, and the program will be small group with low player to coach ratio.

I'm not sure if anyone can sign up or if it's just for players on the Iowa Select teams, but it may be worth looking into if it's convenient for you.

If you can find other ways to accomplish this in a facility more convenient for you, that'd be awesome. But, in my opinion, get better first before concerning yourself with showcases.

Reactions: Drewolson24
What Hawk said. In talking to parents, you can go broke doing all the showcases as well as get overexposed. Same with doing all the PG Tournaments as it is very expensive with very few college eyes on kids. At least not what they lead you to believe. I would spend my money on the development side with an annual pbr or pg showcase just so you can measure against peers. Weight training is huge. Reaching out to coaches (your son) is big. Have him sell himself. Professional video is good annually. Target some camps of schools he is interested in and then make sure the coach knows your son ahead of time with email, phone, video. Finally, have a cross section of schools. D1, naia, 2, 3. Don’t put all eggs into one basket. Be educated on where your son sits against his peers at each stage so you aren’t surprised either way his senior year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT