ADVERTISEMENT

State Track Qualifying?

mtdew_fever

All District
Jul 14, 2004
Is this the first year that the boys will be qualifying with the next best times similiar to how the Girls have done it for years? Quite honestly, they finally did it right.

State Meet Qualifiers ? BOYS and GIRLS
: In Class 4A, the top two place winners in each event, plus the

next twelve (12) best performances statewide from qualifying meet place winners will advance to the state

meet. Class 3A and Class 2A, the top two place winners in each event, plus the next eight (8) performances

statewide from qualifying meet place winners will advance to the state meet. In Class 1A, the top place winner

in each event, plus the next twelve (12) best performances statewide from qualifying meet place winners will

advance to the state meet. If there are ties, the highest qualifying meet place winner will be the qualifier. If the

tie still remains, the school name, as printed in the IHSAA Directory, will be used as the tie breaker. The last

school name alphabetically will become the qualifier. There will be no more than 24 qualifiers in any event.

I think its been in place the past 3 years but not entirely sure. Agreed it is better at getting the best runners to state.

Ya but it was nice when each district took the top 3 in each event and there was no waiting to the following day to see if you made it on times.

This is the 2nd year with this. 3 years ago, they tried some hodgepodge combination of the the top 3 going automatically unless a 4th or 5th place time was better than a 3rd place time in the bottom half. It was something confusing like that that didn't really work.

Originally posted by oguard_run:
This is the 2nd year with this. 3 years ago, they tried some hodgepodge combination of the the top 3 going automatically unless a 4th or 5th place time was better than a 3rd place time in the bottom half. It was something confusing like that that didn't really work.
That was 2011. This is the third year that the boys association has adopted the long-standing girls union approach of getting the best athletes to Des Moines.

will they be posting most of the meets on aspi? I only saw one meets results so far, I realize they wont post 2a meets because of the postponement of one meet of course.

Originally posted by cancer stick:
will they be posting most of the meets on aspi? I only saw one meets results so far, I realize they wont post 2a meets because of the postponement of one meet of course.
"They" don't post. The meet host posts and are instructed not to do so until after cutoffs are posted. Johnston goofed

Originally posted by B-K_Teach:
Originally posted by cancer stick:
"They" don't post. The meet host posts and are instructed not to do so until after cutoffs are posted. Johnston goofed
Well you better check the CR Gazette as they have several results from meets listed. Why would putting out results in anything but 2A make any difference? What is done is already done. Listing results now changes nothing. Johnston apparently isn't the only meet that "goofed" as you say.

By posting results early, they have given the teams at the Dike district a "Qualifying" mark in which to exceed in order to be one of the next best 8 times in order to qualify. It is an advantage that none of the other 2A teams that ran in poor conditions had.

For Class 2A, the Dike district was arguably the most difficult to begin with. One could argue that by postponing until today will help them get more at large State Track meet bids, but I think they probably would have anyhow.

The biggest advantage is that they have a nicer day to run than anyone else. I don't pretend to know why they postponed their meet - maybe there were extenuating circumstances that no one is aware of. However, it does basically have the appearance of simply waiting for a nicer day while every other meet, in every class, was run in varying degrees of "less than ideal" conditions. Perhaps not.... but other districts were run nearby. Other districts likely had as much or more rain, more wind for sure, colder..... Not sure what was so unique about Dike's weather last night. But, it is what it is.
I don't know that knowing results is particularly useful . . . . . I mean everyone already basically knows they have to run as fast as they can to get one of the 8 "at large" qualifying times if they are not "top 2." And, it is pretty easy to predict about what those times usually will be. It is just going to be easier to hit the time on a nicer night.

Originally posted by cc coach:
The biggest advantage is that they have a nicer day to run than anyone else. I don't pretend to know why they postponed their meet - maybe there were extenuating circumstances that no one is aware of. However, it does basically have the appearance of simply waiting for a nicer day while every other meet, in every class, was run in varying degrees of "less than ideal" conditions. Perhaps not.... but other districts were run nearby. Other districts likely had as much or more rain, more wind for sure, colder..... Not sure what was so unique about Dike's weather last night. But, it is what it is.
I don't know that knowing results is particularly useful . . . . . I mean everyone already basically knows they have to run as fast as they can to get one of the 8 "at large" qualifying times if they are not "top 2." And, it is pretty easy to predict about what those times usually will be. It is just going to be easier to hit the time on a nicer night.
I won't mention his event or time, but my son will be ticked if he's just nudged by someone in the D-NH district considering the weather difference. Especially since he'd just make it in 3A and would be in solidly in 1A and he set his PR by a sizable amount despite the conditions last night.

He'd have no chance at scoring at State, but getting to run there would be great. We have 3-4 others that are probably close as well.

The second part I agree with. Knowing the needed time/distance won't help most events other than letting them know immediately if they made it. Footing/grip on the field events could be big though.

With minimal effort I was able to find results for all 7 of the 2A meets that were held last nite. Local newspapers for most schools could care less what the State expects! Sports writers don't stand out in the weather to get the info for their teams and wait 2 days to go to press.

Do you have a link to Eddyville results? Those are the only ones I have not been able to track down.

CC Coach:

Looking for Eddyville and Van Meter results. Where did you get Van Meter results?

Originally posted by Emerald Street:
By posting results early, they have given the teams at the Dike district a "Qualifying" mark in which to exceed in order to be one of the next best 8 times in order to qualify. It is an advantage that none of the other 2A teams that ran in poor conditions had.
That is why I stated anything but 2a. All other classes were completed. Why Dike rescheduled and was allowed to is beyond me. If I remember it happened last year as well but there were multiple rescheduled meets in different classes and results were posted in newspapers then too. If the AD or someone is reporting the results, the newspaper is going to report them. If all districts in a class don't compete the same night, the host districts should know better than to report results. If they do, they should not be allowed to host again.

All I know is that if you live near Dike or New Hartford, you must know how easy that area floods in the Spring or when heavy consistent rain persists in the summer. Beaver Creek usually runs right down main street during saturated times. HWY 1 on the way to Kalona from Iowa City is also a well known low spot. I'm sure there are many others around Iowa but lane one of the Dike New Hartford track must be one of them.

Hard enough to find schools willing to host state qualifying meets. There are plenty of schools in all classes with better facilities that never host. Catching good weather on a different day is an unintended result of their situation. I'm sure that it would have been easy to postpone all districts for a day but the Association/Union held out everywhere and would have with Dike too if there hadn't been flooding.

I don't think knowing all of the other results is an issue either. It's a target but it still has to be achieved albeit in different conditions. Friday certainly wasn't much warmer that's for sure. Those athletes do have a disadvantage as well given one less day between districts and state.

No, I'm not the public defender of all decisions IHSAA/IGHSAU but this is how I see it.

On Wings .... What happened with Sander of Belmond up at the Lake Mills site? He had 3rd best time in the state in the 200m and did not qualify, 9th best in the 100m and DNQ. He had just won NIC titles in the 100/200 as well, so I can't believe injury was the problem.

Originally posted by B-K_Teach:
Dike had a full lane of the track under water. They had no choice but to postpone.
So in reality they have an all weather track that is not all weather if it rains? OK......guess that explains that.

BK,

It's hard to say with sprinters/kids in general. One week they could be feeling great and the next, something's not right.

It's been my experience over the years to have the following happen:

Conference overloading of athlete results in tightness/slight injury or strain which also could lead to something happening in practice early the week between conference and districts causing strain from not enough recovery allowed. This would be mostly the coaches fault.

Kid starts another sport, sporting activity etc...and causes a problem physically for himself. Busy time of year with so many coaches, parents or just the kids thinking they need to get going on the next sport while not understanding the need to have plenty of recovery due to the demands the championship season place on the body. Athletes at this time of the season are on the edge of injury most of the time anyway. A good talking relationship with how athletes feel and a good ear to be able to adapt workouts is necessary by the coach. Also a lack of respect for the sport by those listed to be as ready as you can to have a chance and to reduce risks because there is no time to heal. Other things just become more important than track in the minds of many when things get busy.

Finally, Kid does something really stupid to make themselves ineligible ie. good conduct, got in trouble with parents or at school etc.... and just aren't available.

Long-May-You-Run,

You're sounding like David Anderson. "In my day.... we didn't have "all-weather tracks" and I still remember the day we had a meet and I was waiting for the exchange on the 4 x 400 and couldn't see my teammate on the backstretch through all of the snow. We didn't cancel meets back when we didn't have all-weather tracks. Now everyone has all-weather tracks and we cancel meets all the time"..... Ugh...

Did you see the old time photo in the Des Moines Register sports section today and the Sunday after Drake? He was right, not that it makes it right but nonetheless, they didn't cancel due to sloppy weather or sloppy tracks. I guess he's changed a little over the years allowing Dike-NH to postpone. In today's world of communication, he probably warded off about 5000 phone calls and e-mails admonishing what would have been a poor decision to make the meet go on Thursday.

2 Things:

1. Y'all probably know this by now, but Sander got hurt in I believe it was the 100. He, based on the Mason City Globe Gazette live blog, severely pulled/tore something to the extent he had to have help to move around in the infield. I wasn't there but the Globe blogger made it clear that whatever the injury was, it was significant.

2. I was in the general Dike area right at meet time on Thursday (helped my favorite [only] granddaughter move back home from the U of Iowa) and the weather conditions were wretched. I nearly had to pull over and stop due to the driving rain so I fully understand their full day weather delay. And yes, the general New Hartford/Dike area is a reclaimed swamp that floods a lot.

Just sayin'

If knowing the cutoff times a coach could easily move some of the alternates around to help stuff get in. If you have a two-miler that doesn't need to run near his best and is a 4x8 alternate you might be able to sneak both events in by running the kid in both. There are a couple places you could do that. Not saying its the morally correct thing, but knowing the cutoffs at least gives you that option.

Yep, you're right. I guess it's up to the integrity of the coach when put in that position. I guess one would have to resist looking at or searching the other results and the temptation to make those kinds of decisions. That being said, even if they didn't peek, they still ended up with a better day to compete and maybe they didn't need to anyway. What comes around, goes around eventually. Karma if you will.

If the association takes their measures to not release the results prior to the completion of all meets, they've done their job of promoting fair play. If coaches give away results from meets they were at, then they become accessories and are just as guilty. Again, it would take restraint to not look at results printed in the newspaper but is a manageable decision.

In the end, as a coach/parent, who do you want to be and who do you want coaching/teaching your kids. It's human nature to try to survive the best way we know how and separating life and the rules to games can be a fuzzy line for some but pretty clear for others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT