ADVERTISEMENT

State tournament appearances

JonnyRae

Gold Member
Jul 13, 2013
How many players have played in 4 state tournaments in their careers?

This post was edited on 3/5 8:12 PM by JonnyRae

Just read Waverly-Shell Rock has had 2.
Jake Velky 2012-2015
Dan Stensland 2011-2014

Western Christian had a couple of guys do it during their 5 year state run from 2007-2011.

This post was edited on 3/4 9:18 PM by sarcastico

I think there are many players who have played in 4 games.
Now 4 tourneys is another story.

I think Lohaus played in 12 state tourney games in his 4 years at ICW.
Did DiLeo dress as a Freshman for ICW because he would be on his way then.

It's probably not as many as we would think. The smaller the school, the harder it is to get into the tournament (generally speaking) and the large schools historically have had very few freshmen playing. Lately, more freshmen have the ability to move up, but that was not the case in years past. The school that (I think) has made the most appearances in Des Moines is Dub. Wahlert which has been there 26 different years and they have nobody that I can think of offhand who has played in four tournaments. It is hard enough for a team to get there four years in a row, and then if a team is that good it would seem less likely that many, if any, freshmen would play. I'm sure this list will grow, but it is a pretty elite little group.

Gannon's IC Regina team lost in 1977 Substate final to Clinton St. Mary's who had Brent Murphy (I think his first name was Brent) - one of the best high school basketball games I have ever seen in person - packed house that night and a lot of energy.

What about the Palmer teams in the mid to late 80's with Pierson and Skinner-they had the State's longest winning streak at I believe over 100 games, so I would think some of those guys played in 4 tournaments.

I watched Palmer play a sub state game in Spencer, they were only up single digits at half and we were not impressed with all the hype. from what I remember they ended up winning by around 40 or 50 and it was one of the most impressive halfs I have ever watched. Fort Dodge and Wade Lookingbill won 4A that year, rumor was these 2 played in a "scrimmage" and Palmer won. Anyone know if that is true?

Linn Mar made state from 2004-2012... Any freshman who played for them would have 4 years. Marcus Paige I believe was a 4 year player.

I would expect Connor McCaffery and Devontae Lane to be 4 year guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick McCaffery is on Varsity as a freshman. If ICW keeps up the talent he would probably be a 4 year guy as well.

Always be skeptical of their information.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Regina lost in sub state in Gannon's Soph year to Clinton St. Mary's on a half court shot. Interesting tidbits about those teams, as a freshman Gannon didn't move up to the varsity until post season began and didn't start any games but was tournament MVP, their senior year they won their tournament games by 30, 20 and then the championship game by 35. Starting line up that year went 6'7", 6'4", 6'4", 6'3", 6'3" and played full court pressure. One of the more impressive teams to come through the state.

Should have read the rest of the thread, my bad.
This post was edited on 3/6 11:24 AM by cidhawkeye

I know for a fact that Jake Velky from Waverly-Shell Rock has been to the state tournament 4 years in a row, with this year going to be his fourth straight appearance.

None of the Bohannons made it four years because Jordan is the only one that played varsity as a Freshman and he has yet to make it to state. Jason, Zach and Matt got moved up there soph year. Jason did make it three years in a row though.

Marcus Paige did qualify all four years, even though the officiating absolutely put him in the state tournament by gifting Linn Mar that substate game over Kennedy. Never seen anything like that before. You couldn't breathe on the kid that night, he probably shot 15 free throws.

I agree. Paige was obviously one of the greatest players to ever come out of the CR/Marion area, maybe even the state, but the calls he got that night were horrible. The "And 1" he got for the 4 point play in the final 20 seconds was particularly atrocious.

There were still frame photos taken of that shot you are talking about showing Fuller from Kennedy a good three feet away from Paige when they called that foul!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT