ADVERTISEMENT

State of Basketball in State of Iowa

Hawk2015

Freshman
Jan 8, 2015
Watching the tournament this year, I have been very impressed by the level of talent in our state. To me it seems that there is as much talent this year as any year. The list from 4A to 1A is just loaded with great players.

Joe Wieskamp, McCaffrey, AJ Green, Brinkmeyer, Hart, Mims, Foster, Cole Henry, Born, Hilmer, Samake, DeMulenare, Ryan Miller, Blum, Mohr, Joens, Satorius, Badding, Cuvelier, Vaske, Clausen, Sims, Wolfe

And I'm sure I left some great players off this list.

What a Year!

Agreed. Start to finish that was one of the better state tournaments I have been to in recent years. A lot of talent and quality ball was showcased at the Well this week. Having all 4 finals on the same day was also pretty great. The atmosphere in there was awesome for most of the afternoon/night.

Glad they made the change to the 5 day tournament with all of the championship games on Friday. Do wish they would eliminate the consolation games. After the losing in the semi-finals, it is anti-climatic to ask kids to play a somewhat meaningless game. Wish the Girls would follow suit and go to the same format with only 4 classes and not 5 (too watered down).

Watching the tournament this year, I have been very impressed by the level of talent in our state. To me it seems that there is as much talent this year as any year. The list from 4A to 1A is just loaded with great players.

Joe Wieskamp, McCaffrey, AJ Green, Brinkmeyer, Hart, Mims, Foster, Cole Henry, Born, Hilmer, Samake, DeMulenare, Ryan Miller, Blum, Mohr, Joens, Satorius, Badding, Cuvelier, Vaske, Clausen, Sims, Wolfe

And I'm sure I left some great players off this list.

What a Year!

I would agree and Yet these kids are severely under recruited compared to kids from other states with less talent...I’ve seen the kids head to head in AAU so I know what I’m talking about...

Also agree that the consolation games need to be eliminated. Start the finals on Friday at noon so that the 4A finishes before 10pm!

Agreed it was a fun tournament. It's great for fans to watch 4 championship games in one day but not so great for the 1A teams to play their championship at 2 in the afternoon.

Move it to noon? I hope not.

Best state tourney I've watched. Drop the consolation games. I like the Championship games all on the same day, huge crowd this year.

Glad they made the change to the 5 day tournament with all of the championship games on Friday. Do wish they would eliminate the consolation games. After the losing in the semi-finals, it is anti-climatic to ask kids to play a somewhat meaningless game. Wish the Girls would follow suit and go to the same format with only 4 classes and not 5 (too watered down).

Agreed about the consolation game.

I wish the Boys would follow the girls lead with regards to classes. The classes are more balanced and the schools are closer together in size. Considering, with the girls, something like 11% of the teams in the state make the Tourney, it's not watered down.

Football needs a class consolidated, boys basketball could use one being added.

I don't agree about the consolation games. Yes the attendance is really poor but for some teams it's a great prize to officially say you were 3rd place. I'm thinking of Don Bosco in 1A, they were 1st in football, 1st in wrestling, and now 3rd in basketball with a great tournament run.

Reactions: dj1432
The Valley and Waukee game looked like an opportunity to play a lot of people who don't normally get in.
Valley in particular looked like they were giving younger guys a taste of what "playing" at state is like.
Don't know if this is an argument one way or the other - looked like younger guys liked it, not sure about the starters.

The Valley and Waukee game looked like an opportunity to play a lot of people who don't normally get in.
Valley in particular looked like they were giving younger guys a taste of what "playing" at state is like.
Don't know if this is an argument one way or the other - looked like younger guys liked it, not sure about the starters.
Maybe to get the boys from Boone to wake up on the consolation game...both coaches should start the bottom 5 on their roster and play them for the entire first quarter. (however coaches need to explain to the whole team what's up)

If I were a coach (it will never happen, so don't worry) in a consolation game at state--it would all be about fun. I'd start any kid who busted his tail, but wasn't talented enough to earn a start. I'd play chuck it and get back on D. I'd play a 15 man rotation of pressing. I'd do barking dog inbounds plays. I'd let every player put off a shot from halfcourt. I'd keep 2 guys in the offensive side of the court, and play defense with 3. Just crazy stuff to see what it looks like. And if you lose by 40, so what?

Reactions: sarcastico
If I were a coach (it will never happen, so don't worry) in a consolation game at state--it would all be about fun. I'd start any kid who busted his tail, but wasn't talented enough to earn a start. I'd play chuck it and get back on D. I'd play a 15 man rotation of pressing. I'd do barking dog inbounds plays. I'd let every player put off a shot from halfcourt. I'd keep 2 guys in the offensive side of the court, and play defense with 3. Just crazy stuff to see what it looks like. And if you lose by 40, so what?

I agree it is a great opportunity to play some different kids, allow freedom in the game, have fun, etc. There is a line though where you still play the game competitively and respect the game instead of making a mockery of it. Shooting half court shots and cherry picking two seems a little over the top. I assume their was a hint of sarcasm in your strategy. The association probably sees the game as covering some costs. The arena is rented anyway for the day and all the staff is in place so why not pull in some revenue for the day.

There is also the fact that it feels good for teams if they get past that first game knowing they get two more games. It just makes the experience last a little longer and allow the creation of a few more memories.

Maybe get rid of all the crap awards?...do those another day or before the games even start...I think part of the reason the 4A championship was so poorly attended was that it was so late...teams were waiting 30 -40 minutes between games and then halftime was also extended...too much non basketball stuff going on...let’s just play!

I'd have them play Grinnell College style, chuck up threes then give up layups so you can shoot more threes. Might as well break some tournament records while you are down there.

I would agree and Yet these kids are severely under recruited compared to kids from other states with less talent...I’ve seen the kids head to head in AAU so I know what I’m talking about...

Also agree that the consolation games need to be eliminated. Start the finals on Friday at noon so that the 4A finishes before 10pm!
Only a handful will do anything in D1 noteworthy. It is what it is

Only a handful will do anything in D1 noteworthy. It is what it is
Agree but I’m seeing it at the D2 and NAIA level...and there are at least 20 seniors in Iowa this year that can play high level D2 and yet they are being overlooked by inferior players from bordering states...that’s the problem with only 1 D2 in Iowa

With the vast majority of kids playing AAU....nobody is getting overlooked. For better or worse....almost all recruiting takes place on the AAU circuit. As for DIII and NAIA you almost have to recruit yourself...and send film etc. to schools you are interested in.

Best state tourney I've watched. Drop the consolation games. I like the Championship games all on the same day, huge crowd this year.
3A was very good this year much better field and play than last year field. 4A just show cased a really good team in Cedar Falls. Consolation games need to stay, always good to win one and get to play three games at state. Rather than one and done. Need to get Saturday games back. Boone clowns need to devise a plan, then do the exact opposite of that plan and they may get something right for once.

Reactions: ElkGroveHawk
Agree but I’m seeing it at the D2 and NAIA level...and there are at least 20 seniors in Iowa this year that can play high level D2 and yet they are being overlooked by inferior players from bordering states...that’s the problem with only 1 D2 in Iowa
I am only interested in following the D1 level

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT