ADVERTISEMENT

State meet

Apr 18, 2004
Great that the qualifying process changed from the confusing and simply odd system last year. Top 2 will make regionals exciting with twice as many athletes knowing they are in but hope for top runners who finish out of the top two.

At Drake week passes the stretch to state really begins. No more just worrying about times for qualifying. So, what teams look strong. 3A has Waverly (deep and some top individuals), Marian, and Decorah look like serious competitors. Others? 1,2, and 4A?

I think the girls have had it right all along with the state qualifying. Hard for all to agree on that though. I think it will afford the best field overall compared to the last 3 qualifying systems used.

4A Boys could be fun/interesting. Waukee has a nice team that could win 3 or 4 events and place well in several others. I would put them as a 3 week out favorite. Linn-Mar could win 3-5 events at Drake and if they continue to improve on those events by state all they would need is some help from their middle distance to possibly pull a tropy of some kind out of the meet. If WDM Valley could get their sprinters back to health they could score a bushel basket of medals. Dowling has a lot of points racked up in distance/middle distance with some sprint relay hopefuls. IC West could be the darkhorse with some pretty good balance and a very talented kid that hasn't competed yet that is waiting in the wings. Cedar Falls hasn't arrived yet but could show up real fast in the sprints. Not sure their distance guys are ready to step up to the plate and help at the state meet. They do have a shot putter and high jumper that could help.

Anyone from the aforementioned group with a hammer that could win an open event or two and field event points to back up some relay scores is dangerous. Good invitational teams don't necessarily make good state meet teams since the overall quality of each event is very good at state.

With only 48 schools in Class 4-A, you need more balance to have a chance than in the smaller classes. 3-A isn't too different but the number of teams involved in a title chase is usually fewer. I've seen 2-A & 1A schools get it done regularly with 6-8 talented kids.

I would have to give the 3-Week out nod to Marion. They really have alot of good kids that will score high. Thrower, distance, sprint, hurdles etc... I'm not sure if others can match them across the board.

I'll have to look further into 2-A & 1-A.

4-A

Linn-Mar/Waukee, WDM Dowling,City High, WDM-Valley,IC West, CR Washington
10 points could separate the top 7 schools. This could be a crazy meet coming down to the final event.

Originally posted by On Wings of Eagles:
2-A

Dyersvill-Beckman, Ft. Dodge St Edmond, Monticello, Collins-Maxwell-Baxter, Wapello, Mediapolis, West Branch

Are you noticing what West Marshall is doing now that they've began to stack their relays?

Now that you mention it, they are showing top 5 in the 4 x 200 and 4 x 400. Without looking, probably same 4 guys or near it. If they have each guy on those relays score in individual events or a strong medley and an individual event they could rack up some solid points. Do they have anything else to go along with that? Field Events, distance guys, hurdlers? If so, they most probably belong on the short list and I just forgot to mention them along with the others.

The other schools mentioned do have what I mentioned, more so starting with Beckman. Their coaches have done a fantastic job for many years as their consistent high state placings show it. What I really like about their kids is that they aren't afraid of running anything from 100-800 meters on the relays. Some might say they can get by with that at a small school but then why isn't everyone doing it. Check out their times over the years too. They've run in their share of finals at the Drake Relays as well. Not too shabby. They have a system that the kids have bought into and that's why it sustains itself over the long haul.

I share your thoughts on Beckman. Pretty impressive for a.......baseball school.
3dgrin.gif

I would have said that Valley was going to be in the 4a hunt and would be a contender to defend their runner up award from last year. They have had some injuries to their top 4-5 runners and it doesn't look like they are going to be in shape or recovered to make much noise. 4A does look like the points are going to be spread out among 5-7 teams. Could a low 40 point team effort win it?

No, low 40 points won't get it done this time. You have to figure Cedar Falls can get 40 with anything Harrington. If IC West can come through the meet without any problems, they will be hard to beat with low 40 points. Rarely does a track meet run to form though. Bettendorf, City High, Cedar Falls, Linn-Mar, CR Washington, Dowling, Valley are my challengers in that order. Still too much time between now and state to finalize predictions but it's getting close. Still have to get there. If Butler finds a way to get in front of Dowling runners and their throwers/200/400 come through, they will be tough. City has a lot of scoring potential anchored by an unstoppable shuttle. Their high jumper needs to score high. Linn-Mar needs a perfect meet to get a trophy. CR Wash can score more than most would give credit to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT