ADVERTISEMENT

State Meet Team Finish Predictions

Apr 15, 2012
Now that the table is set, who comes out on top?

What are the great matchups that you are looking forward to?

Are these the top teams?

4A Boys Linn Mar, Iowa City West, Waukee, CR Kennedy, City High
4A Girls DM Roosevelt, Waukee, Pleasant Valley, City High, Iowa City West

3A Boys Glenwood, Decorah, Marion, MOC Floyd Valley, Solon, SC Heelan, Waverly-Shellrock
3A Girls Davenport Assumption, Waverly Shellrock, Harlan, Mt. Pleasant, Solon, MOC Floyd Valley Anamosa

2A Boys Monticello, OA-BCIG, CB St. Alberts, Ft Dodge St. Edmonds, CMB Baxter
2A Girls Eagle Grove, DM Christian, Western Christian, Clayton Ridge, Cascade-WDBQ, West Branch

1A Boys Manson NW Webster, Wapsie Valley, Lisbon, Underwood, Riverside Oakland
1A Girls Griswold, North Linn, Manson NW Webster, Belle Plaine, Starmont, Hinton, Pekin, Sibley-O

Not overly concerned on the team title....just proud of the group of Perry kids that qualified in a very tough district. If we finish in the Top 10 that would great, but the experience no matter what will be priceless! With that being said...the 3A medley should be a fun race to watch.

Who won the Belle Plaine district on the boys side? Was it Lisbon? The paper did not give team scores. I thought I heard Belle Plaine won by a couple of points???

I believe Belle Plaine won by two points. I believe it was Springsteen from Lisbon who was anchoring the DMR and about to take the lead and then got tangled up and fell on the backstretch. Lisbon ended up fourth in the race if I recall and did not qualify the event for State. Tough break for Lisbon, lucky break for anchor Josh Long of BP, who I'm sure saw flashbacks of last year's meet where he fell during the 4x800!

I tip my cap to Coach Tegeler of Belle Plaine and his team, I don't think anyone but Belle Plaine expected them to have the success that they're having this year.

Originally posted by On Wings of Eagles:

Now that the table is set, who comes out on top?

What are the great matchups that you are looking forward to?

Are these the top teams?

4A Boys Linn Mar, Iowa City West, Waukee, CR Kennedy, City High
4A Girls DM Roosevelt, Waukee, Pleasant Valley, City High, Iowa City West

3A Boys Glenwood, Decorah, Marion, MOC Floyd Valley, Solon, SC Heelan, Waverly-Shellrock
3A Girls Davenport Assumption, Waverly Shellrock, Harlan, Mt. Pleasant, Solon, MOC Floyd Valley Anamosa

2A Boys Monticello, OA-BCIG, CB St. Alberts, Ft Dodge St. Edmonds, CMB Baxter
2A Girls Eagle Grove, DM Christian, Western Christian, Clayton Ridge, Cascade-WDBQ, West Branch

1A Boys Manson NW Webster, Wapsie Valley, Lisbon, Underwood, Riverside Oakland
1A Girls Griswold, North Linn, Manson NW Webster, Belle Plaine, Starmont, Hinton, Pekin, Sibley-O

3A Boys - 1. Pella 2. Solon 3. Marion 4. Decorah\S.Tama\Glenwood
3A Girls - 1. Assumption 2. Solon 3. WSR 4. MOC

I hate to say it, but FDSE won't make any noise at state this year. Just like basketball, FDSE is down in track, too. They will be lucky to get 10 points, something a lot different from years past.

4A Boys title is Linn-Mar's to lose.
A couple poor performances and a dropped baton could open the door for Iowa City West of Waukee.

I don't think it will come down to mistakes such as a dropped baton. I think it will come down to who has people/talent in the right places, 3 days of resolve, an undeniable will power when things don't always go their way to continue to come back again and again etc..... This could be a battle unseen since 08 when West & PV fought it out to a 3 point difference or in 09 when West and CRW fought to a 4 point difference. The thing is, both teams will score a ton of points in the process so it's going to be a humdinger all the way to the end of which both have a team in the 4 x 400!!!

East Mills boys will have a great chance to finish high in the 1A standings. Nick Pittmon should score over 20 points himself, and if Tupper and a few relays can score points, they could finish pretty high.

meandmyshadow,

I like your predictions but we seem to always have Pella in the mix of things and they never compete well down at state. Maybe this is the year though. I don't think we will see Solon that high, Marion on the other hand I do think can be right up there. Decorah is Decorah, and Glenwood is Glenwood. They will be up there year in and year out. South Tama is also a very sound team. I thought last year they had a better team but nonetheless, their sprint relays are outstanding!

Should be a fun team race in 3a to watch as it appears wide open!

I put Solon above Marion based on the Conference results (Solon was faster in more events). Actually a crapshoot though as the weather should be near perfect for running and anything can happen with all the marbles on the line.

Solon girls finish 1 and 2 in shot put it looks like that West coach that Solon recruited is paying off.joking

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:

Solon girls finish 1 and 2 in shot put it looks like that West coach that Solon recruited is paying off.joking
Haha - good thing his boys have gone to Solon since they were in Kindergarten. Coach W has done a great job with all our throwers (Dalton Ferguson got 2nd in the boys shotput and 6th in discus), I have seen the off-season program and he has kids from all over the state come in.

Girls have to hang on it's going to be close with Assumption.

I will have to say if he is not the best High School throwing coach in Iowa I would be surprise.
Look at all the great throwers he had at West and now Solon is very impressive.

Originally posted by Rudderless:

4A Boys title is Linn-Mar's to lose.
A couple poor performances and a dropped baton could open the door for Iowa City West of Waukee.
They didn't drop a baton.

No they did not. Linn Mar did a great job of going to the well repeatedly and answering the challenges that were put before them!!!! Things were getting pretty tough for the teams that had a lot of kids in a lot of races. You could see Linn Mar starting to wilt but they held on for the victory. Waukee had athletes in 7 of the last 8 events Saturday as well but just couldn't score high enough. Kennedy ran out of events and IC West was on the ropes to start the day but came back pretty well after leaving a lot of points out there that maybe they could have gotten with a better effort on the first day but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

All around great competition on a great weekend weather-wise. Many great peformances and the level of track and field just continues to improve each year.

Monticello within reach of 100 points going into the 3rd leg of the 4 x 400 is probably the most amazing team effort we'll see for a while. There were a number of terrific team races in all classes and both genders.

How do you say that's the most amazing team effort we'll see for awhile. In the past 4 years, there have been 8 teams above the 90-point threshold including at least one per year. Four years ago, 4A girls had teams score 98-97-94 for the top 3.

I don't typically pay attention to the girls team scores. My bad. Nevertheless, if 3 girls teams are scoring over 90points that's impressive and it made for a great team battle but it also tells me that there were about 3 teams with nearly full lineups with any quality at the state meet that year and I'm guessing it was in 4-A and not a lower class. Waukee, City High, City West, Dowling on occasion, Valley on occasion, (Ankeny/Cedar Falls and Ames during the 80's-90's) and who is always in the mix in the last decade? I guess you could count Roosevelt's potential.... Start naming all of the boys teams in any class that have racked up more than 80 points. I'll bet you can count them on one hand. And 80 isn't anywhere near 100. Therefore, Teach, it could be a while until we see someone approaching 100 points in the state meet on the BOYS side.

When CRX put up the 100.5 I thought it would stick for awhile - especially in 3A/4A. I can see a good 1A/2A breaking it with 3-4 quality guys. I'm thinking the CRX team had 3 guys go run for ISU and 1 for UNI.
As far as the past the scoring and events changed years ago - pretty sure the old I City High teams during their dynasty and the teams with Dwight would have been in the 100's.

City High boys in 2000 would have had 94 points under the new system and that's without a shuttle hurdle to pick up additional points. Not as many points in 1999 or 2001 and the history not available online for older years.

Didn't Ames score about 100 in 1991, under the old scoring system. If I'm not mistaken, that was their last win after several in a row before Iowa City High took over.

I could see an Ames team of old doing something like that. They had pretty good depth in those days. Hard to compare the pre-8 place scoring system & non-equal relay points to individual points, no shuttle, pole vault, no pole vault, 2 day format to what is going on today in 3 days but I don't doubt that there were some darned good teams between Davenport Central, Ames and City High.

So, that begs the question; What was the greatest boys track team for a single season in Iowa history?
Just the facts please.... Maybe Mike Jay could help us with this one.

The state meet program lists Ames as having won 20 titles followed by Dav. Central 14, Des Moines East & City High at 11 each. Coach Sletten at Ames had 9 and Coach Raffensperger at City had 10. Coach Augustine at DM East had 9, 8 for Coach Covey at Ames and 7 for Coach Dunsworth at Dav. Central. Ames and City High had the most consecutive at 6.

We haven't seen a string put together for some time. The closest I can think of is IC West finishing 1st or 2nd 5 out of the last 7 years but not the same as laying one down after another. CR Wash was the last with two in a row in 2009 & 2010.

The longest streak on the girls side is 4 by Atlantic, Tipton and North Tama. Coach Henderson at Atlantic has the most with 7.

Waukee and Linn-Mar are communities that look to be on the rise with running paradigms that appear to be important to their schools for both genders in cross country and track. Maybe they will be the next Dynasties on the horizon as the Waukee girls now have 2 consecutive to go with their 2009 title.
This post was edited on 5/20 2:54 PM by On Wings of Eagles

City High's 72 pts in 2000 turns into 94 points, but they were relay heavy. If Ames was individual heavy, then 71 could make it to 100 points or several 7th/8th thrown in there would help too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT