State Championship....West Lyon vs BGM

IASPORT

Freshman
Aug 24, 2010
Obviosly the 2 best teams in Class A.
Who can win the LOS will win this game.

Class A sure has come along ways.Both teams could be competive
in a few classes above.

West Lyon is a great program that wins this game because of size and depth...not just up front but all the way down to special teams.They just have more and better kids to bring in.QB is a playmaker.He could be the difference.

BGM has built a solid program.Great players in Hawkins.Kline and Gtritch.
Good size and speed throughout the defense.
I was very impressed by the younger kids on the D line. Slaymakers and Puls.

I am sure it will be a hard hitting physical game.

Should be a great game.
I think WL is just too strong and deep.They win a close game.
BGM has come along ways. They should be proud of that.

It is truly great to see how far BGM has come over the years. Back in the 1970s and early 80s BGM was not good at football to put it mildly. All of those last names (plus Kriegel) are names I am familiar with from way back then. Like Hayden used to say, 'the sun don't shine on that same ol dog's rump everyday.'

Go Bears!

I've watched bgm a few times, and only saw west Lyon once, but in my eyes, WL looks on another level. I'd take them to give Regina a better game than St. Ed's. so I'll say WL will be up by 4-5 TDs, but BGM will make it closer with a few garbage scores. WL 42-28.

This is the match up everyone has been waiting for all year. Both are very talented teams.

I think this is going to be a low scoring hard hitting game. The way BGM LBs tackle and pursue, I don't think West Lyon will be able to run wild like they have on other teams.

Should be a great matchup. Matchup very well across the board. Will depend on who's playmakers make plays.

This post was edited on 11/17 5:15 PM by usfhawk

Bgm is very impressive. There linebackers are great and there offense gets the job done. I think it will be a very good ball game. Across the board i think it is a evenly matched game. Everbody has been picking west lyon to win and i think im leaning that way but it is all going to depend on who gets on the board first since either team has not played from behind. With that being said i will take west lyon 21-14.

Both of these were mighty impressive on Friday, there really isn't you can compare these teams with concerning common opponents or things like that, eye test to me say that West Lyon wins this, but would not be surprised is BGM won.

Statistical Comparison

BGM

Total Offense - 4796 yards

- Rush - 3290 yards - 7.4 yards per - 64 TDs
- Pass - 1506 yards - 19.3 yards per - 16 TD/9 INT

Top Passers:

- Bryan Kriegel 71/114 - 1400 yards - 14 TD/7 INT

Top Rushers:

- Jack Kline - 229 - 1811 yards - 7.9 per - 32 TDs
- Kyle Gritsch - 100 - 1064 yards - 10.6 - 22 TDs

Defense: 6.08 ppg

West Lyon

Total Offense - 5147 yards

- Rush - 4405 yards - 7.2 per -59 TDs
- Pass - 742 yards - 20.1 per - 12 TD/3 INT

Top Passers:

- Brandon Snyder 27/63 - 501 yards - 10 TD/2 INT
- Dylan Whalen 10/20 - 241 yards - 2 TD/1 INT

Top Rushers:

- Kaleb Heyer - 126 - 1256 yards - 10.0 per - 19 TDs
- Bennett Feuchtenberger - 145 - 983 yards - 6.8 per - 10 TDs
- Brandon Snyder - 76 - 696 yards - 9.2 per - 11 TDs
- Kyle Groeneweg - 60 - 472 yards - 7.9 per - 11 TDs

Defense: 8.69 ppg

Everyone has been taking West Lyon, I'm going to stick true to the SICL and predict that the Bears control the LOS, fly around and contain the balanced West Lyon offensive attack to grab the win. I like Kline to have a doozy of a game as usual, I hope this matchup lives up to the hype. I promise not to get out of hand like last week
ohwell.r191677.gif

BGM 24 West Lyon 21

Best Team in West Lyon History will be talked in Lyon County after this one,

Never seen a team like this at this level ever assembled in my Long history in HS school football.

West Lyon by 20+...

Originally posted by HE SCORES!:
Obviously NOT the 2 best teams in Class A.
I still think the two best teams are playing today. West Lyon is just a lot better than #2, especially with Kline out. He's not coming back, either. They said they were going to wait and see at halftime if he could go, and he's not out there now.

West lyon has been ranked number 1 in pretty much every pole besides des moines register. Bgm kline or not got handled like i said what goes around comes around..... that was a beating.

You are absolutely right there. Coach Burns, welcome to the western part of the state. There are probably 3 or 4 teams wondering if that was the best the Eastern half of the state had to offer. Yes it was, sadly. And BGM proved that not only are they not the best, they are not the second best...or 3rd...or......But hey Bears fans, at least you have all those gaudy stats against mediocre competition to hang in your trophy case. THAT was a beat down not unlike what the Burns likes to do against teams that are down, not a state championship game. Sad to see Kline get hurt....but please....it would not have made a difference. So you would have got beat by 30? So what. But there is always "revenge" for next year. Look out West Lyon in 2014!

Well the BCMoore rankings has West Lyon as the 2nd best team in the state at Class 3A and below (behind SC Heelan). Quite impressive for an A school. I have no reason to doubt Brent's computer either. West Lyon is an impressive outfit.

Originally posted by jchitwood12:

You are absolutely right there. Coach Burns, welcome to the western part of the state. There are probably 3 or 4 teams wondering if that was the best the Eastern half of the state had to offer. Yes it was, sadly. And BGM proved that not only are they not the best, they are not the second best...or 3rd...or......But hey Bears fans, at least you have all those gaudy stats against mediocre competition to hang in your trophy case. THAT was a beat down not unlike what the Burns likes to do against teams that are down, not a state championship game. Sad to see Kline get hurt....but please....it would not have made a difference. So you would have got beat by 30? So what. But there is always "revenge" for next year. Look out West Lyon in 2014!
What I don't get, and yes Kline gets hurt so that does take away a HUGE dimension of BGM obviously, is Burns getting pass crazy. He never went pass crazy like that when he had Denzel Van Sant, the best receiver two years in a row in Class A. Gritsch is a talented player and no offense to Kriegel but going from running the ball about 90 percent of the season to throwing on every down had to be tough for him because the pass routes were predictable: slant, bubble, take off. I think Kriegel is a good quarterback, just didn't have to throw very complex routes/combinations all year and it showed in this game unfortunately. Great season by both teams, you guys were definitely right saying this could be the best West Lyon team ever assembled. I've been waiting all year to see if they were as advertised and they definitely were. Hats off to them and BGM!

Originally posted by Herdcyclones:
Well the BCMoore rankings has West Lyon as the 2nd best team in the state at Class 3A and below (behind SC Heelan). Quite impressive for an A school. I have no reason to doubt Brent's computer either. West Lyon is an impressive outfit.
I would disagree with that ranking, and maybe not just West Lyon's. Iowa City Regina took an absolute shit all over Solon (at Solon), who reached the 3A semis. Heelan and West Lyon are very, very good, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't feel wary of picking them to beat any team outside of 4A (and there are several 4A schools I think they could beat.

Love the WL win. Maybe now BGM knows how it feels when y beat teams by scoring 70 and 80 points against opponents. The announcers for BGM made it sound like if Kline played the score would have been close. WL is at a different level than the rest of the class.

Saying West Lyon is at a different level is a huge understatement. That team is phenominal. There isnt a weakness anywhere when they take the field. I think they could line up against anyone in the state in any class and compete. Truly amazing how their football team is almost half of their overall school enrollment. Then on top of that to have that kind of talent from top to bottom is just hard to believe. Wow.

Originally posted by meodon1:
Love the WL win. Maybe now BGM knows how it feels when y beat teams by scoring 70 and 80 points against opponents. The announcers for BGM made it sound like if Kline played the score would have been close. WL is at a different level than the rest of the class.
It would have been closer, anyway. They still probably lose by 30, though. He just represent such a huge part of that offense, and his absence took away an entire dimension. Gritsch isn't slow, but Kline gives them all kinds of big play ability in every phase of the game. I definitely felt sick to my stomach to see him after he knew he wasn't gonna get back in the game. Seeing him alone on the bench, just kind of staring off into nothing, was pretty depressing.

This post was edited on 11/22 10:10 AM by tm3308

Hate to see a senior go out like that. Great player and big loss for BGM.

But, him playing would not have changed the outcome. West Lyon was the best class A football team I have seen in a long time maybe ever.

I fully agree. He would have made it a little more interesting, but that wouldn't have taken much. I felt West Lyon would win all along, although I thought it would be a much more competitive game.

Hats off to West Lyon on a great season. The performance they put on in their two games at the dome this past week were dominant.

Having watched several BGM games this season I was convinced this would be a good game. I also agree that WL could play with just about anybody up through the very top end of 3A.

How much does West Lyon return next year?

(Some Fearsome Eagle Beast advance scouting. :) )

They do lose their QB, TB , FB, TE
They return their All State Line man

But here is the problem. Their JV kids received SO much playing time that they will be ready to go again next year.
Hope to see them go to 1A.

Basically. The Bottom line.
They don't lose anybody, They just Reload.

Will be interesting to see where WL ends up next fall. A or 1A.

I will say that their BEDS # will be lower than it was last classification. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT