ADVERTISEMENT

State Basketball Brackets

I believe they seed the state tournament based on the final rankings that were released by the IGHSAU.

I believe that the state pairs up teams by region. 1vs8 2vs7 etc etc.

Or perhaps I'm thinking of football districts.

The state used to make the line pairings based on the who they perceived are the top 8 teams in the state in each class. For example, the regional pairing used to come out right before christmas break so everyone knew their postseason match-ups but at that time you don't know who would be ranked 1-8. So around the last week in Jan or first week in Feb the state would line up the regionals based on their perceived rankings at that time. If the #1 team was in region 5 and the #8 team was in regional 2 then they would be lined up to face off in the first round at state, etc...... Its great in theory but it doesn't take into account that regionals chosen so early are not equally set up so there would be upsets every so often. If a team was upset it wouldn't matter because the line pairing are already set so if the #1 team got upset and the line pairing was already set then the #8 team would have an easier first round opponent than the 7 teams ranked ahead of them. Again that was the past and changed a few years ago.

Now the state waits until around Jan 20 to release more equally distributed regionals. They take the teams that are #1-8 in the final rankings to date and separate them into different regionals. Then once the regional finals are played the state tournament is re-seeded based on ranking and record.

once regional play is done they re-seat the state tourney--they started this last season

Am I understanding correctly, for example the # 1 ranked team would be on lets say the top side of the bracket and #2 ranked team on the bottom of the bracket. The #3 ranked on the top side #4 ranked on the bottom side if bracket and so on and so forth?

I think he means 1,4,5 &8 on the top side and 2,3,6 & 7 would be on the bottom side. That is usually how that works.

Husker is correct...

8teambracket.jpg

This post was edited on 1/29 12:06 PM by SEPRamFan

I don't know about knowledge i think i just got lucky. LOL. February should be extremely exciting! I cannot wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT