ADVERTISEMENT

Spring League Action 2017

HawkPT

Freshman
Dec 13, 2002
Rain limited games this weekend, so the Perfect Game Iowa Spring Wood Bat League was moved to Independence for Sunday, where they have a turf infield. Each team got just one 9-inning game this weekend, and I only saw one full game and the end of another.

In the game I saw just the end of, junior Gabe Lux (2018 Xavier), a left-handed batter, had two line drive base hits. One went for a double, and he had a total of 6 RBIs that game. His bat looked quick, and he got on plane, on time to square the ball up nicely.

I also saw junior Nic McCay (2018 Carlisle) throw two innings. He has good command of the FB and his off-speed stuff, and I believe he was up to 85-86 on a pretty chilly day.

The best arm of the day (though I didn't see it) belonged to Ben Probst (2017 Dowling Catholic), the Nebraska commit. He hit 92 mph and showed good command as he struck out 5 in 2 IP.

In the full game I saw, junior Luke Patzner (2018 Urbandale), the Iowa commit, had much better control and command this week. He hit 89 mph, consistently threw his FB and slider for strikes, and was very efficient.

Evan Reifert (2017 Wilton) hit 90 mph and had a solid first inning, though junior Kade Vander Molen (2018 Pella Christian) was able to line a double over the right fielder. However, Reifert lost control and command in the second inning. Vander Molen went 2 for 3 on the day and leads the league in hits so far with 5 after three games in two weekends.

Clayton Nettleton (2018 Davenport West) threw two innings and grinded through two scoreless innings. I believe he hit 88 mph.

The hitting show of the day was by Jaden Rolffs (2018 Pella), who banged a ball off the center field fence (just left of center) and had a total of two solid hits on the day. He also gunned down a runner attempting to steal third base.

Next weekend the teams converge on the western side of the state playing around Council Bluffs (Abraham Lincoln and Lewis Central). It looks like the weather is forecasted to cooperate a little better and provide an environment for some pretty decent spring baseball.

Games got moved from Council Bluffs to NE Iowa because of potential weather issues. I was in Independence again on Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday, Casey Sole (2019 Cedar Falls) hammered one to the fence in RF, but had difficulty adjusting to the off-speed pitches the remainder of the day and struck out a few times.

Four pitchers in particular performed well for Black Magic. Trever Brown (2018 Don Bosco) hit 86 and commanded pretty well. Braden Houston (2018 IC West) commanded three pitches and struck out some good hitters. Tony Comellas (2018 IC West) also commanded well, and Austin Krob (2018 Lisbon), a lefty, hit 84 and threw lots of strikes.

Jaden Rolffs (2018 Pella) had two hits including a deep shot for a double. Kade Vander Molen (2018 Pella) had three hits and pulled a deep line drive over the LF's head off a curveball. For the Grey Wolves, Luke Llewellyn (2018 Urbandale) had lots of strikeouts in 4 IP.

On Sunday, the two best teams in the league matched up (Golden Bears & Grey Wolves) in a doubleheader, and there was lots of talent on display. Very little happened at the plate as the teams split, 0-1 and 2-0, but that's because the pitching was dominant and the weather was chilly. The loudest hit of the day was a line drive in front of the LF, who was playing deep, for Kamron Arons (2017 Bettendorf; NIACC commit). Tyler Hillman (2017 Pella; NDSU commit) sawed off Brayden Frazier (2018 CR Jeff; Iowa commit) leading to a violent display of shattering wood from a 2-seam fastball on the hands.

Connor Van Scoyoc (2018 CR Jeff; Arizona State commit) was up to 88 mph and had command of three pitches. Luke Patzner (2018 Urbandale; Iowa commit) had command of the fastball and the slider again and was up to 89 mph. Connor Schultz (2017 Cedar Falls; Butler commit) and Kade Vander Molen (2018 Pella Christian) were both up to 87 mph and missed barrels. This was also the first time I've seen Austin Marchesani (2017 Cedar Falls; Kirkwood commit) pitch, and he looks strong as well.

Two Perfect Game select teams were up in Kenosha, WI this weekend playing against Hitters Baseball Academy and Wisconsin STIKS, so I had a good, extended look at several players I haven't seen as much from this spring.

Many POs didn't make the trip, including Ben Probst (2017 Dowling, Nebraska commit), Cam Baumann (2017 Fairfield, Iowa commit), Luke Patzner (2018 Urbandale, Iowa commit), Clayton Nettleton (2018 Dav West, Iowa commit), Nic McCay (2018 Carlisle), Trever Brown (2018 Don Bosco), Evan Reifert (2017 Wilton), Will Nigut (2018 Roosevelt), & Jared Townsend (2019 Wilton).

All in all, the weather was beautiful, but the play was pretty ugly at times for both squads. Nonetheless, several players shined including the normal suspects like John Swanda (up to 90 mph again), Brayden Frazier, Izaya Ono-Fullard, and Connor Shultz. Connor McCaffery made the trip this weekend, but I only saw one AB of his.

The one who stood out to me the most as an previously unknown (to me, at least) was Max Slavens (2019 Pleasant Valley). He is a MIF, most likely 2B, who bats from the left side and has good barrel control. He played well in the infield too with athletic movements and a quick transfer. He will be a player to watch in the next couple of years.

Kamrin Arons (2017 Bettendorf, NIACC commit) consistently hits the ball hard and hustles well for a guy with his body size. It will be fun to see what he develops into at NIACC.

Tony Comellas (2018 IC West) squared the ball up two or three times, and he had a home run that was ruled foul down the left field line. He didn't pitch or catch, though, as he is nursing a minor finger injury on his throwing hand.

Jack Wilson (2018 IC West) looked pretty good on the mound yesterday. He has a reputation for being inconsistent with his command, but he was hitting the corners with his fastball in the two innings he threw yesterday.

Kade Vander Molen (2018 Pella Christian) also showed good command of all three pitches yesterday. It was the best he's thrown the CB this spring, and he was showing it early in the count this weekend. He gave up no runs on one hit, one walk, and two strikeouts in 3 IP.

It's clear that IC West will be a top contender in 4A this summer again, and it sounds like Ono-Fullard will quite possibly be slotted at 2B. Cedar Falls will have some excellent pitching options, but I'm not sure they'll be strong enough offensively to consistently win at their level. DM Roosevelt will be good as well, though they'll miss Ben Norman. None of their guys are doing the PG Spring League, but it sounds like Prairie has some good players returning as well.

please keep these updates flowing. Not sure how spring ball matches summer play, but like reading.
Thanks for the kind words! This weekend, I'll be at the Perfect Game 2017 Spring Top Prospect Showcase in Cedar Rapids.

If weather cooperates, I'll be able to see John Swanda (2017 Roosevelt, Nebraska), Connor McCaffery (2017 IC West, Iowa), Connor Van Scoyoc (2018 CR Jeff, Arizona State), Brayden Frazier (2018 CR Jeff, Iowa), Clayton Nettleton (2018 Dav West, Iowa), Luke Patzner (2018 Urbandale, Iowa), & Connor Schultz (2017 CF, Butler), among those already committed, in game action.

Among those that are still uncommitted but garnering attention, I will see Izaya Ono-Fullard (2017 IC West), Jevon Mason (2018 Valley), Jaden Rolffs (2018 Pella), Kade Vander Molen (2018 Pella Christian), Luke Llewellyn (2018 Urbandale), Jared Townsend (2019 Wilton), and Ian Moller (2021 Wahlert) in game action.

In skills action, I look forward to watching Calvin Harris (2020 Western Dubuque), Keaton Duckett (2018 Johnston), Jarrett Blunt (2018 Ottumwa), & Nic McCay (2018 Carlisle).

There are 104 kids signed up for this event.

Oh man, I don't know where to start. There were a lot of good players to watch this weekend at the Perfect Game Spring Top Prospect Showcase. The bad news is that the event for the most part took place indoors with the game simulations, so I couldn't see position players very well and hitting is more difficult to assess. However, it allowed me to see more players overall, which was good.

One thing to keep in mind with PG events is that all hitting is done with a wood bat. Therefore, the hitting measures (particularly the exit velo) doesn't directly compare to other events like PBR that allow the use of metal BBCOR bats.

INFIELDERS

The throwing activities took place outdoors in the cold and wind. Kade Vander Molen (2018 Pella Christian) had the best IF velo at 89 mph, which is excellent especially considering the elements. Others of note: Gregory Bennett (2017 Western Dubuque; IWCC) & Jaden Rolffs (2018 Pella) both at 88 mph.

OUTFIELDERS

The outfield velocity was topped by Jarrett Blunt (2018 Ottumwa) at 90 mph.

CATCHERS

At catcher, Jordan Wendel (2018 Alta Aurelia; Butler) had the best velocity at 85 mph, which was amazing given that it was outdoors and into the wind. The 8th grader from Dubuque, Ian Moller, stole the show with an event best 1.88 pop time. He also had a 91 exit velo with a wood bat. The only other sub-2 pop time was Jaden Rolffs (2018 Pella) at 1.97.

RUNNING

The 60 yard dash was done at the Coe College tennis facility, and it was won by Gavyn Ashley (2018 Muscatine) who ran a 6.65. He beat Jevon Mason (2018 WDM Valley) by a small margin (6.69 secs). I was really impressed with Landon Vander Leest (2018 Pella) who is 6'2" and weighs over 200 lbs and ran it in 6.75 secs & had the best 10-yard split at 1.57 secs. Another big body that ran well was Austin Krob (2018 Lisbon) at 6.90 secs, the day after running at the Drake Relays. Of the 100 participants, there were 13 sub-7 times, six from the state of Iowa including Evan Reifert (6.93; 2018 Wilton, NIACC) & Kade Vander Molen (6.99).

EXIT VELOCITY

Exit velocities were impressive this event with 20 players at 90 mph or better. The best by far was Izaya Ono-Fullard, who showed up to the facility and began hacking with little warm-up and still got a 99 mph reading. Others of note from Iowa: Jaden Rolffs (94), Carter Baumler (93; 2020 Dowling), Brayden Frazier (92; CR Jeff, Iowa), Evan Reifert (92), Gregory Bennett (91), Nick Hagan (91; 2017 Burlington, MCC), Jevon Mason (91), & Kade Vander Molen (91).

PITCHERS

I could write 10,000 words on pitching, but I'll keep it brief. John Swanda (2017 Roosevelt; Nebraska) is a stud. He consistently was at 89-90 but had a 93 mph, and he has command of CB & CU. He made lots of hitters look silly, as you might imagine. A Blue Jay scout was there watching closely. Swanda now lists himself as a pitcher first and MIF second, so maybe he will consider the draft. We'll see.

Pitchers who hit 90 included Luke Patzner (2018 Urbandale; Iowa) and Clayton Nettleton (2018 Dav West; Iowa).

Keaton Duckett (2018 Johnston) hit 89 mph.

The following hit 88 mph: Jacob Bockenstedt (2018 CR Wash) & Connor Schultz (2018 CF; Butler)

The following hit 87 mph: Trevor Brown (2018 Don Bosco), Nic McCay (2018 Carlisle), Will Nigut (2018 Roosevelt), Evan Reifert, Connor Van Scoyoc (2018 CR Jeff; Arizona State), & Kade Vander Molen

The following hit 86: Carter Baumler, Luke Llewellyn (2018 Urbandale), Connor Reed (2019 Pekin), Landon Vander Leest, & Jack Wilson (2018 IC West).

The following hit 85: Jarret Blunt, Austin Krob, & Ryne Schooley (2018 IC Regina)

The most impressive Iowa players by class (in my opinion, of course, and at this event)...

2021 - Ian Moller (Dub Wahlert)
2020 - Carter Baumler (Dowling) & Calvin Harris (Western Dubuque)
2019 - Sam Goodman (Western Dubuque) & Jared Townsend (Wilton)
2018 - Jacob Bockenstedt (CR Wash), Trever Brown (Don Bosco), Keaton Duckett (Johnston), Brayden Frazier (CR Jeff; Iowa), Austin Krob (Lisbon), Luke Llewellyn (Urbandale), Nic McCay (Carlisle), Clayton Nettleton (Dav West; Iowa), Will Nigut (Roosevelt), Luke Patzner (Urbandale; Iowa), Jaden Rolffs (Pella), Connor Van Scoyoc (CR Jeff; Arizona State), Landon Vander Leest (Pella), Kade Vander Molen (Pella Christian), & Jack Wilson (IC West).
2017 - Gregory Bennett (Western Dubuque; IWCC), Izaya Ono-Fullard (IC West), Evan Reifert (Wilton; NIACC), Connor Schultz (CF; Butler), John Swanda (Roosevelt; Nebraska), & Jordan Wendel (Alta Aurelia; Butler)

In my opinion, the 2018 class is pretty deep, particularly with arms. I expect many Iowa 2018 players will have D1 opportunities, and the next on the board to collect offers and commit are Nic McCay and Kade Vander Molen.

HawkPT: Do you know where Ian Moller is headed? He plays freshman ball for DBQ Senior, I think. He was in Wahlert Middle school until a year or two ago. The different internet pages have conflicting answers.

I haven't heard, but his Perfect Game profile says Wahlert the last I looked.

And, he's a 2021, so he's just finishing 8th grade.

If you're asking where he's committed to play college, I don't think he has committed yet. My family is not in his shoes, but I find it very difficult to believe that any 8th grader (or freshman for that matter) can truly pick the college that's best for him.

Last edited:
Some more great ball happened in the last event of the Perfect Game Iowa Spring Wood Bat Scout League on Sunday. I'll keep it as short as I can.

Several key players weren't there: Ben Probst, Joel Thompson, Clayton Nettleton, Connor Schultz, Jordan Wendel, Kamrin Arons, Jacob Boekenstedt, & Will Nigut, to name some.

John Swanda pitched three innings in front of a bevy of scouts there to observe him. He didn't disappoint, although I didn't hear what he hit on the radar gun. He was his usual self with good velocity and command of multiple pitches. A sophomore from CR Wash, Lincoln Riley, did square him up for a solid single.

Connor Van Scoyoc only went one inning. Cam Baumann looked like he was throwing a little harder, but he struggled with command in his final inning. Several pitchers struggled more with command than normal like Luke Patzner, Luke Llewellyn, Jarrett Blunt, and Tyler Hillman (two-way player, primary infielder).

Some solid hits came from Izaya Ono-Fullard, Brayden Frazier, Connor McCaffery, and Kade Vander Molen. The best hitter of the day easily was Jaden Rolffs. He played in all three games because one team was short on catchers, and I believe he had a HR, two or three doubles, and a pair of singles on the day.

The league was pretty strong this year, and it definitely gave the kids a chance to develop well before the first official high school pitch is thrown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT