ADVERTISEMENT

Southeast Polk Running Back Gavin Williams announces his transfer to Dowling Catholic

Three responses:

1. Of course I'm not surprised that some perceive his transfer as "disloyal". I just think its ridiculous. No student has an obligation to stay at a school, even if the other parents make them a treat bag. It's a free country, and that even applies to Altoona, Mitchellville, Runnells, and parts of Pleasant Hill. Throwing around words like "disloyal" implies an obligation that does not exist.

2. I'm not talking down to anybody. Polk has an excellent staff, made it to the semi-finals, and have a good chance of doing it again. But if a kid wants to transfer because he thinks its best for him, its his decision -- even if it's the wrong decision. Why should you or anyone else have ANY input into where he decides to go to school?

3. As for tax money, you missed the point. I have to pay taxes to support public schools, but I am not obligated to send my kids there. I pay for private schools and know the state will never pay for it, but there is nothing disloyal about saying "no thanks" to government run schools for my kids. In fact, all those private school students across the state actually save the taxpayers money, since they don't have to pay for their schooling at the local public school. No need to thank me, you're welcome.

Apparently you care. Or you wouldn't be here trying to convince us not to. It's a 4A message board. One of the top recruits in the state just transferred to a program that is already one of the top in the state, region, and arguably a top 30 in the country. What else do you expect people to discuss on a 4A high school football forum in the offseason? Don't be obtuse.

If you think Dowling is "arguably top 30 in the country"....I've got some ocean front property in Nevada I'd sell you for next to nothing.

Reactions: cymark
Alright, regardless of their national ranking, care to respond to any of the rest of the post or.... "Bud"?

Are you referring to your rant above?

Here's how I feel about the situation of a 17/18 year old kid moving from one school in the Metro to another.....

1). I honestly don't care. He isn't my child. I'm not his parent. Why on Earth would I care where a kid decides to attend high school? People who do are more than likely emotionally tied to the transfer (Relative plays for SEP) or just hates parochial schools in general. I do agree that I believe it's a travesty that there isn't a separation of public and private schools in regards to sporting events, but it seems that Iowa doesn't have enough private schools to merit a separate division and accommodate size of schools.

2). I believe high school athletics is about the kids. If a child and their parents decide to do what it's in the best interest of the child then I am all for it. I believe Williams is going to Dowling to better ready himself for college in the department of football as well as try to compete for a state title. He and his parents believe Dowling better readies him for college and gives him a better shot to win a state title. Is it a guarantee that Dowling will win? No. Is it a guarantee that Dowling will ready him any better than SEP would? No. It's a gamble. It's their choice. It's about the kid and parents doing something for their OWN child and HIS FUTURE. I read in your above post that you believe that SEP's staff could ready him just as well as Dowling's. That's your opinion. Williams and his parents may have a different feeling. People with differing opinions, crazy.

3). The part that is easy to harp on is the emotional pull of teammates, coaches, parents, and fans that have stuck by Williams' side. There is something to be stated about team, but that should never get in the way of doing what is best for your future. Imagine if everyone followed that mantra. We are really going to chastise a kid for transferring to do what he believes is best for him but do we ever lambast coaches (at any level) for leaving their team to coach another team that may be a better opportunity? No. I'd bet dollars to donuts that 99% of 3A/4A coaches would leave their respective programs at the chance to coach Centennial, Valley, or Dowling. Would you hold them to the same standard? I doubt it.

At the end of the day, I hope Williams is able to do whatever he sets out to accomplish. He's a heck of a player and his offers indicate that a lot of people see some high end potential out of him. Good to see the Metro continue to pump out top end talent.

SEP took the two top wrestlers and the top girls basketball player from Indianola in just the past two years. If they start whining about this it'll be pretty rich.

Reactions: bigbock91
1). Why on Earth does anyone care where a 17/18 year old child decides to play high school football? He and his family decided the transfer to Dowling was what is best for him. Kudos.
Because it affects the ability of every other 17/18 year old child's opportunity to compete for a state championship. It's BS that they will have four all-state players on their offense that weren't at Dowling two years ago. If this is the path Dowling wants to take, then fine. But pull out of the IHSAA and compete with other high schools in that do the same.

Reactions: Willymo and Cc5db
They would be completely dismantled by “the IMG’s of the country”, not even close.
Right now, definitely. But if they begin to play on a national stage, more and more will feed into the school just for that shot of national recognition.

You cannot have adult led prayer at a school function. That is to protect young people who may not feel comfortable advocating for themselves when they feel pressured to join a religious activity or feel like they are not part of a "team activity" at a publicly funded school. That's pretty easy to understand. The First Amendment is not "killing America" any more than the Second Amendment. No pun intended.

Reactions: KidSilverhair
I’ve not seen this story being on the east coast (Iowa). It’s well known kids taking part in voluntary public prayer is a major factor of societal decay, bravo bureaucrats.

Last edited:
Just have them exempt from participating in the IA HS state, have them go play the IMG's of the country.
Hey if your team doesn't like all the top players in the largest metropolitan area in the state leaving their schools to all go play for one school, you should just, like, ya know...................get better.

Reactions: obfuscating
So the majority of the team was okay with it, but a few weren't so it had to stop. Let's coddle everyone and just not say anything about anything then we won't offend anyone, right? Oh wait, a moment of silence is even prohibited...

The minority's rights are just as important as the majority's. That's in the constitution, sport.

Back to the topic at hand.... Does anyone know how Gavin's classes are going, as this was quite obviously a move for academic purposes?

The minority's rights are just as important as the majority's. That's in the constitution, sport.

Back to the topic at hand.... Does anyone know how Gavin's classes are going, as this was quite obviously a move for academic purposes?

Lmao. This is good stuff. At this point, seriously, let’s just hope Gavin is healthy and does well. It’s the fifth game of the season....

SEP is doing well this year (thus far), assuming they make the PO’s, a SEP vs Dowling game could be intriguing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT