ADVERTISEMENT

Southeast Polk Running Back Gavin Williams announces his transfer to Dowling Catholic

We recruit all our students, we recruit band and chorus students as well, why wouldn't he want to come to the best team money can buy, funny nobody seems to say anything when Johnston gets an All State D Lineman from DCG, blah, blah, blah................

If true, Dowling should be ashamed...let alone the judgement of whoever was involved in making such a decision (not like he wasn't getting sufficient D1 exposure).
Curious how the SEP players feel about this.

We recruit all our students, we recruit band and chorus students as well, why wouldn't he want to come to the best team money can buy, funny nobody seems to say anything when Johnston gets an All State D Lineman from DCG, blah, blah, blah................
You should know what you're talking about before making statements like this. The lineman you speak of grew up living in Johnston, parents divorced, went to DCG with his mom, his father died and she decided to move back to Johnston. Trust me, it's not the same.

But with that being said, I have no problem with Dowling and how they get kids to come to school there. It's a private institution and in a sense they recruit every kid that goes to school there. And I'm not saying that as a bad thing. i don't blame anyone for going to Dowling, it's a fine scholastic institution.

But with that being said, I have no problem with Dowling and how they get kids to come to school there. It's a private institution and in a sense they recruit every kid that goes to school there. And I'm not saying that as a bad thing. i don't blame anyone for going to Dowling, it's a fine scholastic institution.
Depends on "how" they're getting kids to come there. As one who sent their kids to Catholic schools a number of years for the purpose of strengthening faith formation (which must first start and finish at home BTW), then fine. If parents in the DM metro area think DCHS is doing a better job than their public HS educating, it's perhaps safer or they want a Catholic centered education and they have the means (or can receive subsidies) to pay the tution, good, do it.
But the question which must honestly be answered by all concerned; Are kids truly being "recruited" for the purpose of strengthening HS extracurricular programs and if so, is this considered acceptable?

Last edited:
Reactions: J_mac8383
If true, Dowling should be ashamed...let alone the judgement of whoever was involved in making such a decision (not like he wasn't getting sufficient D1 exposure).

This Dowling situation is no different than SEP wrestling, I highly doubt the coaches are actively recruiting these kids. These kids aspire for greater success, see the proven results, and want to get better so transfer. It has happened at Dowling forever and most recently at SEP for wrestling.

This Dowling situation is no different than SEP wrestling, I highly doubt the coaches are actively recruiting these kids. These kids aspire for greater success, see the proven results, and want to get better so transfer. It has happened at Dowling forever and most recently at SEP for wrestling.
Not being from the DM area, I will take your word (about SEP wrestling). Which leads me to the second part of the question, Is this (or should it be) acceptable?

Last edited:

Even if "recruiting" was involved--and I highly doubt it was as success sort of recruits itself--I'm not sure why Dowling should be "ashamed" that a kid wants to attend their school? I mean, even if "recruiting" happened, the kid still has to want to be there, right?

Reactions: CFTigers68
I don't think Dowling feels ashamed at all. The common perception is that they have no shame in getting these kids. It is a private school, so the entire metro area is their 'district.' Gavin Williams goes to SE Polk, apparently he grew up with many of them, has most of his friends at SE Polk, has major D-1 offers, but for some reason feels he has to go to Dowling? I guess I miss the draw here. I'm old, and the idea that you leave that for the possibility of a state championship on a different team seems weird.

I don't think Dowling feels ashamed at all. The common perception is that they have no shame in getting these kids. It is a private school, so the entire metro area is their 'district.' Gavin Williams goes to SE Polk, apparently he grew up with many of them, has most of his friends at SE Polk, has major D-1 offers, but for some reason feels he has to go to Dowling? I guess I miss the draw here. I'm old, and the idea that you leave that for the possibility of a state championship on a different team seems weird.

By the way, I wish him nothing but success, and I don't hold anything against any kids at Dowling. They're good kids.

My concern with private schools is that there is no geographic boundary. This kid from SE Polk can transfer to Dowling without any consequences. But if he transferred to another public school, he would have to sit 90 days of varsity competition, unless he physically moved there. How many public school boundaries will he be driven through to get to Dowling? I know of some kids driving 30 or more miles to get to a private school.

...and I don't hold anything against any kids at Dowling. They're good kids.

I'm sure most are, it's not a case of "holding anything against" the kids at Dowling, they're not the ones paying the tuition or approving these decisions. I get it, what's better to a 17-18yr old, being an all-state player on a 4-5 team or an all-state player (or a participant) for a state champion? Perhaps things have changed, yeah, I know they have. With the luxury of hindsight, given the choice between playing on a 4-5 team (which mine was a LONG time ago), not making the PO's, yet being with all my friends I'd grown up with, played many an athletic event and shared tons of laughs...and some tears or, be a hired gun on a state champion team, that one's easy for me...I'll stick with my friends...but that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradk6

I thought the same thing also, so I asked an SEP parent co-worker, he said that SEP graduated 4 of 5 OL and the JR or Soph class is not the best. They said Dowling has two fringe D1 OL, so that would make so sense, plenty of holes to run through, more success and less injury?

Being a track fan, I do know that SEP's sprint relays took a hit as they would have contended for some relay titles with Williams

My concern with private schools is that there is no geographic boundary. This kid from SE Polk can transfer to Dowling without any consequences. But if he transferred to another public school, he would have to sit 90 days of varsity competition, unless he physically moved there. How many public school boundaries will he be driven through to get to Dowling? I know of some kids driving 30 or more miles to get to a private school.

The rules are the same public or private. Not sure where your misconception of the rule comes from.

The rules are the same public or private. Not sure where your misconception of the rule comes from.
How are the rules the same? He won't have to sit out 90 days of varsity competition. If he transferred to Valley he would. Can you think of any family traveling over 30 miles one way to go to a public school?

He has to sit out 90 days of varsity competition at Dowling. It's just like any other transfer. Why do you think otherwise?

How are the rules the same? He won't have to sit out 90 days of varsity competition. If he transferred to Valley he would. Can you think of any family traveling over 30 miles one way to go to a public school?

Are you really out of the loop? The rules are the same. And yes I have known families that have traveled far longer for public schools. Look around, forget your bias and move on.

You should know what you're talking about before making statements like this. The lineman you speak of grew up living in Johnston, parents divorced, went to DCG with his mom, his father died and she decided to move back to Johnston. Trust me, it's not the same.

I think you missed the sarcasm in my post. I do know the situation I referenced which is why I was posting as if I was a typical Dowling person and echoing the nonsense they would spew about the original topic... which you basically did by saying 'it's a private institution and in a sense they recruit every kid'.
As have others in in thread. When you have the ability to grant scholarships in exchange for play.. you are playing by different rules than everybody else. Dowling kids are good kids, well coached, work hard, etc. The players who walked in to Dowling as freshman 4 years ago (this years' Seniors) would NOT have won a State Championship a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Cc5db
I think you missed the sarcasm in my post. I do know the situation I referenced which is why I was posting as if I was a typical Dowling person and echoing the nonsense they would spew about the original topic... which you basically did by saying 'it's a private institution and in a sense they recruit every kid'.
As have others in in thread. When you have the ability to grant scholarships in exchange for play.. you are playing by different rules than everybody else. Dowling kids are good kids, well coached, work hard, etc. The players who walked in to Dowling as freshman 4 years ago (this years' Seniors) would NOT have won a State Championship a few weeks ago.

As opposed to granting the scholarships to make the public school free to play at? I am sure it occurs at some schools. The situation for me was, legacy family with a strong athletics background were allowed to apply for need based aid. No 'scholarships' for my kids who ended up being all state, multiple state champions and appearances in state in multiple sports. Maybe others get a better deal.

Yes.. others get a better deal. I have no problem with the kids that start there freshman year.. it's the late additions that get into the garbage zone.

I truly hope the "transfer" rumors in this thread end up being complete nonsense and hearsay...for the good of all involved.

I spoke to a dad of a Dowling player at work today, he sure got quiet and wanted to change the subject real quick when I brought up the latest two transfers. How did he say it, "coaches don't actively recruit, but Wilson sure doesn't close any doors."

Yeah well, again if true IMO there should be a lot of people slinking off when asked about it.

I spoke to a dad of a Dowling player at work today, he sure got quiet and wanted to change the subject real quick when I brought up the latest two transfers. How did he say it, "coaches don't actively recruit, but Wilson sure doesn't close any doors."

To go with an earlier post of mine...why would he or should he?

"There's something wrong with your character if opportunity controls your loyalty."

What Dowling does is legal, but it takes all value away from what they accomplish. Their banners aren't worth the cloth their printed on. They are a joke. It's a shame too, Wilson is a great coach and would have a great program without sacrificing his integrity.

"There's something wrong with your character if opportunity controls your loyalty."

What Dowling does is legal, but it takes all value away from what they accomplish. Their banners aren't worth the cloth their printed on. They are a joke. It's a shame too, Wilson is a great coach and would have a great program without sacrificing his integrity.
I’m not a big parochial guy by any means but how is Wilson sacrificing his integrity? Is he supposed to not let these transfers on his team? Not play them? I don’t agree with kids/parents transferring for sports but Wilson isn’t doing anything wrong as I see. I really doubt he or his staff approaches these really good players to come to Dowling.

1). Why on Earth does anyone care where a 17/18 year old child decides to play high school football? He and his family decided the transfer to Dowling was what is best for him. Kudos.

2). The fact that people are trying to throw Wilson's integrity under the bus is absolutely garbage. A new kid comes to the school and he's good at football. What should Wilson do? "Well buddy, you're really talented and could really help our team out....but......I don't want my high school coaching reputation tarnished.....so you can't play." What a joke.

3). This is a good opportunity to let kids know....sometimes people are better at you in certain aspects of life.......it's okay.

I don't like kids transferring any more or less than anyone else.
But..

1. Dowling isn't recruiting these kids. Their reputation is.
2. Its competition. If you don't like it, make your program better. Give kids a reason to stay.
3. For all those complaining about Dowling...you would feel much different if he showed up to your door steps wanting to enroll....i.e. Valley, Both Ankeneys, Waukee, Johnston....
4. In this day and age, with our culture....it will become more common.

I don't like kids transferring any more or less than anyone else.
But..

1. Dowling isn't recruiting these kids. Their reputation is.
2. Its competition. If you don't like it, make your program better. Give kids a reason to stay.
3. For all those complaining about Dowling...you would feel much different if he showed up to your door steps wanting to enroll....i.e. Valley, Both Ankeneys, Waukee, Johnston....
4. In this day and age, with our culture....it will become more common.

Let's say for argument's sake DHS isn't "recruiting" any of their student athletes or using athletic scholarships to incentivize their decision. The cost to attend DHS for one year: Tuition for the 2018-2019 school year is $7,986 plus fees for parish-participating families and $11,176 plus fees for non-participating families.
I'm going out on a limb here and will assume many of these rumored transfers (if not all) are not parish-participating families, which means they're required to commit in excess of $11k to attend DHS. If you've got the resources and it's that important to you, knock yourself out. However, if you're not actually paying the $8-11k tuition, it's being subsidized...you are no different than the kid with a scholarship to "name your college", just be honest about what's truly going on, that's all.

Let's say for argument's sake DHS isn't "recruiting" any of their student athletes or using athletic scholarships to incentivize their decision. The cost to attend DHS for one year: Tuition for the 2018-2019 school year is $7,986 plus fees for parish-participating families and $11,176 plus fees for non-participating families.
I'm going out on a limb here and will assume many of these rumored transfers (if not all) are not parish-participating families, which means they're required to commit in excess of $11k to attend DHS. If you've got the resources and it's that important to you, knock yourself out. However, if you're not actually paying the $8-11k tuition, it's being subsidized...you are no different than the kid with a scholarship to "name your college", just be honest about what's truly going on, that's all.

Again.....who cares. It's a 17 year old kid playing football somewhere in high school. Why are people creating such a big deal out of this??

oll and I'm disloyal when I send

This quote sounds like the lyrics from a bad song, but the greeting card philosophy behind this post is hilarious. Loyalty? To a bureaucratic entity like a public school district? That should trump the opportunity to improve as a student or musician or actor or singer or athlete? That is some pretty high-level thinking there skippy.

So, if you live in a public school district it's disloyal to go to a private school when the opportunity presents itself? So all those kids attending Roman Catholic schools in Polk County are disloyal to Des Moines, West Des Moines, Johnston, Waukee, etc.? You guys still get our tax money, isn't that all you want anyway? You use our money to build new high schools that look like junior colleges and pay for a bloated payroll that dwarfs the resources at my private school and its disloyal for me to walk away from all that and pay tuition for my kids to go elsewhere? You're going to have to connect the dots for me because that makes no sense at all.

Reactions: paxregis
Again.....who cares. It's a 17 year old kid playing football somewhere in high school. Why are people creating such a big deal out of this??

Apparently you care. Or you wouldn't be here trying to convince us not to. It's a 4A message board. One of the top recruits in the state just transferred to a program that is already one of the top in the state, region, and arguably a top 30 in the country. What else do you expect people to discuss on a 4A high school football forum in the offseason? Don't be obtuse.

oll and I'm disloyal when I send
This quote sounds like the lyrics from a bad song, but the greeting card philosophy behind this post is hilarious. Loyalty? To a bureaucratic entity like a public school district?

To coaches who have put years of time into developing you as an athlete and as a man. To teammates who have spent years beside you on the practice field, in the locker room, and in the weight room. To your peers who have been cheering your successes, living and dying with your failure, who have shed tears when your team loses. To parents who have spent hours putting together treat bags, making team meals, making you feel like you are a part of something. Now you're leaving because you don't think your team will be as good next year and you're going to a team who was already probably going to win the state championship. You really can't see why people have a problem with this and think he's disloyal?

That should trump the opportunity to improve as a student or musician or actor or singer or athlete? That is some pretty high-level thinking there skippy.

If you he would develop any more at Dowling under TW than he would under BZ at SEP in one year, I'm going to guess you've not spent a lot of time in a football program. I'm not affiliated with that program in any way, so don't take this as me shilling for my school. Coach Z is one of the most knowledgeable, hard working coaches in the state. Not that TW and his staff aren't up there, I just don't see how he will "improve as an athlete" any more than he would at SEP.

I'm not sure how you expect anyone to take you seriously when you're talking down to people, by the way.

So, if you live in a public school district it's disloyal to go to a private school when the opportunity presents itself? So all those kids attending Roman Catholic schools in Polk County are disloyal to Des Moines, West Des Moines, Johnston, Waukee, etc.? You guys still get our tax money, isn't that all you want anyway? You use our money to build new high schools that look like junior colleges and pay for a bloated payroll that dwarfs the resources at my private school and its disloyal for me to walk away from all that and pay tuition for my kids to go elsewhere? You're going to have to connect the dots for me because that makes no sense at all.

Spare us your holier-than-thou act about "your" tax money. I've worked in parochial schools and in public schools. The only difference between the staff at the two is that students are not forced to pray in public schools. If you want some of that sweet, sweet taxpayer money, that's fine. But you don't get it for your religion. As a taxpayer, I won't be subsidizing your prayer.

If you really can't understand how people see it as disloyal for a kid who's been at a school all of his high school and middle school years to leave for Dowling before his senior year, than you're either not bright enough to understand this and we're wasting our time trying to explain to you, or (more likely) you get it but are trying to sway opinion in favor of your school (and acting like a jerk nonetheless).

Reactions: BEd51 and Reasoned
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT