ADVERTISEMENT

So what state team has the biggest gripe about their seedings?

I think a lot of them would have preferred the previous W-L ranking.
Mt Pleasant, SC East?

I think a lot of them would have preferred the previous W-L ranking.
Mt Pleasant, SC East?

I think grandview should've been the 1 seed. They "took care of business" against the bad teams and won by an average of 50 on the season. :D

Reactions: mylameusername
It's a sham and absolute travesty that a 17-8 Boyden Hull team isn't top seed in 2A, 3A and 4A. Idgit coaches must not have seen how competitive BH was in their 8 losses. Without their 8 losses, BH would've been undefeated. Think about that, zero losses minimum. MINIMUM!

:)

th

It's a sham and absolute travesty that a 17-8 Boyden Hull team isn't top seed in 2A, 3A and 4A. Idgit coaches must not have seen how competitive BH was in their 8 losses. Without their 8 losses, BH would've been undefeated. Think about that, zero losses minimum. MINIMUM!

:)

th

Returning sarcasm for sarcasm. I can appreciate that

Reactions: iowalongs230
Atlantic in 3a.
3a seeding should have been like this.
1. WSR
2. Xavier
3. Pella
4. Atlantic
5. Mt. P
6. West Del
7. DCG
8. SBL

Atlantic in 3a.
1. WSR
2. Xavier
3. Pella
4. Atlantic
5. Mt. P
6. West Del
7. DCG
8. SBL

I could see Xavier at 2 instead of Pella, and agree with putting DCG at 7 against them. I know very little about Atlantic, but would have them lower. Could you shed some light on Atlantic / what they bring to the table?

Atlantic in 3a.
1. WSR
2. Xavier
3. Pella
4. Atlantic
5. Mt. P
6. West Del
7. DCG
8. SBL
It looks like the state did Pella a favor this year putting them far away from Xavier. I think Xavier has knocked them out the past 2 years. With WSR, Xavier and MP all in the top bracket, Pella has a decent shot at getting to the title game on Saturday. The top bracket is a lot heavier than the bottom. Atlantic can prove they belong with a win over WSR. That would be huge.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
I'm curious… Have any of you people seen all of these teams play?? And if you haven't , how can any of you sit out here and complain about the seeding and claim that one team is better than the other???? Pella barely gets by Oskaloosa in both games , one of them late in the season , Mount Pleasant destroys Oskaloosa and yet you're trying to say that Pella is better than Mount Pleasant??...I have seen the top six teams play and I think other than Waverly shell rock who I believe is number one , the next five could've been in any order ....as far as the other two teams I have never seen them play so I can't even comment

I'm curious… Have any of you people seen all of these teams play?? And if you haven't , how can any of you sit out here and complain about the seeding and claim that one team is better than the other???? Pella barely gets by Oskaloosa in both games , one of them late in the season , Mount Pleasant destroys Oskaloosa and yet you're trying to say that Pella is better than Mount Pleasant??...I have seen the top six teams play and I think other than Waverly shell rock who I believe is number one , the next five could've been in any order ....as far as the other two teams I have never seen them play so I can't even comment
Not sure what you're reading, but I have heard no complaints about the seeding. I've seen people give slightly different seeding recommendations, but there's been no griping.

And, to answer your question, conference and rivalry games (both of these apply to Pella vs. Osky) are different beasts, and the transitive property is not a good way of determining superiority. You have to look at the entire season.

To use your logic, how can you claim WSR is #1 if you haven't seen all others play?

Not sure what you're reading, but I have heard no complaints about the seeding. I've seen people give slightly different seeding recommendations, but there's been no griping.

And, to answer your question, conference and rivalry games (both of these apply to Pella vs. Osky) are different beasts, and the transitive property is not a good way of determining superiority. You have to look at the entire season.

To use your logic, how can you claim WSR is #1 if you haven't seen all others play?
I was reading about the guy who said Atlantic should be higher .., did you not see his post? ... and the title of this thread,????...,And as far as making Waverley shell rock number one I based on the fact of the top six seedings ,i certainly don't think a 7 or an 8 could be a number 1....The coaches couldn't be that far off.,, and as far as your Pella/Osky comment… I have nothing else to go by but the head-to-head competition and having seen the top six teams play…now having said that… I think anything is possible at the state tournament

Last edited:
4A- Sioux City East, although I think the state got the correct 3 v 6 matchup just flipped, and they avoid West in the semis so it isn't that bad

3A- Atlantic, I do think that they are as high as some want to put them, but I would have put them at 6, Mount Pleasant is hard to move higher with their loss to Xavier early in the season and Waverly with a win over Xavier.

2A- I think that Cascade and Camanche probably do since it will be their 3rd time playing, personally I would move GHV to the 4 or 5 and and Camanche down to the 6 to avoid this. I think that the 2A field is wide open with 6 teams having a realistic chance.

1A- I don't think anyone really has much to gripe about, however it wouldn't surprise me if we find out that the 3 best teams are on the top half.

I saw his post, but it wasn't a complaint or a gripe. At least it didn't read that way to me. It was a different opinion, and it's one that I don't share.

According to BCMoore, Atlantic is #18 in 3A, the lowest ranking of the 3A field. Using BCMoore data only, they would be the #5 seed in the 2A field.

I saw his post, but it wasn't a complaint or a gripe. At least it didn't read that way to me. It was a different opinion, and it's one that I don't share.

According to BCMoore, Atlantic is #18 in 3A, the lowest ranking of the 3A field. Using BCMoore data only, they would be the #5 seed in the 2A field.
Gotcha… Maybe my first post came across a little harsh didn't mean it to

Reactions: HawkPT
It looks like the state did Pella a favor this year putting them far away from Xavier. I think Xavier has knocked them out the past 2 years. With WSR, Xavier and MP all in the top bracket, Pella has a decent shot at getting to the title game on Saturday. The top bracket is a lot heavier than the bottom. Atlantic can prove they belong with a win over WSR. That would be huge.

What ! the state do Pella a favor is the Pope Catholic ? They are given a freebie to state almost every year and then usually get a high seed to boot. The Dutch get SBL in the 1st round LOL and skip over a much more talented Atlantic and even DCG. You think they received a favor ! a freebie into the semis this year.
That negative clown on the the IHSAA show was talking about Pella as if they could beat Golden St. But listening to him call color on a Pella football game why should be be surprised. He loves him some Dutch but he look Polish ????

BCMoore rankings don't really factor in Atlantic's win over #1 Elmwood Murdock from Nebraska. Gave a 7.00

Reactions: Bakers Secret
If Pella Christian and Pella is supposed to be the Pride of the Little Hawkeye, I'm not impressed ...and MP embarrassing Osky at substate ....hmmmm...must not really be that good a conference!

PC and Pella are great teams but not without their weaknesses. Neither are great perimeter shooting teams.

I still believe Pella wins this game. I've seen it too many times to doubt them.

PC and Pella are great teams but not without their weaknesses. Neither are great perimeter shooting teams.

I still believe Pella wins this game. I've seen it too many times to doubt them.
Maybe but from what I've seen they are not the 3rd best team in the 3A field

How much have you seen?
Enough to judge talent ...Van Wyk is really good but not much else there...not enough talent to be #3 seed....

Don't get me wrong ...they're a nice team but not top 3 or even top 5...Boom game over ...see ya...OVER RATED

Last edited:
What ! the state do Pella a favor is the Pope Catholic ? They are given a freebie to state almost every year and then usually get a high seed to boot. The Dutch get SBL in the 1st round LOL and skip over a much more talented Atlantic and even DCG. You think they received a favor ! a freebie into the semis this year.
That negative clown on the the IHSAA show was talking about Pella as if they could beat Golden St. But listening to him call color on a Pella football game why should be be surprised. He loves him some Dutch but he look Polish ????
You called it! I've heard all year how over rated they are !...

I give SB-L credit. They withstood a flurry of punches and did what nearly no teams have been able to do to Pella over the past couple of years.

The fact that you are cheering for any team to lose says a lot about you. I don't believe winning 22 games in a season is considered "overrated". They didn't play well tonight, didn't shoot well, and definitely didn't defend the perimeter as well as they could have. But Van Wyk and Holterhaus have had some pretty good careers. Kudos to them and the whole Pella squad on ANOTHER state run.

The fact that you are cheering for any team to lose says a lot about you. I don't believe winning 22 games in a season is considered "overrated". They didn't play well tonight, didn't shoot well, and definitely didn't defend the perimeter as well as they could have. But Van Wyk and Holterhaus have had some pretty good careers. Kudos to them and the whole Pella squad on ANOTHER state run.
really!?..must be a Dutch whiner...can't take a little ribbing.??...I actually was hoping they could make it to Saturday... I'm just having some fun...enjoy your drive back to Pella

Last edited:

I missed the part where anyone said they were "cheering for a team to lose."

I give SB-L credit. They withstood a flurry of punches and did what nearly no teams have been able to do to Pella over the past couple of years.
They did deserve that win. I however believe that if that same exact team had Heelan on their jerseys, they would have been seeded higher then #6. It was a team that few across the 3A landscape were familiar with.

#40 sure played a great game. Those three senior starters for SBL play tough, physical bball. Looking at their schedule they lost alot of close games to tough teams but survived a two point win in substate vs Heelan.

They did deserve that win. I however believe that if that same exact team had Heelan on their jerseys, they would have been seeded higher then #6. It was a team that few across the 3A landscape were familiar with.
Luke, I had heard the same thing from my friends in Sioux City...

Luke, I had heard the same thing from my friends in Sioux City...
Heelan only had five losses. SBL had nine. Of course, Heelan would have gotten a higher seed. Hello.
If 3a could do it all over again and I think Bulldoggie had it like this.
1. WSR
2. Xavier
3. West Del
4. Mt P
5. SBL
6. Atlantic
7. Pella
8. DCG

Heelan only had five losses. SBL had nine. Of course, Heelan would have gotten a higher seed. Hello.
If 3a could do it all over again and I think Bulldoggie had it like this.
1. WSR
2. Xavier
3. West Del
4. Mt P
5. SBL
6. Atlantic
7. Pella
8. DCG
I was saying if records were the same, the tradition that Heelan has at state would have helped in a major way. That is why I think W-SR got the #1 seed nod over West Delaware.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT