ADVERTISEMENT

So....2021?

Some good games tonight:

#4 Beckman at #2 Solon tonight at 5:30. KCRG will be airing the game on their 9.2 channel.
#5 Iowa City West at #12 Muscatine
#2 CR Prairie at #3 WDM Valley.
#7 Marshalltown at #1 Waukee

Regina had no problem with Solon today. looking in mid season form with a 7-1 win today.

interesting 3A matchups at the west tournament today

Regina almost scored 10 seconds into the game, hitting the post. Was a sign of things to come as Regina rolled to a statement 7-1 win over #2 Solon.
It was 5-0 at the half. 7-0 early in the second and the Regals had their foot off the gas the rest of the way.

Reactions: rc1963
Wow, did Waukee just wrap up the de facto state championship?

4 matches in 2 days, 4 wins, out scoring opponents 24-1. Over marshalltown, Waterloo east, cf and pv. East is the only one to hang a goal on them in 9 games. 59-1 goal diff.

Thought the same thing when I saw that 5-0 win over a very good Pleasant Valley team.
I will be shocked if Waukee isn’t the 3A Champion this year. And, makes it look fairly easy while doing it.

Thought the same thing when I saw that 5-0 win over a very good Pleasant Valley team.
I will be shocked if Waukee isn’t the 3A Champion this year. And, makes it look fairly easy while doing it.
I guess the only thing would be if someone catches them off guard in the tournament.

I'm not sure of the status of the new school in Waukee. I think it opens in the fall. It'll be interesting to see if they can split the student body and still dominate (Like Ankeny and Centennial have done in football).

I see Solon got a redemption win back against Benton. But Benton looks to drop out of the 2A rankings. A Big Fort Madison win and a Fairfield loss last night could shake things up next week (too late to impact this week's rankings)

Out in the west, Western Christian improved to 5-0 last night with a 2-0 over Spirit Lake. No real big name matchups on their schedule, so their strength won't really be tested until substate time.

Tonight - #8 Pella v (RV) Newton looks interesting, an opportunity for Newton to prove they should be in the reankings

Xavier at Wash is interesting cross class and cross town.

CCA vs CPU - winner should be in the rankings, loser drops out.

Regina at Columbus - Always interesting top 10 (5?) matchup

Reactions: Pinehawk
Wow, did Waukee just wrap up the de facto state championship?

4 matches in 2 days, 4 wins, out scoring opponents 24-1. Over marshalltown, Waterloo east, cf and pv. East is the only one to hang a goal on them in 9 games. 59-1 goal diff.
At this point, they’re massive favorites. Those are some very impressive Ws.

Just happy Jefferson dominated a 3-3 IC Liberty squad, 3-0 down in North Liberty. We’ll see how much improved they really are vs Wash.

At this point, they’re massive favorites. Those are some very impressive Ws.

Just happy Jefferson dominated a 3-3 IC Liberty squad, 3-0 down in North Liberty. We’ll see how much improved they really are vs Wash.
Look forward to that one tomorrow. Last night should have been a big confidence builder for them. Liberty isn't exactly a powerhouse, but certainly a mid table challenge. It's Jeff's to prove at this point. It'll be good to see that challenge and how they've grown. The good thing about soccer is the season starts over at Substate time.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Couple of observations from Last Night:

Denison-Schleswig (3-1) with a 1-0 win over St Alberts - Is that a comment of D-S standing? or that St Albert is overrated at #7? I imagine they will at least get votes next week. Some high quality wins there and the one loss was to 3A SC West, 1-0

Benton seems to be holding onto a spot in the rankings with a 3-2 win over a South Tama that doesn't look as strong as 2019.

CCA with a 1-0 win over CPU - thought that one would go the other way. CCA needed this win to stay in the rankings

Marion with the 2-1 Win over Beckman - Yes, this was a 2A vs 1A battle, but Beckman was looking on fire coming into this. So, quality loss for Beckman, but one I think they were really looking to make a statement with.

2A battle #7 ADM took #5 Nevada 2-1 - Swap places in the rankings next week?

West Branch's 7-1 win over Marquette Catholic - Not a huge win, but a good win. I could have seen this one being relatively close. The margin of victory points to WB's ability to [ut balls in the net - Could they be a substate spoiler?

Columbus with the 2-1 win over Regina keeps things really interesting in 1A. From Varsity Bound, it looks like it took this one 2 Extra time periods for Columbus to get the home win. This is another indicator that May 1 is going to be a fun day to watch in Davenport.

That's a good recap. It was a great game and could have gone either way.

But, some key issues to consider was Regina was without two starters.
And, the game was played with just two referees. And, for a game with two teams of this quality, that was a real problem.
The ref missed an obvious hand ball in the box that would have given Regina a PK in the 2nd half.
And, the Regina starting goalkeeper was knocked out of the game on a reckless challenge (which the ref didn't even call a foul) and was unable to return.
So, the backup keeper played the OT periods and PK shootout.

But, Columbus is a very good team. I can easily see them being a factor deep into the postseason.

Looks like prairie at Xavier is the big match tonight. Any predictions?
Wow, Prairie with the 3-0 win. I really thought it would be a closer game. I thought Xavier could run with any of the 3A big boys.

Couple more mercy win games last night - otherwise things look like they went according to script

City v West tonight - West has it on paper but rivalry games are always fun.

@Pinehawk - Does Regina look to be at full strength tonight to take on Mount Pleasant?

Looks like tournaments this weekend at SC North, CR Kennedy, and in Boone

Would have liked to watch that City vs West game. It is always a great game with a big crowd (although maybe not this year). I think I agree I think West takes it, but wouldn't be surprised if City pulled it out.

Full strength? No. Unfortunately.

Would have liked to watch that City vs West game. It is always a great game with a big crowd (although maybe not this year). I think I agree I think West takes it, but wouldn't be surprised if City pulled it out.

Not full strength vs Mt. Pleasant? Won’t matter.

Look forward to that one tomorrow. Last night should have been a big confidence builder for them. Liberty isn't exactly a powerhouse, but certainly a mid table challenge. It's Jeff's to prove at this point. It'll be good to see that challenge and how they've grown. The good thing about soccer is the season starts over at Substate time.
Jefferson beat Washington, 1-0, seconds into OT and the boy got his first goal. It was a big one.

Reactions: rc1963 and Pinehawk

Looks like Regina won 6-0.
West was up 2-0 first half. Ryan Murken was tweeting updates.

wish more people would tweet scores like football does. #iahssoc

Mepo beats Central Lee 3-0. Could have been a lot worse, lots of missed opportunities. Moved to 5-3 on the season. Mepo is in their 6th or 7th season, most wins is 7, never had a winning record. Probably the second best team in the conference.m, obviously behind Notre Dame.

Looks possible to win quite a few more. Looking forward to seeing them keep improving.

Mepo beats Central Lee 3-0. Could have been a lot worse, lots of missed opportunities. Moved to 5-3 on the season. Mepo is in their 6th or 7th season, most wins is 7, never had a winning record. Probably the second best team in the conference.m, obviously behind Notre Dame.

Looks possible to win quite a few more. Looking forward to seeing them keep improving.
Looking at the remaining schedule, several more wins look quite possible. An interesting matchup will be at Hillcrest. A team that is perennially in the mix for state, that has the look of a matchup of team with a legacy and a looking to build. That's what I like to see in 1A, the mid table teams working to get better, fewer bookends (dominant teams and perennial doormats being mercy ruled out.) That kind of growth is healthy for the sport in our state. It shows that anyone can grow into success, and hopefully that's fun for the players.

Soccer is also interesting in the fact that it rewards building through the season rather than padding the stats for success. Everyone gets into substates - everyone has a chance to show what they've become and to potentially avenge earlier season losses. The only benefit of regular season wins (beyond confidence and pride) is seedings. At the end of the day you have to beat someone to advance, but everyone has that chance.

Columbus community was ranked #13 this week and fell to #7 Mid Prairie 6-2, and then to #2 Burlington Notre Dame 10-0. BND has really been rolling lately, putting up some impressive numbers. 5 straight shutouts and scoring at least 7 goals in each game.

#4 West Liberty with a big 10-0 win over #16 Cascade.
#9 Greene County falls 5-1 to unranked Winterset(4-5), not sure what to make of that.

Postville sitting at #6 now with a first place vote. Comparing scores isn't always the best, but I see they beat Belmond-Klemme 1-0, and then Waterloo Columbus just beat Belmond 10-0.
Postville beats Marquette 2-1, while West Liberty beats them 7-0.

Columbus Community shouldn’t be ranked or Mediapolis should be ranked and higher. Probably only a result of their 5-1 record after week 3. The teams they have beaten are a combined 5-26. Their lone loss was to Mediapolis who also played BND and Mid-Prairie closer. They also play West Liberty Thursday night. There’s a drop off after the top few teams then even more after the next few teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: rc1963 and Pinehawk
I would agree @MepoDawg# . The only consolation for Mepo is to keep the trend going and they should be rewarded in the rankings. At the end of the day, it's going to be substate that sorts this out. But it's a shot in the arm for any program to make the actual ranked list, so I hope they get it soon. Certainly Cascade making the list in their maiden year must be big for them. I think it's always challenging for the committee to balance record vs strength of schedule.

As Varsity bound matures, I'd suggest the committee at least look at their ELO rankings in their voting. It's not perfect and nobody wants to reduce ranking to a computer model, but as a voter, I'd take some of that information, especially as the season matures and more, head-to-heads, games vs +.500's etc. fill in, into consideration as I vote. Their Power Rankings put Mepo at number 11 and Columbus Comm at 23.
Of course it puts Mid Prairie at number 1 and Western Christian at number 2, Riverside number 3 before getting to the top 5 schools. So, again computer rankings can't tell the whole story.

This weekend's Catholic Schools Tournament will pit Regina, Columbus Catholic, BND, Beckman and St Alberts against each other (and throw 2A Assumption in the mix). I believe the Columbus and Regina rematch is a game 1 bout. Anybody going (@Pinehawk ) ? It'd be nice to get some updates through the day ;-) I'll also be watching the #iahssocc hashtag on Twitter.

I would agree @MepoDawg# . The only consolation for Mepo is to keep the trend going and they should be rewarded in the rankings. At the end of the day, it's going to be substate that sorts this out. But it's a shot in the arm for any program to make the actual ranked list, so I hope they get it soon. Certainly Cascade making the list in their maiden year must be big for them. I think it's always challenging for the committee to balance record vs strength of schedule.

As Varsity bound matures, I'd suggest the committee at least look at their ELO rankings in their voting. It's not perfect and nobody wants to reduce ranking to a computer model, but as a voter, I'd take some of that information, especially as the season matures and more, head-to-heads, games vs +.500's etc. fill in, into consideration as I vote. Their Power Rankings put Mepo at number 11 and Columbus Comm at 23.
Of course it puts Mid Prairie at number 1 and Western Christian at number 2, Riverside number 3 before getting to the top 5 schools. So, again computer rankings can't tell the whole story.

This weekend's Catholic Schools Tournament will pit Regina, Columbus Catholic, BND, Beckman and St Alberts against each other (and throw 2A Assumption in the mix). I believe the Columbus and Regina rematch is a game 1 bout. Anybody going (@Pinehawk ) ? It'd be nice to get some updates through the day ;-) I'll also be watching the #iahssocc hashtag on Twitter.
Yeah, don’t want to complain too much as it is a subjective ranking, but like you said it’s a shot in the arm to see the fruits of your hard work paying off and being recognized by other coaches. In the end the actual game results matter.

Some interesting scores from last night:
Davenport Central defeats Muscatine 3-1
Denver beats Postville 4-0; Denver with wins over Columbus and now Postville. How good are they?
North Scott takes down 3A #2 Pleasant Valley 1-0 in a surprise result
West Liberty blanks Columbus 10-0

Some interesting scores from last night:
Davenport Central defeats Muscatine 3-1
Denver beats Postville 4-0; Denver with wins over Columbus and now Postville. How good are they?
North Scott takes down 3A #2 Pleasant Valley 1-0 in a surprise result
West Liberty blanks Columbus 10-0
I saw that Denver win, impressive margin. Are they good or was postville really overrated?

i did not notice north Scott over PV. That’s huge.

and west liberty mercy ruling Columbus is as expected. As mepodawg says, they’re really not good and when the comet’s taste blood, it’sa feeding frenzy.

you going to Davenport tomorrow?

I saw that Denver win, impressive margin. Are they good or was postville really overrated?

i did not notice north Scott over PV. That’s huge.

and west liberty mercy ruling Columbus is as expected. As mepodawg says, they’re really not good and when the comet’s taste blood, it’sa feeding frenzy.

you going to Davenport tomorrow?
I wish I could, but we play at Washington. I know you weren’t asking me, but it would be some good games. Mepo did best Hillcrest Thursday night 1-0, missed plenty of other opportunities. Need to fix that if we want to beat some good teams.

Beckman 1, Columbus 0 (5th/6th place game)
Regina 4, St Albert 0 (3rd/4th place game)

Last edited:
3 losses on the day for Columbus, although close. Beckman looking strong.

St Albert’s played true to historical form. Shine in an early March and weaken through the day. Do they not have much for bench strength? That could be yelling at tournament time.

so, the eastern substates are once again looking formidable.

Tournament final: BND over Assumption 2-0.

Long, hot, windy day.
Some notes:
Regals beat Columbus with just 10 men after a couple of shockingly bad yellow cards (failure to give 10 yards in time, and then ‘unsporting’ for yelling while the ball was in the air). But, were then without one of their best midfielders for the rest of the tournament.
BND vs Columbus was a good, tight game. BND largely controlled possession.
BND is legit. They hadn’t really played anyone, but they have now and passed the test.
Regals were clearly missing their midfielder, and are still without their starting keeper, injured in the first Regina/Columbus game.
St. Albert were missing some players in their final game I heard, due to prom.
Every team at this tournament was tough. These were some very good and pretty even teams. I think most any of them could beat each other on any given day.

Tournament final: BND over Assumption 2-0.

Long, hot, windy day.
Some notes:
Regals beat Columbus with just 10 men after a couple of shockingly bad yellow cards (failure to give 10 yards in time, and then ‘unsporting’ for yelling while the ball was in the air). But, were then without one of their best midfielders for the rest of the tournament.
BND vs Columbus was a good, tight game. BND largely controlled possession.
BND is legit. They hadn’t really played anyone, but they have now and passed the test.
Regals were clearly missing their midfielder, and are still without their starting keeper, injured in the first Regina/Columbus game.
St. Albert were missing some players in their final game I heard, due to prom.
Every team at this tournament was tough. These were some very good and pretty even teams. I think most any of them could beat each other on any given day.
Wow, thanks for the color.

Hoping the keeper is well soon.

it’ll be interesting to see who has to matchup before state.

in other news, West Branch made a good showing against West Liberty, losing 2-1 and City pulls off the 2-0 win against Bettendorf.

Valley have Waukee its toughest challenge yet, but still a commanding win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT