ADVERTISEMENT

Should there be one combined FB team in Sioux City?

He makes some great points. I always feel bad seeing the scores come in from Sioux City’s teams. The talent does appear to be spread thin among the teams. I’m wondering if being late to the game with junior high ball has led to the majority of kids being unprepared for the 4A level of play.

Interesting article and worth further discussion. While in agreement that having a competitive HS football team is desirous, how you go about achieving that is what's truly important. If you look only at the 16-17 enrollment information, the three SC schools will all be 4A classified next year (based on 42 schools). If you were to combine them in a co-op situation, they would have over 3000 9-11, which is a rather significant pool of students to pull from, yet no guarantee of competitive success. This comes from coaching and school wide buy-in to FB program.

Reactions: paxregis
send all the football players to Heelan - problem solved

^^^ lol ^^^ genuinely laughed at that, clever. If they chose to combine, that would probably happen in bigger numbers than it currently does to be honest.

In reality though, this would make it much worse. It's the same theory as small schools combining for athletics... the mileage is different (not even that different honestly 9mi between West/East and 11mi between North/East), but the time to travel is much worse. It can take 20-30 minutes to get from North or West to East (or vise versa) depending on lights and traffic. Throw in freshmen athletes that can't drive and you'll lose numbers in bunches. You're talking about adding 40-60 minutes of daily drive time for a time-consuming sport that is already suffering from declining numbers statewide, not just in Sioux City. Bad situation.

There are plenty of counter examples of teams "turning it around" or at least beginning to show they are turning it around. Similar demographics to the Sioux City schools too. Sports, for the most part, are cyclical. There are systems installed and inherent advantages at various high schools where their drop off is not as significant between cycles, but there are still down years. Council Bluffs AL had a good run during the Ebertowski years, Council Bluffs TJ has made big strides with their Pulaski Academy approach the last few years. Des Moines Roosevelt was much improved this year. Realistically no team (combined or not) will run down the top 6 4A schools in the west any time soon.

In other sports, in Sioux City, West girls basketball was once THE worst program in 4A/5A not that long ago. One good hire later and they have played to go to state like 4 of the last 5 years after only a year or two of rebuilding. They got demolished a couple of those years in the final, but they also got paired with the #1 team and they had such a HUGE gap to make-up that any team from any part of the state would've gotten thumped just as bad.

Just my thoughts on it. I think West has a chance to be much improved over the long run. Their new coach brought them a long way in just one year. I'm not saying Dome bound anytime soon, but between 3-6 to 5-4 winning a game here and there they wouldn't normally have won in the previous decade(s) is a possibility.

I think East will struggle tremendously for a year or two regardless of who they hire, but they have a few good classes in a row as 7th, 8th & 9th graders this year. The right hire will have them ready to go by the time they are upper classmen. 6-3 to 8-2/9-2 in the right district for the 20-21 rotations could be a possibility.

North is just really in a "down" cycle right now. I have no idea what they have coming up, I just know they didn't play an actual freshman schedule this year, so it could potentially be a while before things come back around for them.

Regardless, a "Metro" team will not fix Sioux City Football. In my opinion, it would make it worse.

Reactions: bradk6
I don't see Sioux City combining for a metro team anytime soon, but I can envision a time when one school has to forego the season due to lack of players and anyone that wants to play would be free to play with one of the other two schools. As mentioned above there are years where there isn't enough for a freshmen team.

Reactions: Hawkfreak2k15
This idea was tossed around in Waterloo a little while back. Kind of a shame. The point of high schools sports is not defined by the one team that wins the title. High school sports are an opportunity for as many kids as possible to learn from. Combining the teams will no doubt cut numbers.

I think it's a great idea IMO. If you look at the SC population, it has dramatically changed throughout the last 10 years and it's going to keep changing. The Sioux City football schools are bad, no wait, they are TERRIBLE. If you think West is going to get more than 3 wins in a year, you are absolutely crazy. They are losing kids to suburbs like Dakota Valley and SBL (who continues to pound Heelan every year), which now have very good sports programs. If you think combining these three schools would be unfair, then you haven't watched SC football. These three combined schools would still get beat by Waukee, Valley, Dowling, etc. It would at least make the games more competitive. Now that the playoffs have gone back to 16 teams, I don't see any three public schools making the playoffs in the near future. North High had 9 kids out for the freshmen team! 9 kids.... they couldn't field a team. Something needs to change. They might not have a football team in 10 years. Idk. If I have a son that could possibly have a future in football, he won't be going to any of these three schools. I don't think that this will happen, but it's nice to see a former parent step up and voice his opinion. He has a great point.

I don't see Sioux City combining for a metro team anytime soon, but I can envision a time when one school has to forego the season due to lack of players and anyone that wants to play would be free to play with one of the other two schools. As mentioned above there are years where there isn't enough for a freshmen team.
You're spot on.

If you think combining these three schools would be unfair, then you haven't watched SC football. These three combined schools would still get beat by Waukee, Valley, Dowling, etc. It would at least make the games more competitive.

I agree they'd probably still get beat. I agree that it'd be more competitive for possibly a year or two. I don't believe it would remain that way. Again, I think numbers would actually go down within 2-3 years if they did this. Logistically a nightmare. And believe it or not (I'm guessing NOT based on your comment about "not sending my kids to these schools") some kids at each building still take pride in playing for ONE of these 3 schools, so combining them would alienate those student-athletes, many of whom are probably some of the better players who prefer other sports but go out for friendship/school pride.

Des Moines Hoover and Des MOines North need to merge too but i have thought with all the forfeits and with almost 400 school districts why not have a centralized school in the county and if they go over 3000 students build another one it would boost school moral and get kids out for extra curricular activities because with technology now theres more stuff for kids to do more kids playing football more kids in band more kids in the student sections more parents out get the computer clubs to do a light show more cheerleaders more dance teams more fun and excitement for the entire family unit to bond on a friday and or saturday night

Des Moines Hoover and Des MOines North need to merge too but i have thought with all the forfeits and with almost 400 school districts why not have a centralized school in the county and if they go over 3000 students build another one it would boost school moral and get kids out for extra curricular activities because with technology now theres more stuff for kids to do more kids playing football more kids in band more kids in the student sections more parents out get the computer clubs to do a light show more cheerleaders more dance teams more fun and excitement for the entire family unit to bond on a friday and or saturday night

Huh?

After looking at all the S.C. All State players that was released yesterday by the INA why would the SC Teams merge? We would become the new Dowling.
SEE INA teams in the SC Journal

NO. Let the Sioux City teams play who they want. SC North was close to the worst team in the west last year. They finished 0-9. They played one close game, against West in the beginning of the year. There schedule should look like this

LeMars
South Sioux City
Storm Lake
Des Moines North
CB TJ
CB AL
Lewis Central
SC West
SC East

There's no reason to force this team to play Des Moines Valley or whoever.

Reactions: bradk6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT