ADVERTISEMENT

Mason City exploring conference change

Interesting. I have a few general comments on this:

1) Their most glaring issue is in Football and this would have no impact on them

2) They have been very competitive in Wrestling, Girls BB, and some other sports in the CIML. Obviously not perennial contenders but competitive in my eyes.

3) If I am the NEIC (Oelwein and New Hampton in particular) there is no way I want them.

4) IF this goes through, what does this do to teams like Fort Dodge? Them and MC seem to be outliers no matter what conference they would be in.

What really needs to happen is get Mason City, Waverly, Cedar Falls, Waterloo East and West, Fort Dodge, Marshalltown, and Ames to form a Big 8 conference. In all honesty WSR has outgrown the NEIC, if they left the conference could probably pick up North Fayette Valley and Osage.

PNation. I agree with that move. Not sure if CF and Ames would be interested, but the rest makes sense. Waverly doesn't have to play football against them with district football in place. WSR would be very competitive in all other sports. Ames is an interesting piece of the puzzle. If the CIML can grow and put together an entire schedule without leaving the metro, would any of the schools want to even drive to Ames?

I also think that Ottumwa would be better off in the Southeast Iowa Conference.

Just looked it up and Ottumwa was in the Southeast Conference until ‘98 when they moved to the CIML. Would be wise for them to try and move back, even geographically speaking.

Noticed last week that Oelwein has started to process to leave the NEIC for NICL.

Will Oelwein get to vote on Mason City joining the NEIC?

One of Mason City's selling point to the NEIC is that they at the time had an odd number and with adding them it would be an even number to make scheduling easier.

Before the Oelwein news i saw the vote going this way which is just my opinion, I have NO insider info.

YES - Waverly-Shell Rock & Charles City
NO - Oelwein, Waukon, Cresco

Decorah and New Hampton i could see going either way.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple months but it looks like changes are coming to the old NEIC.

Scheduling is hard whether it is 6 or 7 teams. With only 6 teams that means on 10 conference games for basketball which means finding 11 non conference games which isn't easy in northeast Iowa were there are so many small schools, and there are so many schools in mega conferences where they only get 3 non conference games.

Just noticed this today.........

School superintendents representing schools which are members of the Northeast Iowa Conference have voted to not approve the application for membership from Mason City Community Schools.

The motion to not approve the application was made by Howard-Winneshiek Community School District Superintendent Ted Ihns and then seconded by Allamakee Community School District Superintendent Jay Mathis. The vote to not approve the application was unanimous.

Even with this decision finalized, there are still many things for the NEIC superintendents and activities directors to be thinking about. It appears certain that Oelwein will be leaving the conference beginning in the 2021-2022 school year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT