ADVERTISEMENT

Should everyone get into the playoffs?

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Should the BB playoffs have everyone getting in or should only a certain amount of teams in each class make the cut?

Everyone. Football is the only sport where you can't because you can't schedule many consecutive games, but anymore with more than half getting in, I could see where everyone makes it. Everyone just makes it better, and really makes every game a lose or go home. It adds excitement. Making a push through the playoffs can propel a team into next season, but a push wouldn't be as satisfying without as many games. Plus, well, $$$$$$

People who would benefit from this would be teams who play a light schedule. This would happen especially in 3A because of the conference play, where you might play different classes. Teams in 3A that play 2A schools because they are in one another's conference would have a theoretically easier schedule. 3A teams that are in the North Central, Heart of Iowa, Lakes, North Iowa Cedar, South Central, and Siouxland Conferences would theoretically have an "easier" schedule because at least half of the teams in those conferences are 2A compared to those who are in the Missouri River, WaMaC, Mississippi Athletic, and Mississippi Valley conferences where the vast majority are in 4A.

This post was edited on 2/17 4:58 PM by AlecJensen89

Why are we trying to fix a something that isn't broke? The change I would like to see, is going to higher seeds having home games at least through district semifinals. I don't like it that there have to be 4 teams at each site and a high seed with a small gym has to play a game on the home floor of a lower seeded team.

Kind of a silly question. Why would anything need to be changed? The teams get cut down pretty quickly. What would be the point of changing a system that isn't broken?

How would you even go about determining who "gets in" and who gets left out if you don't include every team in basketball?

If they can do it for football, they can do it for basketball. Shouldn't be any tougher, or any different.
If basketball only allowed half the teams into the playoffs (like football), Would that mean St Ed, with a losing record wouldn't make it in? possibly yes, possibly no......just like some teams in the football playoff.
Sidenote: I don't care for that seeding them for games 5 thru 15 business. Seed them from the beginning of the season. where would football be if games for making playoff purposes didnt count until the 5th game of the year?

If there was a cut off for teams who make the playoffs in bball than there will need to be districts set up for each class. So conference play will most likely be eliminated because like I said before some teams play different classes. And who cares if they base it off games 5-15 because everyone makes it in anyways and if you were really meant to go to state you'll beat whoever you're paired up with.

Originally posted by Spook 78:

If they can do it for football, they can do it for basketball. Shouldn't be any tougher, or any different.
If basketball only allowed half the teams into the playoffs (like football), Would that mean St Ed, with a losing record wouldn't make it in? possibly yes, possibly no......just like some teams in the football playoff.
Sidenote: I don't care for that seeding them for games 5 thru 15 business. Seed them from the beginning of the season. where would football be if games for making playoff purposes didnt count until the 5th game of the year?
The post below yours is what I was expecting to see. Yeah, obviously it'd be like football, which would mean districts instead of conferences.

I'm sure the State would be up for that just so they can find a way to cut down on the number of teams in the postseason.

Unless you'd care to actually explain a better way. Have a selection committee or establish a points system like 4A did in football and only the top 32 in points make the cut?

Then scheduling issues would really come into focus without districts........

But then again we're talking about first breaking something that doesn't need to be broken, as others have mentioned.

Everybody in. End of discussion.

If you want to talk about how to fix the pairings, that's a whole different story.

Everyone should make it. The only other way I think would be to make it like football. Put all classes in districts like football and only take the top 4 from each district. This would create a lot of extra travel for teams, Algona would have to travel to Spirit Lake, MOC, Spencer, etc. on a school night, not good. A lot of people think it is unfair how the districts get set up, not sure why. How many times does anyone really think that the best 4 college teams made it to the Final 4? The best NBA teams almost always play in the finals, but they play best 5 or 7 series.

i have no problem letting all the teams compete. in fact its my preference. but in all fairness, then ALL teams in football should be allowed as well. so any of the lovers out there of only allowing the top half of football teams to make the playoffs, yet want all the basketball teams to move on, I have a word to use. hypocrite.
now theres two possible solutions, and sure they may have to be tweaked. 1st, if you like the way district football is run, then run district basketball as well and only invite 1/2 the teams to make the playoffs. or 2nd, if you like all teams to play basketball playoffs, then allow it in football as well by eliminating 1 non district game on everybodys schedule, complete district play by the end of week 8 , seed them them and everyone plays a 9th game as the first game of the playoffs. no extra games added, takes the same amount of time on the calender, and everyone competes.....just like basketball.

i have no problem letting all the teams compete. in fact its my preference. but in all fairness, then ALL teams in football should be allowed as well. so any of the lovers out there of only allowing the top half of football teams to make the playoffs, yet want all the basketball teams to move on, I have a word to use. hypocrite.
now theres two possible solutions, and sure they may have to be tweaked. 1st, if you like the way district football is run, then run district basketball as well and only invite 1/2 the teams to make the playoffs. or 2nd, if you like all teams to play basketball playoffs, then allow it in football as well by eliminating 1 non district game on everybodys schedule, complete district play by the end of week 8 , seed them them and everyone plays a 9th game as the first game of the playoffs. no extra games added, takes the same amount of time on the calender, and everyone competes.....just like basketball.
Football is different in the regard to the impact on the body. Very few collisions occur in basketball. It's not hypocritical, it's thinking it through. It does no good to schedule an 0-9 vs. 9-0 first round football game. Basketball you aren't likely to get an upset either, but there is far less risk of a team being physically out matched and getting hurt. I'd be open to pairing non-playoff football teams though for an extra game against similar competition for an extra game.

not adding any greater number of games, still 9, hence no more contact. and that bottom team in a district will have already faced a district champ at one time for the year, so for them to face a quality team again is nothing new. in fact it should be motivation for 2 things to happen, be a david and knock off a goliath, or get some motivation and get a better record during distict play so you don't have to face that top seed.

not adding any greater number of games, still 9, hence no more contact. and that bottom team in a district will have already faced a district champ at one time for the year, so for them to face a quality team again is nothing new. in fact it should be motivation for 2 things to happen, be a david and knock off a goliath, or get some motivation and get a better record during distict play so you don't have to face that top seed.
Unless the only chance a team had to win was a non-district game that you took away so they could get pounded by a #1 seed.

1A
Southwest Valley replaces Clarinda Academy with St. Ed's to avoid district rematch.
Wapello replace New London with Regina.
Woodward Academy replace Southeast Warren with IKM.

I'm sure those teams would love to trade their only win for the chance to play a #1 seed in the first round. It would be far more motivating for the chance to finish the season with a win against a team you haven't played yet.

but now you are assuming that that game that is taken away will be their only win. and we know that's only an assumption. In fact there is greater odds that that will not happen than that it will. How so? in 8 player and class A they play 7 district games, only leaving 2 non district games. and since you are talking about 1 win teams.....there is a 50% chance that win would be the game that would be eliminated. however.........1A, 2A and 3A only play 6 district games, hence 3 non district. That 1 win team has a greater odd of it not being in that game that is eliminated. 33.3 %
4A is thrown out as they only play 5 district games. hence add all the other classes together and there is a greater odds (for that poor 1 win team you talk about) that win will not be wiped out by eliminating one of the non district games.

How would you make it work with districts?

I don't have all the answers, as I said there would have to be some tweaking.
probably along the lines of football, however here are a few things to think about. there is no 3-player basketball teams to consider like there are 8 player teams in football, hence there are more local teams to be figured into the districts....hence travel distances wont be quite as severe as in football districts. also, just like in conference play, a schedule would probably have home and aways against each team.
As I said earlier, all teams participating in the playoffs is my personal preference, so I wouldn't be leaning towards top half of district moving on scenerio. I like that old phrase of " to be the best you have to beat the rest". And to be honest, those boys in football cant say that...because they only allowed half of the teams to participate in the play offs.

What would the reasoning behind making cuts and not allowing all teams to participate in the playoffs?

In the long run, I actually think it would take more time, work and money to manage the playoff process of eliminating teams. This would just open the association up for more unneeded criticism when one average team is left out while another average team is allowed to participate.

This post was edited on 2/19 8:47 AM by mtdew_fever

Dew, you can save that post and put it in a thread at football season, because the same logic can be used then as it is now in basketball season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT