ADVERTISEMENT

Shot Clock Used in Iowa for the First Time

Dec 7, 2014
I'm looking for feedback from anyone that was able to attend any of the games at the Wells Fargo Advisors Shootout today in Cedar Rapids. What were the pros and cons of playing with the shot clock? Were end of game scenarios more watchable with teams not having to foul to get the ball back?

The shot clock had an impact right away on Saturday, Team was up 15 going into the fourth quarter and it forced them to continue to play on the offensive side and score the balk instead of going to the 4 corners offense. That team still won, but it was close and competitive for the fourth quarter. Shot clock also rewards great defense, I’m tired of watching teams play solid defense for 45-55 seconds and then they have one little break down because they get frustrated and give up a lay up. No shot clock does nothing for the defense. I saw 3 games Saturday and maybe 2 shot clock violations all game, doesn’t really hurt the offensive side of the ball. I am really interested to hear someone’s argument for not having a shot clock. It seems like a no brainer.

The shot clock had an impact right away on Saturday, Team was up 15 going into the fourth quarter and it forced them to continue to play on the offensive side and score the balk instead of going to the 4 corners offense. That team still won, but it was close and competitive for the fourth quarter. Shot clock also rewards great defense, I’m tired of watching teams play solid defense for 45-55 seconds and then they have one little break down because they get frustrated and give up a lay up. No shot clock does nothing for the defense. I saw 3 games Saturday and maybe 2 shot clock violations all game, doesn’t really hurt the offensive side of the ball. I am really interested to hear someone’s argument for not having a shot clock. It seems like a no brainer.
From a play standpoint, I don't think you'll find people who will disagree with you. I agree, for most of the game you won't notice much difference. I think you would definitely see more teams press and may see a violation or two in most games. End of games would be vastly improved.

From a logistical standpoint, I think you have problems. Now, I could definitely see a scenario where the state uses a shot clock for 4A and maybe 3A in the future as bigger schools probably have the resources and people to make it work. At smaller schools, however, you already have some schools that have trouble finding people to work the clock and book. I have been to many varsity games where high school kids are used in those roles and it usually isn't good.

I heard there were a few issues with the shot clock workers at these first games too, and you're probably talking about more professional people than what many schools would be able to produce. Would it be worth it if the refs have to go over to the table a handful of times each game to correct shot clock issues? Even college and pro games have issues with this from time to time and you're talking about people who do it all the time. Also, what if schools just can't find someone willing to do it? Would you want to have a situation where some of the games have a shot clock, while other games don't? I don't know the right answer...

Mmmm.........ya know, I've given it some thought.

Nope, no shot clock for Iowa. Deal with it, friends, or take your business to one of those states with a shot clock. You're welcome. :)

Nope, no shot clock for Iowa. Deal with it, friends, or take your business to one of those states with a shot clock. You're welcome. :)

Why though? If you would’ve seen any of the games this weekend you would still see very fluid offense and plenty of moving the ball around (not to mention some high scoring games) but it also made teams play the 4th quarter the way it should be played instead of four corner ball.

Why though?(Well, because I'm a contrarian of course....:D) If you would’ve seen any of the games this weekend you would still see very fluid offense and plenty of moving the ball around (not to mention some high scoring games) but it also made teams play the 4th quarter the way it should be played instead of four corner ball.
And who were these teams that played in this Shootout?.........

I would welcome a shot clock. I've seen a couple games recently where the team in the lead just shuts it down for the final minute (even 1:30 in one case) of the half, and end of the game.
Quarters are only 8 minutes. Stalling that long is bad for the game.

I watched the first three games (Albunett/Don Bosco, Kennedy and St.James, and Dowling/Hempstead). All competitive games that had the shot clock come in to play late in the game.
Well thank you, but I wouldn't say the shot clock did anything to change the scoring.

All the scores were in the 50s, except Kennedy, who won 60-58, which is the lowest point total they've had in a win this year.

But yes, the shot clock is necessary to bring back more high-scoring games.........

Oh wait, you guys just want the stall ball element eliminated from the game, that's all?

Meh. Too bad. :cool:

Btw......were there girls games using the shot clock as well?

It's not happening unless both groups get it, and quite frankly the girls side doesn't need it.

Separate unions, but yes the girls used the shot clock a couple weeks ago when they played at Coe for rivalry Saturday.

Separate unions, but yes the girls used the shot clock a couple weeks ago when they played at Coe for rivalry Saturday.
And it didn't make a difference, did it......

Point being, I've seen bad basketball at the 1A, 2A and 3A levels, and a shot clock is the last thing they need to help generate more offense, let alone worrying about the perfection of the Stall Ball tactic.

It would not be widely liked, but where they need a shot clock more than anywhere else is at the state tournament. Teams down there should be able to run their offensive efficiently enough to use a 35 second clock, and it would eliminate a team like Valley holding the ball for an entire overtime period, which I think is the biggest thing.

Reactions: Greenway12

quit being obtuse. The game is simply better with a shot clock. The only drawback is going to be having someone at all these small schools that can run it consistently and be able to set it to different times depending on the situation.

quit being obtuse. The game is simply better with a shot clock. The only drawback is going to be having someone at all these small schools that can run it consistently and be able to set it to different times depending on the situation.

This is the main problem outside of new equipment expenses. People would be messing up the clock quite a bit I'd bet. Inadvertent horns, incorrect resets, etc.

And it didn't make a difference, did it......

Point being, I've seen bad basketball at the 1A, 2A and 3A levels, and a shot clock is the last thing they need to help generate more offense, let alone worrying about the perfection of the Stall Ball tactic.

You didn’t ask if it made a difference on the girls side, you just asked if they have used it and I told you they did. A shot clock is good for the game of basketball, that’s why it’s used in college. Maybe they should take the play clock away from football since nobody knows how to run a clock in Iowa...let’s eliminate the 3 hit rule in volleyball, just hit it on your side as many times as you want until you are ready to spike the ball. The game is changing, time to get with the times.

quit being obtuse.

giphy.gif

The game is simply better with a shot clock. (Lol, no it's not.) The only drawback (Lol come now. There's more than one drawback...... Let's use our critical thinking caps.) is going to be having someone at all these small schools that can run it consistently and be able to set it to different times depending on the situation. (So.....it's a competence thing, and not an availability thing?....)
I feel like you guys are expecting me to let this go..........good luck with that. :)

You didn’t ask if it made a difference on the girls side (And you didn't answer that it did......interesting. :cool:), you just asked if they have used it and I told you they did. (Thanks again! :)) A shot clock is good for the game of basketball (At higher levels, sure....), that’s why it’s used in college. Maybe they should take the play clock away from football since nobody knows how to run a clock in Iowa (Well, don't stop there.....lets get drastic. Let's take away football as a sport,in general, because kids could get hurt, period. :))...let’s eliminate the 3 hit rule in volleyball (if it forces kids to stop playing volleyball so they'll go out for basketball, then I'm all for it...............), just hit it on your side as many times as you want until you are ready to spike the ball. (Admittedly, I don't watch volleyball, so I feel like the rules of the game are somewhat lost on me. But whatever you think will make the sport better, then do what you must.....)The game is changing, time to get with the times. (I don't think a shot clock is going to be high on the list of keys to making our state's athletes any more competitive against out-of-state competition. It's about as useful for making athletes better at the game of basketball as a state-of-the-art 26,000 seat football stadium for a high school in Texas is...........)
source.gif

Reactions: Hawki45
Ha, see.....Pine gets it.

He said "main" problem. Not the only problem. ;)

Yes. But, I also think it would benefit the game overall. However, not in every case. And, there would be problems. Especially at first.
But, that is not a reason for the state to take a closer look at the details, benefits and challenges of a shot clock.

Let me start off by saying I'm indifferent to the shot clock. If we never get it, no big deal. If we get it, no big deal. The idea that the HS game would be "better" isn't supported by any data, however. If people want to argue that kids would have more fun with a clock, I could see that. But, the idea that game play improves is contradicted by the facts. The only data available basically show that with a clock in HS, turnovers increase, shooting percentages decrease, FT attempts don't change, and scoring goes up 2 points a game (9 of the top 10 scoring states are non-shot clock states). There is data from South Dakota that suggests that state-tournament scores DO increase, however, which I definitely could see as tourney pace slows considerably with no clock, especially at the 4A level.

It does eliminate a true "Hold the Ball" strategy, which I've seen exactly twice in 20 years of coaching. I think it will have a negligible effect on strategy or coaching. I have friends in shot clock states and they like it, but they don't think their game is any different from ours. I think if we wanted to eliminate chances to stall, increase scoring (which honestly shouldn't be a factor in my opinion, but some people want it), improve flow, and get more kids playing time, we should do what Minnesota and Wisconsin have done: two, 18-minute halves. Eliminates two quarter breaks and causes coaches to sub more, and causes a pretty major increase in scoring. They also think it allows more "flow" as there are fewer breaks and the game goes quicker time-wise.

So, if Iowa gets the clock? Whatever. Just don't do it for phony, nebulous arguments like "everyone else does it," "the game is better," blah, blah, blah. There's simply no truth to them. And on a side note, football does have a play clock, but it doesn't have a "Throw it to the endzone" clock. Football teams stall by running the ball non-stop and not passing. Basketball does have a 5-second rule; nothing precludes a defender from closely guarding someone (or officials from properly enforcing the count).

If the closely guarded rule was enforced it might help. The rule says 6 ft. However I'm not sure I've ever seen an official call it at that distance. Usually they stand there with their arms spread out until they are within 2-3 feet.

Reactions: Red87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT