ADVERTISEMENT

Seperate playoffs for public and private schools?

Public/Private matters as little as it ever has now, with open enrollment, frequent transfers and the school choice bill.

Disagree
If anything, the gap is wider now since they can freely transfer, making the 1A big town private school that much better.

I think we would all agree that 1A is made up of smaller towns. I'm going to assume the majority of those towns are not anywhere near a private school, let alone one that makes sense transportation wise. All this does is hurt small town schools' chances to compete.

The 'small towns' with recent success are mostly near larger population centers and have been getting big school transfers for years now.
I guess now we've just kicked open the doors and it doesn't really matter anymore.

Reactions: Juice Boy
The 'small towns' with recent success are mostly near larger population centers and have been getting big school transfers for years now.
I guess now we've just kicked open the doors and it doesn't really matter anymore.
Yes. There have been some small schools near larger population centers taking advantage of large school transfers in.

Around Waukee and Council Bluffs come to mind.

Data or citation please?
Article is from 2016, so it's been happening for awhile, they filled up their school with kids from Des Moines. Similar to how West Branch brings in their athletes from the Iowa City area.

“VAN METER, Iowa — As the suburbs continue to grow, neighboring school districts are beginning to see the effects.

That’s one of the biggest draws to the Van Meter School District. Class sizes are in the high teens and low twenties. But some parents are deciding to open-enroll their kids from neighboring districts.
We pick up kids as they go. For example, last year’s graduating class had 32 when they started kindergarten and graduated with 59,” said Durflinger.

Van Meter is seeing the most open enrollment from Waukee schools with 62 students choosing their district. Next is Adel-Desoto-Minburn with 46.

Van Meter is in the process of building four new elementary classrooms to help handle more students in the future but does not have any other plans for expansion."
https://who13.com/news/van-meter-schools-could-curb-open-enrollment/

Last edited:
Reactions: Juice Boy
Article is from 2016, so it's been happening for awhile, they filled up their school with kids from Des Moines. Similar to how West Branch brings in their athletes from the Iowa City area.

“VAN METER, Iowa — As the suburbs continue to grow, neighboring school districts are beginning to see the effects.

That’s one of the biggest draws to the Van Meter School District. Class sizes are in the high teens and low twenties. But some parents are deciding to open-enroll their kids from neighboring districts.
We pick up kids as they go. For example, last year’s graduating class had 32 when they started kindergarten and graduated with 59,” said Durflinger.

Van Meter is seeing the most open enrollment from Waukee schools with 62 students choosing their district. Next is Adel-Desoto-Minburn with 46.

Van Meter is in the process of building four new elementary classrooms to help handle more students in the future but does not have any other plans for expansion."
Is that data or citation? Or both?

interesting, i quess u would get more attention in the class room with smaller class,s , and just not a number. i can see where this is a problem for the school and controlling expenses

Stick to making candles Janet.....
2023 Championship Results - 6 Public School Champions / 1 Private School
2022 Championship Results - 5 Public School Champions / 2 Private School
2021 Championship Results - 7 Public School Champions / 0 Private School

This is not un-proportional. If your local school district isn't performing, perhaps you should look within for what needs changed.

Reactions: NITE HAWK6
Stick to making candles Janet.....
2023 Championship Results - 6 Public School Champions / 1 Private School
2022 Championship Results - 5 Public School Champions / 2 Private School
2021 Championship Results - 7 Public School Champions / 0 Private School

This is not un-proportional. If your local school district isn't performing, perhaps you should look within for what needs changed.
Uh oh, that’s not going to go over well with the
‘It’s not the hard work and coaching it’s the unfair advantages’ crowd

that will probably slow down when Waukee southwest opens in 10 years

Uh oh, that’s not going to go over well with the
‘It’s not the hard work and coaching it’s the unfair advantages’ crowd
How many private schools missed the playoff? honest question its a better indicator than championships if there is any advantage

How many private schools missed the playoff? honest question its a better indicator than championships if there is any advantage
Good question. It is a bit of a change from what used to be the question. I am sure it will go to the ‘but the % that made it’

I'm guessing (I do not know for sure) he is referencing schools like Underwood and Treynor. They may not be getting open enrollments, they could be getting a few, but you are probably getting many affluent families that choose to live in a community like the two mentioned instead of directly in Coucil Bluffs/Omaha. I would also say with Council Bluffs, Lewis Central is much more desirable then Council Bluffs itself.

I'm guessing (I do not know for sure) he is referencing schools like Underwood and Treynor. They may not be getting open enrollments, they could be getting a few, but you are probably getting many affluent families that choose to live in a community like the two mentioned instead of directly in Coucil Bluffs/Omaha. I would also say with Council Bluffs, Lewis Central is much more desirable then Council Bluffs itself.
Right - open enrollments simply are not happening to the smaller schools from CB (for football). I'm sure there's the usual "chatter", that's why I was curious to who he was referring to.

Are there open enrollments out of Council Bluffs to neighboring school district, absolutely. However, my guess is that many of these happen early on in the educational process.

Are there open enrollments out of Council Bluffs to neighboring school district, absolutely. However, my guess is that many of these happen early on in the educational process.
100%. It happens vice versa also. My point was just that the open enrollments are not happening to the smaller districts for football purposes later in the educational process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT