ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinal Matchups

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Post your picks now!

Class 3A
5:30— Epworth, Western Dubuque (9-2) vs. Sergeant Bluff-Luton (10-1)

8:15— Xavier, CR (11-0) vs. Lewis Central (11-0)

Xavier actually does have size advantage on LC, but it's slight. This is a heavyweight fight. Too bad it's the undercard.

and late start, will be 6 pm in phoenix...might get to watch most of it..got to work on thurs at 10 pm...too bad it was not friday..off on that day....should be an interesting game

I love that Xavier and LC are playing. Who cares it's in the semi's. Yes, the states RPI system is flawed and needs some tweaks, but this is the game everyone wants. If they play in the championship or the semi's, either way they would have to play each other and win the game to win a championship. It's coming earlier than expected, that's fine. The players and coaches don't care, they'll play whoever is in front of them. This happens in the NCAA tournament and in the college football playoffs, sometimes the best matchups don't come in the championship game. I think it's great they're playing.

Let's see who is the better team! LC has the #1 offense and #2 defense. Xavier has the #1 defense and #2 offense. Can Xavier slow Duggan? Can LC slow Xavier? This game is about stops. I don't see Xavier stopping Duggan.

It does appear that the 3A championship game will be played at 8:15......in the semifinal round.

To be fair, the old east-west system some years also ended up with the best matchup in the semifinal game instead of the championship. So this isn't anything out of the ordinary - I'm sure the IHSAA hoped the RPI would do a better job of seeding and getting the best two to the final, but it doesn't look like it worked this season (either way you're getting a team with a loss or two in the final against an undefeated team, and possibly a championship rematch of a game that had a continuous clock earlier in the year).

Just looking at stats as I prepare to call the game - Duggan has accounted for over 67% of Lewis Central's offensive yards this season (3151 out of 4673). That's remarkable, and it shows two things: Duggan is an incredible athlete who's pretty much outclassed everyone he's played, and LC's offense runs almost completely through him. So IF (and it is indeed a big if) Xavier's defense is able to contain Duggan at all, they've got an excellent chance.

The offensive stats between the two are fairly close together. Xavier has a 1200-yard rusher; Duggan is just 9 yards shy of 1200. Schulte has completed 65.1% of his passes with 23 TDs and 3 interceptions; Duggan has completed 66.8% for 23 TDs and 2 picks. LC has run for about 270 yards more than Xavier, and passed for about 380 more, so that's a difference of fewer than 60 yards per game. Xavier is giving up only 47 yards per game rushing and 85 passing, so they're allowing over a hundred yards per game less than LC is giving up. LC hasn't allowed more than 14 points in any game, and has scored over 40 ten times. Xavier has given up only 40 points all year (just 15 by the first-team defense) and is averaging 41 points scored themselves.

This should be a really good one.

WD vs Xavier in a rain soaked, slow home field played right into Xavier's hands. It would be much different on a dry, neutral field. I will give Xavier the coin flip over LC and a rematch as a very strong possibility.

To be fair, the old east-west system some years also ended up with the best matchup in the semifinal game instead of the championship. So this isn't anything out of the ordinary - I'm sure the IHSAA hoped the RPI would do a better job of seeding and getting the best two to the final, but it doesn't look like it worked this season (either way you're getting a team with a loss or two in the final against an undefeated team, and possibly a championship rematch of a game that had a continuous clock earlier in the year).

Just looking at stats as I prepare to call the game - Duggan has accounted for over 67% of Lewis Central's offensive yards this season (3151 out of 4673). That's remarkable, and it shows two things: Duggan is an incredible athlete who's pretty much outclassed everyone he's played, and LC's offense runs almost completely through him. So IF (and it is indeed a big if) Xavier's defense is able to contain Duggan at all, they've got an excellent chance.

The offensive stats between the two are fairly close together. Xavier has a 1200-yard rusher; Duggan is just 9 yards shy of 1200. Schulte has completed 65.1% of his passes with 23 TDs and 3 interceptions; Duggan has completed 66.8% for 23 TDs and 2 picks. LC has run for about 270 yards more than Xavier, and passed for about 380 more, so that's a difference of fewer than 60 yards per game. Xavier is giving up only 47 yards per game rushing and 85 passing, so they're allowing over a hundred yards per game less than LC is giving up. LC hasn't allowed more than 14 points in any game, and has scored over 40 ten times. Xavier has given up only 40 points all year (just 15 by the first-team defense) and is averaging 41 points scored themselves.

This should be a really good one.
I also think that this being LC's first game in the dome will have an impact. Xavier is battle tested in here and they have been in very close games in the past here. I think that Duggan has great potential but this will be a first for him and the pressure will be on. Harlan slowed them down in the 3rd quarter and most of second half. Xavier Defense at another level compared to Harlan. Not sure any of the Harlan LBs would even be playing if they attended Xavier. Plus having Schulte run the D from the Safety position gives them some benenfit he neutralizes weaknesses they have in the DBs. I think Xavier wins by 2 scores.

I also think that this being LC's first game in the dome will have an impact. Xavier is battle tested in here and they have been in very close games in the past here. I think that Duggan has great potential but this will be a first for him and the pressure will be on. Harlan slowed them down in the 3rd quarter and most of second half. Xavier Defense at another level compared to Harlan. Not sure any of the Harlan LBs would even be playing if they attended Xavier. Plus having Schulte run the D from the Safety position gives them some benenfit he neutralizes weaknesses they have in the DBs. I think Xavier wins by 2 scores.

I respect your opinion, all valid points. Your reasoning is solid. I just am not sure the east realizes how good LC is, the weapons they have, and Duggan's impact. He is a man amongst boys and can turn any play into special. He plays at a different level than everyone else on the field. I know how good Xavier is, their defense is nasty. All around strong team. Duggan has been purposely restrained all year, especially in second halfs. It appears all the play calling is reserved until they need him to make a play. I have to believe both teams unleash their horses for the entire game. Duggan makes explosive game changing plays, Schulte makes good plays. Let's see if the teams can live up to the hype, I guess we will see on Thursday!

To touch on Kid's numbers, Xavier's and LC's second half numbers are very skewed. Play calling becomes conservative, a lot more run left and right. Touchdowns are limited by good sportsmanship, yards are misleading because of quality field position, etc. Second string defenses come in and sometimes back out and back in - most touchdowns given up by Xavier and LC have been in the 3rd and 4th quarters. So the offensive and defense stats aren't totally reflective. It would be more interesting to compare first half stats only.

Reactions: stickman80
i think WD beats SBL by 3 TD's. WD has done nothing but get stronger since their 0-35 loss to Xavier. Proof of that is their 6-7 loss to North Scott earlier to the 45-21 drubbing they countered with in the second match up.

Good/Great teams all get better as the season progresses and we have nothing but good/great teams left. Not downplaying WD late season play but I think you might be overlooking SBL's late season play.

Earlier in the season they beat Heelan 23-9 and Spencer 24-20. In the playoffs it was 42-0 over Heelan and 27-0 over Spencer which brings up my next point.....SBL has not given up a post season score yet. Especially with the playoffs being reduced in the number of teams plus the RPI in theory raising the quality of those 16 playoff teams I think SBL outscoring their opponents 69-0 is impressive.

FTR I don't expect anything like a shutout from SBL against WD but I do believe WD is going to face a stout defense and I'm picking SBL to face LC in the finals.

Reactions: Iowasportsnut

This might be Duggan's first trip to the dome but it isn't Duggan's first trip to the dome.

(Coach) Duggan will have Max and the rest of his team ready. Doubt there are going to be any shocking surprises in store for LC either in playing at the dome or in what to expect from Xavier.

I'm just hoping this one lives up to all the hype!

I would say absolutely. They( Xavier) play 4A teams and have played at that level and done very, very well. Although LC wasn't really challenged during it's post season run ( like Pella vs Xavier) LC has been pointing to this game with Xavier for months. Healthy respect for sure.

After the game on Thursday and the East dominates as you state, you can challenge the Klingons for interstellar domination.

Calpreps matchups isn't predicting intra state domination. They pick SBL by 2 over WD and Xavier by 1 over LC.

I've had the privilege of watching both Cedar Rapids Xavier and Council Bluffs Lewis Central play this year. Council Bluffs Lewis Central is the better team.

I'm excited for tomorrow! I hope the states ready for tomorrow night. It's going to be a real pleasure to get to see Xavier vs. LC and a treat to witness Duggan.

I'm a fan of football. Much like the Golden State Warriors right now, many will hate, but will look back and truly appreciate the greatness. Just enjoy the fact there is a special player in a great matchup under the dome lights tomorrow night. Enjoy it while you can.

So mad I can’t go see these games. I have no idea but I’ve only seen SBL play. They are very versatile on offense both running and passing. Their QB is very good passer IMO. Plays relaxed and hits his receivers in stride. I don’t know about Western Dubuque but I’d be impressed if they are able to keep SBL under 20.

I know one thing, I stopped in Cedar Rapids to get gas yesterday, people get dressed up there. Council Bluffs is a Blue collar to the core town. The players line of thinking is they bust it all week and go to the pay window on Friday nights ( game night-pay day) just like their folks do all week.( with pay day also being at the end of the week. ) I really think that is what surprised the Des Moines crowd.- just expect a very physical game.

I'm one of those guys who believes history repeats itself. Last time Duggan had a QB that landed in the Big 12 (Waters-K State) he finished his high school career with a state title.

Interestingly in that semi game St Alberts was knotted up and tied at halftime before Waters became a 1 man show in the second half and led his team to a comfortable win. That turned out to likely have been the championship game since Waters led his team to a 35-0 blow out in the championship game.

Looking forward to today's matchups. Lot of excitement over LC-Xavier.

Last edited:
Duggan was not a coach on that St. Albert team. He left in the spring of 2009. But was the coach of the team that beat IC Regina in 7-6 with Waters at qb as a sophomore

Reactions: stickman80
So much great talent in this game. There has to be 5 D1 players in that single game alone tonight! High school football goes the way the offensive line goes. And nobody in 3A has as good as an offensive line as Xavier. However I think Logan jones is a man amongst boys in the trenches and will wreak havoc all game. I’ll take Xavier 28 LC- 21

So much great talent in this game. There has to be 5 D1 players in that single game alone tonight! High school football goes the way the offensive line goes. And nobody in 3A has as good as an offensive line as Xavier. However I think Logan jones is a man amongst boys in the trenches and will wreak havoc all game. I’ll take Xavier 28 LC- 21
defense wins games...offense sells tickets

Duggan was not a coach on that St. Albert team. He left in the spring of 2009. But was the coach of the team that beat IC Regina in 7-6 with Waters at qb as a sophomore

My bad. I thought Duggan was still coaching when St Albert's won that title and he had taken Waters all the way through high school.

My point could still very well stand. A QB of that caliber that can kill you with his arm or feet can take control of a tight game and make the difference.

(Man that is laughable though......2 Lower Class privates from major metropolitan areas playing for the State Title).

Congrats to Xavier-really played well and were the better team tonight. Can't see them being stopped next week. To LC-nice run, congrats on first trip to the dome and a great season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT