ADVERTISEMENT

Semi finals

usfhawk

All District
Jul 13, 2006
What are your thoughts on the two upcoming semifinal games?

AHST Avoca vs. West Lyon

- How do they matchup?

Wapsie Valley vs. BGM

- How do these two matchup?
- Will BGM get revenge from last year?

This post was edited on 11/9 5:04 PM by usfhawk

WL - too tough

WV - will prove to be WL's only real competition

Ultimately. WL will just be too tough for the comp.

The Fearsome Eagle Beasts WILL be back I have no doubt about that.

Until then I have short term adopted West Lyon.

good job editing those couple posts IASPORT...i really hope you were just being sarcastic and not just being overly cocky and rude.
This post was edited on 11/11 9:43 AM by Makeweight35

Game week!!

Four 12-0 teams.

AHST may be the sleeper of the group.

AHST looks like an aggressive hard nosed team. Block well tackle well. West Lyon may have another tough one on their hands. 34 and 24 are very impressive players.

Thanks alot for your concern ...makeweight35.
I've been a member of this board for many years and have always enjoyed banter with Iron Doc...and always enjoyed his
posts.
I made a couple sarcastic (and snotty) replies just to get him going but decided that it wouldnt be understood by the rest of the community.
I deleted them before I figured some one would butt in ....sorry I was wrong.
No harm intended.
Sorry ...again.

IASPORT:

What's funny is i never saw your replies. Since I am out in Virginia visiting the grandsons, I didn't get to this forum with regularity. The replies were gone before i saw them. With that said, no harm no foul. :) You are always one of the more interesting posters on here so i no doubt would have had a reply. :)

Besides, at my advanced age and decrepitude, I've heard them all (literally).

GO BEASTS!!!

I think the AHST vs. West Lyon game is being greatly overlooked, I will admit that I don't know a ton about the Vikings but you don't get to 12-0 just being lucky. West Lyon has been the dominate team all year and yes they do have some impressive wins over bigger schools, but I don't know if there is a really good comparison to predict this game, no common opponents, and I believe the only district 1 v 8 game was Westwood vs. Woodbury Central, which Westwood took rather easily. Now with that being said I am taking the Wildcats in a close one, but I do think that this will be a challenge for them, and I think we will also see if district 1 is the power house district many people think it is.

Wapsie vs. BGM is the game that is getting far more attention, as it is a rematch, and can the Big Bad Bears dethrone the Warriors, and all that jazz. Before the quarters I would have picked Wapsie no problems but G-R did expose a few issues Wapsie could have. There is no doubt that BGM has plenty of athletes across the board, something that most teams can't match Wapsie on. But I do think that as a whole Wapsie has played a better schedule as is more battle tested than BGM, the northeast part of the state typically has stronger football top to bottom than the southeast, and I would say that the low finishing teams in Wapsie's district are better than BGM's, and I think that Turkey Valley, Grundy and G-R are as good if that better than teams like Pekin, Monte, and Lynnville Sully. Overall I think that this game will be a barn burner with both teams struggling to find itself offensively and Wapsie pulling it out late.

P nation i fully agree with you on the wapsie, bgm game, also i agree the west lyon, ahst is also being overlooked. They have a couple impressive players and they are undefeated. To comment on the westwood, woodbury game the score was 42-40 westwood so it was pretty close. I saw the west lyon, woodbury game which was not close even though they did have injury issues woodbury was completely outmatched. It was 45-0 at half and woodbury had -20 or so total yards at halftime. Now going based on that cause i know nothing about ahst besides they have a few good players, my opinion is west lyon will pull away in the second half the coaching for west lyon in my opinion will have a big impact on this game so will the size of west lyon. That being said i look for a final of 42-14. West lyon wears them down after halftime.

This post was edited on 11/12 9:48 AM by zombie83

This post was edited on 11/12 10:15 AM by zombie83

Just an FYI... Madrid never punted against AHST, so saying that they stopped Madrid's offense is a little incorrect. They did force 2 Turnovers on Downs, both inside the 5 yard line. If Madrid doesn't fumble, they win by 21. They did, and so, good luck to AHST, but don't make it seem like they are some amazing defensive team. They are aggressive and attack their reads with tenacity. A team that uses that against them will slash them all game long. AHST's offense got basically 2 big plays against Madrid... A QB Draw for 25 or so and an outside veer run for 66 where the DE didn't squeeze down. Their offense was a little disappointing for me, but they did enough to win the game, Madrid didn't.

West Lyon will win by at least 2 TDs if they don't fumble.

Here are some fun facts about the west lyon team ahst will be facing..... Defense wise there starters have given up 5 total touchdowns to opposing offenses all year any other touchdown was given up by 2nd team/jv. They have held 5 opponents to negitive total yards in the first halfs of those games after half they warmed the bench while 2nd team took over. Also this last game againt a very good offense in algona they managed to put up a eye popping 11 total yards by halftime, while the starters did play the whole game (which by the way was the first time since week 1) did give up a td and algona finished with a total of 86 yards. So i dont know how that compares to ahst but im sure they are similar..... Offense wise west lyon has the game pretty much well in hand by halftime, that was a quote by a newspaper, which i cannot say they lied. The only game which there offensive starter actually played the whole game besides central lyon was against algona which they managed 386 yards of offense against a team that was bringin the house every play. So once again dont know how it compares to ahst but im sure they are pretty similar. With that being said the defense rests!

Oh and i almost forgot 2 of those 5 tds were given up the first game of the year againt central lyon who was outsd by sioux center in the second round and the 3rd td was given up against sioux center in the second game of the year which i think sioux center is still going strong and headed to the dome too. Best of luck also to sioux county buddies. Go Warriors!
This post was edited on 11/14 10:18 AM by zombie83

Originally posted by vikingfan13:
I don't think the size of West Lyon really matters in this case. Madrid was bigger than AHST but AHST still could get past them and stopped their offense. Yeah Madrid had plenty of fumbles but AHST still could stop them. AHST may not have huge guys but they are all very well coached and well trained. AHST is definitely a second half team (look at the their game against Audubon) This game should be much closer than most people would think.
Dude. West Lyon by 3 tds. Minimum.

Well tomorrow the rest of the state gets a chance to see what the people of northwest Iowa have had the pleasure of watching this fall, in West Lyon football. To have a team this talented from such a small school, is really hard to fathom.

Only one good game played today. Three blowouts and one game that was a very good game, that might have been decided by some poor calls late in the game.

I would expect to see some more blowouts on Friday. I still feel the only teams that can play with West Lyon are Regina, and Heelan. in A, 1A, 2A. or 3A.

Should be another interesting day at the dome.

The AHST game was as expected. When I saw WL in the first game of the season I already crowned them as state champ. I have the text messages from that night to prove it. BGM will give them a better go, but it will take 5 lost fumbles to make it a game.

zombie83-That wasn't "Algona", that was Garrigan, or Bishop Garrigan. People don't say "Mason City" when they're talking about Newman, or Council Bluffs when they're talking about St. Alberts, for example. Algona was a 2-win 3A school this year. Bishop Garrigan was a pretty good Class A school that might have done something in the Dome but for playing a better team, West Lyon, in the substate.
Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not saying anything bad about your team. West lyon is clearly the class of the state this year. Congratulations and we're all proud of the way WL has represented NW Iowa football.

Originally posted by HE SCORES!:
zombie83-That wasn't "Algona", that was Garrigan, or Bishop Garrigan. People don't say "Mason City" when they're talking about Newman, or Council Bluffs when they're talking about St. Alberts, for example. Algona was a 2-win 3A school this year. Bishop Garrigan was a pretty good Class A school that might have done something in the Dome but for playing a better team, West Lyon, in the substate.
Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not saying anything bad about your team. West lyon is clearly the class of the state this year. Congratulations and we're all proud of the way WL has represented NW Iowa football.
Depends on where you're from I guess. I hear people say the town the school is located in all the time. Private and consolidated schools. An A/1A fan isn't talking about a 3A school often enough to where I'd be confused. Sorry if it offends anyone from Garrigan, but it happens.

Oh, no biggie, Cardinal. Didn't mean to suggest anything. I just like using the name of the school, no matter what it is.

He scores. No offense taken bishop garrigan was the best team west lyon played.. they had talent like you said they were just beat by a better team this year. Sorry i did not specify the name properly.

They didn't punt because they either went for it on 4th down or fumbled it? Madrid doesn't like to punt pal. If they were a punting team they would have punted a few times to say the least.
So your reason for Madrid not punting is because they never punt? Then that would make the "AHST can stop them" argument pretty weak, if they only forced a handful of turnovers on downs (since they obviously had so many other opportunities).

"If they were a punting team (which we knew they weren't well before the game), we would have forced punts a lot more. But they aren't, and we forced them out on downs a couple times. So we can stop them!"

That's makes absolutely no sense.

I agree! I really think WL could beat Regina but Heelan i don't know. The state championship game got me wondering why is WL in class A? I heard they were 2A back in the day. That's just what I heard. Why did they move down so much??

We moved because, like many schools, our numbers began to fall and the state set upcriteria by which we must go with.

I agree! I really think WL could beat Regina but Heelan i don't know. The state championship game got me wondering why is WL in class A? I heard they were 2A back in the day. That's just what I heard. Why did they move down so much??
WL is class A because that is where their enrollment puts them.

Will be borderline 1A/A next reclassification.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT