ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Byers for IHSAA Hall of Fame !!!

StatewidePundit

Freshman
Feb 26, 2016
Reactions: Greenway12
We can agree that the boys in Boone are bad and to think the tv deal is the only stain on Beste is amusing. What are the options to make changes? Who is pushing the open records requests?

We can agree that the boys in Boone are bad and to think the tv deal is the only stain on Beste is amusing. What are the options to make changes? Who is pushing the open records requests?
The Iowa Freedom of Information Council is working on determining if IHSAA may operate in secret legally. The boys in Boone will not like what they hear.

Already, they are hearing from politicians who are outraged that tax-supported activities are blacked out from most Iowa television viewers. Sen. Randy Feenstra, R-Hull, where they take their basketball deadly serious, is on the case. Again, the boys from Boone will not like how their ears feel after that assault.

The school sups can end this scam tomorrow if they wanted. But obviously, that 10 seconds of noritiety of them getting their tails kissed by the IHSAA entering that worthless hall of fame with the other 1,200 enabled inductees that night during the 2a consolation game is more important than ending the scam Bernie the Great Crook created.

The Iowa Freedom of Information Council is working on determining if IHSAA may operate in secret legally. The boys in Boone will not like what they hear.

Already, they are hearing from politicians who are outraged that tax-supported activities are blacked out from most Iowa television viewers. Sen. Randy Feenstra, R-Hull, where they take their basketball deadly serious, is on the case. Again, the boys from Boone will not like how their ears feel after that assault.

The school sups can end this scam tomorrow if they wanted. But obviously, that 10 seconds of noritiety of them getting their tails kissed by the IHSAA entering that worthless hall of fame with the other 1,200 enabled inductees that night during the 2a consolation game is more important than ending the scam Bernie the Great Crook created.

I've read a lot of your comments, but can you lay out your issues? I'm not defending them by any means as I think there is a lot they could do better, but they DO oversee athletic competition for every single high school boy in the state. I don't think compensation is probably out of line compared to that of a superintendent of a large district. It's obvious you don't care for the association but I'm curious to see something like (?) maybe a bulleted list of what you don't like about them. I'd also be curious to see your realistic answers to the problems that you see at the association and boys athletics in the state in general..

I've read a lot of your comments, but can you lay out your issues? I'm not defending them by any means as I think there is a lot they could do better, but they DO oversee athletic competition for every single high school boy in the state. I don't think compensation is probably out of line compared to that of a superintendent of a large district. It's obvious you don't care for the association but I'm curious to see something like (?) maybe a bulleted list of what you don't like about them. I'd also be curious to see your realistic answers to the problems that you see at the association and boys athletics in the state in general..

Did you read the links in the OP?

Reactions: StatewidePundit
Did you read the links in the OP?
I did. And the fact that you have to pay $10 to watch quarterfinal and consolation games doesn't really bother me. I'd love to hear more, as well as solutions. I guess I'm not in the loop on this subject, which is why I'm asking to know more.

I did. And the fact that you have to pay $10 to watch quarterfinal and consolation games doesn't really bother me. I'd love to hear more, as well as solutions. I guess I'm not in the loop on this subject, which is why I'm asking to know more.
Sure you are not in the loop lol. Looks like you are trying to get your nomination secured for that ref hall of fame with the other 3400 sycophant refs they will induct this year.
Read Scott Byers more and learn.

If you read the links, you know it's not about paying $10 to watch the quarters. That was not mentioned in either of the articles. It's about the lack of transparency. It's about poor leadership. It's about selling the broadcast rights for a minimal amount then saying 'there's nothing we can do about it'. It's about the obvious snub of western Iowa where almost no cable companies carry Comcast Chicago. It's about limiting print and radio media from covering the tournament and charging them more to cover it. It's about snotty replies from Boone when you question them on this deal.

I can watch - for free - all the Iowa girls tournament games as well as all Nebraska and South Dakota state tournaments. Do you honestly think the boys set up (charging to watch the quarters and having the semis and finals broadcast on a channel with poor state coverage) is better for the fans and the sport than how the girls have it set up? Somehow, miraculously, the IGHSAU figured out how to get free access to all Iowans but the boys assoc just can't do it.

By the way, why do we need separate associations? Why is Iowa the only state to separate boys and girls? The should have been combined long ago. Another link to some reading if you're interested - https://www.thegazette.com/schools/...-girls-high-school-sports-separately-20170219

Solution: 1. combine the 2 associations and save a million dollars in admin costs that can be used for the kids. 2. Get new leadership that actually cares about the kids and the sports.

Greenway nailed it. They IHSAA made a horrible deal with the IHSSN and as a result has betrayed many of the schools they are supposed to represent. The IHSSN has shown repeatedly it cares little about the schools and athletes as long as it gets its money and the Association has done nothing to stop it. The girls union just exacerbates the issue by putting out a fantastic product every year that the entire state can actually access.

It is not just the tv issue either. The entire girls' state tournament is done so much better than the boys. They really do put a focus on the athletes while the primary focus for the boys seems to be the advertisers. For example, the girls use the large screen to display stats throughout the game, which is terrific for the fans. The boys use that same space for advertising. Usually, the boys put stats on the side screens along the upper deck but this year has decided to also put ads on that space. So half the time you look up trying to check how many fouls or points a kid has you have to wait for an ad to get done being displayed before the stats reappear. It is stuff like that which just really rubs me and many others the wrong way.

Thanks, that’s what I was curious about. Not sure why the fella got butthurt a few posts ago but I guess that’s his prerogative.

Separate governing bodies for the boys and girls will not change until the Iowa Legislature steps in and makes it happen. I know it is being looked into in Des Moines. The cost savings for the schools alone would be substantial. Take all that overhead and maybe put it toward paying more to refs, getting more young people involved in officiating, shot clock, etc. The wasted money alone should be enough to get them combined.

It appears that this issue needs an investigative reporter to look at it. The schools, coaches, administrators, etc. can’t take part for fear of retribution. Websites can’t bite the hand that feeds it. I don’t think anyone will care enough to expose the set up for what it is.

Reactions: StatewidePundit
Great seeing a "ref" use the term "butthurt." Hopefully you have given out no Ts.

What does the fact that I used to officiate in my spare time have to do with the fact that he was being a crybaby? Toughen up, buttercup.

After reading his testimonial on another thread. This ref seems like another poster boy for the fraud called the IHSAA.

I was an official, you dolt, not a state worker. I couldn't care less that you don't like them, I was just looking for insight as to your laundry list of problems with them seeing as you've been on here for the past week posting incessantly about the problems without offering any viable solutions. I explained how the selection process actually works-- to help with the speculation/rumors from people outside the profession-- in another thread and commented that by most objective measures the guys that are in Des Moines working the tourneys are the ones that you want there. Every single person who evaluates officials (objectively, not as a fan of one team) would likely agree with me. If you have other officials who are not there and should replace someone that is there by all means feel free to name them here and/or (more importantly) let the guys in Boone/WDM know that they deserve it. I'd also love to see you post some plays that you think were called incorrectly if the officiating is so bad.

I won't hold my breath though, people like you just like to piss and moan and rarely do anything productive with their bandwidth like offer solutions and/or concrete support for your drivel. Very rarely are officials on the same side as the associations. I was just around it long enough to offer some knowledgeable insight. I figured some would appreciate a view from a side they don't often hear from. Please though, continue to stretch things to fit your narrative. I realize reading is hard, but you boys need to maybe sit the next few plays out.

What does the fact that I used to officiate in my spare time have to do with the fact that he was being a crybaby? Toughen up, buttercup.

I was an official, you dolt, not a state worker. I couldn't care less that you don't like them, I was just looking for insight as to your laundry list of problems with them seeing as you've been on here for the past week posting incessantly about the problems without offering any viable solutions. I explained how the selection process actually works-- to help with the speculation/rumors from people outside the profession-- in another thread and commented that by most objective measures the guys that are in Des Moines working the tourneys are the ones that you want there. Every single person who evaluates officials (objectively, not as a fan of one team) would likely agree with me. If you have other officials who are not there and should replace someone that is there by all means feel free to name them here and/or (more importantly) let the guys in Boone/WDM know that they deserve it. I'd also love to see you post some plays that you think were called incorrectly if the officiating is so bad.

I won't hold my breath though, people like you just like to piss and moan and rarely do anything productive with their bandwidth like offer solutions and/or concrete support for your drivel. Very rarely are officials on the same side as the associations. I was just around it long enough to offer some knowledgeable insight. I figured some would appreciate a view from a side they don't often hear from. Please though, continue to stretch things to fit your narrative. I realize reading is hard, but you boys need to maybe sit the next few plays out.
Go away now Bernie boy

...The cost savings for the schools alone would be substantial. .
This!
..getting more young people involved in officiating..
and this!
Both unions need an organized drive towards attracting young people towards officiating.
We've all sat through games this year with officials that can no longer make it up & down the floor. Many of them are being begged not to retire by AD's desperate to find refs, so give them a break

What needs to happen:
  1. Sponsor officiating camps in the summer. Run them concurrent with the big shoot-outs.
  2. Schools need to enforce the code of conduct on their own crowds.
  3. A lot (not all) of millennials need to develop thicker skin.
  4. Actively recruit potential officials. Lots of former athletes who like to be around the game. They're just intimidated by the perceived hoops you need to jump through to get certified, and are intimidated by the though of getting yelled at. The state can ease those fears
  5. Pay better and cover mileage.
  6. Every current official and coach/AD should seek out good candidates and encourage them to get certified.

Reactions: NWIA_hoops
This!
and this!
Both unions need an organized drive towards attracting young people towards officiating.
We've all sat through games this year with officials that can no longer make it up & down the floor. Many of them are being begged not to retire by AD's desperate to find refs, so give them a break

What needs to happen:
  1. Sponsor officiating camps in the summer. Run them concurrent with the big shoot-outs.
  2. Schools need to enforce the code of conduct on their own crowds.
  3. A lot (not all) of millennials need to develop thicker skin.
  4. Actively recruit potential officials. Lots of former athletes who like to be around the game. They're just intimidated by the perceived hoops you need to jump through to get certified, and are intimidated by the though of getting yelled at. The state can ease those fears
  5. Pay better and cover mileage.
  6. Every current official and coach/AD should seek out good candidates and encourage them to get certified.

These are some great ideas that you have.

There are some great officiating camps available to officials throughout the state. I know that Chuck Brittain (Northeast Iowa and IGHSAU playoff assignor) puts on a great one in Dubuque, Joel Oswald and Gordon Kratz (high school and collegiate assignors) put on one at Drake in the summer and then one at UNI. I heard that Terry Oglesby was at the Drake camp this past year and I wish I would've known because I would've paid to go to the camp just to hear him speak. Terry is a Final 4 official who worked the Michigan-Loyola game last year and is based somewhere within a few hours. I heard some great second-hand stories of working Bobby Knight and Bob Huggins games through guys that were there that I would've loved to have been there for. Both of those camps are $150 or less, which isn't a bad deal for 2 full days of instruction and games with a lot of high quality officials. Most of these camps are word of mouth things, these guys aren't really advertising them too much so I'm sure a lot of officials don't know about them.

I also saw on social media that Des Moines Official Association had a table set up at the girls' tournament trying to recruit officials. I think that is a great idea and would love to see some signs/flyers at AAU tourneys too. I've mentioned this a couple times here but if anyone is interested in officiating varsity games, it only takes a couple years to work your way into that with how short they are on officials and I'd love to point you in the right direction with how to get started and who to contact to get games.

I do think you're right that some people aren't cut out for it. Getting yelled at by coaches and fans of both schools on a nightly basis can wear on you. I rarely heard fans because I didn't pay attention to them, but I've had fans make comments about my appearance, my family, my faith, etc and by the end of the season it can get old. I won't go all in on the millennial hate but there are a lot of people with thin skin out there --as evidenced by some posters on this very board-- who can't handle that night in and night out.

I would also say that I saw the tolerance for what was considered appropriate from coaches and fans go way up in my final years. Society has gotten to a place where it's okay to say things to people in stripes that you'd never say to them if you were one-on-one or face-to-face. In my early years, fans were pretty respectful even when I had an off game. As the years went on, the level of inappropriate comments that were accepted by peers, athletic directors, and the state went way up. I'm not sure why that is okay, or why people expect officials to take abuse at the hands of adults but that's where we are. I saw another thread where people were complaining about a coach getting stuck for screaming on the court. Why people think coaches shouldn't be penalized for acting like children is beyond me but that's another conversation for another day.

I would also say that there are some in Boone who don't think there is a problem with a lack of officials. I've had conversations who have talked with administrators up there who have flat out told them that there is no shortage. That is just ignorance because it is pretty clear that there is a shortage when you talk to any of the regular season assignors who have a tough time filling games. Sure, it's no problem for Boone because when it comes to playoffs they always have enough guys. Until they recognize the need for some type of drive to draw in officials and make it a bit more attractive, I think we will continue to see the shortage.

That's my $.02 from an old guy who becomes more out of the loop with each passing year.

These are some great ideas that you have.

There are some great officiating camps available to officials throughout the state. I know that Chuck Brittain (Northeast Iowa and IGHSAU playoff assignor) puts on a great one in Dubuque, Joel Oswald and Gordon Kratz (high school and collegiate assignors) put on one at Drake in the summer and then one at UNI. I heard that Terry Oglesby was at the Drake camp this past year and I wish I would've known because I would've paid to go to the camp just to hear him speak. Terry is a Final 4 official who worked the Michigan-Loyola game last year and is based somewhere within a few hours. I heard some great second-hand stories of working Bobby Knight and Bob Huggins games through guys that were there that I would've loved to have been there for. Both of those camps are $150 or less, which isn't a bad deal for 2 full days of instruction and games with a lot of high quality officials. Most of these camps are word of mouth things, these guys aren't really advertising them too much so I'm sure a lot of officials don't know about them.

I also saw on social media that Des Moines Official Association had a table set up at the girls' tournament trying to recruit officials. I think that is a great idea and would love to see some signs/flyers at AAU tourneys too. I've mentioned this a couple times here but if anyone is interested in officiating varsity games, it only takes a couple years to work your way into that with how short they are on officials and I'd love to point you in the right direction with how to get started and who to contact to get games.

I do think you're right that some people aren't cut out for it. Getting yelled at by coaches and fans of both schools on a nightly basis can wear on you. I rarely heard fans because I didn't pay attention to them, but I've had fans make comments about my appearance, my family, my faith, etc and by the end of the season it can get old. I won't go all in on the millennial hate but there are a lot of people with thin skin out there --as evidenced by some posters on this very board-- who can't handle that night in and night out.

I would also say that I saw the tolerance for what was considered appropriate from coaches and fans go way up in my final years. Society has gotten to a place where it's okay to say things to people in stripes that you'd never say to them if you were one-on-one or face-to-face. In my early years, fans were pretty respectful even when I had an off game. As the years went on, the level of inappropriate comments that were accepted by peers, athletic directors, and the state went way up. I'm not sure why that is okay, or why people expect officials to take abuse at the hands of adults but that's where we are. I saw another thread where people were complaining about a coach getting stuck for screaming on the court. Why people think coaches shouldn't be penalized for acting like children is beyond me but that's another conversation for another day.

I would also say that there are some in Boone who don't think there is a problem with a lack of officials. I've had conversations who have talked with administrators up there who have flat out told them that there is no shortage. That is just ignorance because it is pretty clear that there is a shortage when you talk to any of the regular season assignors who have a tough time filling games. Sure, it's no problem for Boone because when it comes to playoffs they always have enough guys. Until they recognize the need for some type of drive to draw in officials and make it a bit more attractive, I think we will continue to see the shortage.

That's my $.02 from an old guy who becomes more out of the loop with each passing year.

Back when I got my officiating license (shocker to you, I know), there was a lower fee for younger guys. I was getting mine right out of high school and can't remember exactly what the price was, but it was substantially less. Those camps you mention sound like good things, but how many college students can afford to go to Taco Bell for supper, let alone pay hundreds of dollars to hear officials speak?

Does the state still have that lower registration fee? It would be great if they could do like a mentor program where the young guns try it out with some established crews. MS or 9th/JV would give people a good taste.

Oh I’m with you. For young guys with families or college kids, that’s a lot of dough to fork over to go work games. Just telling you what I know. I do think they have a cheaper rate for high school kids to register with the state but I don’t think college students are extended that courtesy.

I do know Central Iowa was trying to do a mentor type program a couple years back. It was CIML lower level games and you’d often see guys who worked varsity or used to be big time working with 2 newer guys. I am not sure if that is still going on but it is a fantastic opportunity for young guys to work with good officials and learn in lower stakes games.

Reactions: C-Town Card
New column by Byers. Reports on Iowa Senate hearing with Sen Feenstra and Beste from IHSAA. I hear a new Exec Director has been hired to replace Beste. From Wahlert, I believe.

State Sen. Randy Feenstra (R-Hull) would like to know why Iowa is the only state that doesn’t have a singular entity controlling all of its high school extracurricular activities.

In fact, he authored Senate File 326, which would prohibit Iowa public schools from giving any money to the Iowa High School Athletic Association or Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union after Jan. 1, 2022.

“We’re the only state with two associations,” Feenstra said after a subcommittee meeting Monday. “A lot of our questions were about if the money these groups are bringing in is being used correctly, in a way that benefits Iowa student-athletes, or is it all going to salary and wages for the people who work there?”....

https://www.nwestiowa.com/sports/by...cle_afb4be9e-4405-11e9-bf08-c3bd1a487e2c.html

I will be interested to see how this shakes out. At the end of the day, they are private businesses with a vested interest in publicly funded entities. The debate over whether they should answer to taxpayers will be a fun one although I can't really see a lot of people defending the associations.

Another Byers column:

Finally, some potentially good news for N’West Iowa residents who miss seeing the boys high school championship events on television.

The Iowa High School Athletic Association has hired a new athletic director, and according to IHSAA board of control member Rod Earleywine of Sergeant Bluff-Luton, one of the major bullet points Tom Keating will take on right away is finding ways to improve the television contract for IHSAA tournament events....

https://www.nwestiowa.com/sports/by...cle_34cc050a-477c-11e9-a6dc-2734de368e92.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT