Spirit Lake 74, Spencer 66 (2 OT)
Wahlert, Dubuque 74, Center Point-Urbana 54
Waverly-Shell Rock 46, Charles City 43
Webster City 82, Humboldt 67
Williamsburg 50, Clear Creek-Amana 37
Xavier, Cedar Rapids 88, Solon 57
This post was edited on 2/27 6:35 AM by LukeFeddersen

Crestwood 42, Decorah 37.
Dub.Wahlert 74, Center Point-Urbana 54. Sloppy win that set the sport back 50 years. Pemsl 20.
CR Xavier 88, Solon 57 (Saints are rolling)
Williamsburgh 50, Clear Creek Amana 37
Mt. Vernon 61, Dav. Assumption 44. Huge upset over top ten 3A team from the 4A MAC Conference.
Dennison Schleswig 68, Carroll 65 (Another "upset.")
Dallas Center Grimes 66, B-F 54 (DCG looking really tough)
Ft. Madison 40, Keokuk 38 (OT) (Big SE Iowa game of the night)
Pella 74, Chariton 64 (Another closer than expected game)
Norwalk 61, Carlisle 48
Glenwood 58, Harlan 56 (OT)

Webster City 82, Humboldt 67 (Mason Myers 37)
Spirit Lake 74, Spencer 66 (2OT) Big Kreiner dunks at the end.
This post was edited on 2/26 8:58 PM by EastIowaHawk

CLASS 1A:
Belle Plaine 48, Montezuma 46
Danville 63, Holy Trinity Catholic, Fort Madison 52
Earlham 74, Murray 48
Gladbrook-Reinbeck 71, Jesup 53
Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire 53, Newell-Fonda 48
Grand View Christian School 72, Pleasantville 48
Lawton-Bronson 58, Woodbury Central, Moville 52
Maple Valley-Anthon-Oto 74, Ar-We-Va, Westside 59
Nodaway Valley 66, Paton-Churdan 48
Sigourney 61, Lynnville-Sully 53
South O'Brien, Paullina 53, Boyden-Hull 45
West Hancock, Britt 78, Newman Catholic, Mason City 54

CLASS 3A:
Mount Vernon 61, Assumption, Davenport 44
Norwalk 61, Carlisle 48
Waverly-Shell Rock 46, Charles City 43
Xavier, Cedar Rapids 88, Solon 57

A few from the dirty south.

#4 Ft. Madison 40 Keokuk 38 in OT. What a great way to end that Dahl-Wentzein rivalry. David Nagel hit a couple freethrows in the last 7 seconds to win it.

#2 Williamsburg 50 Cleer Creak-Amana 37. Williamsburg's defense is for real!

#1 Pella 74 Chariton 64. Was a 4 or 5 point game in the last few minutes. Big step for the dutch getting past that team.

Norwalk 61 Carlisle 48. This Norwalk team is red hot. I'm actually surprised it was this close.

This post was edited on 2/26 8:39 PM by NeverReadTheTermsOfService

Great game in Burlington tonight. FM looked like they were going to run away with it in the second quarter as they led 24-14 at one point before Keokuk got a stop and a bucket late to make it 24-16 at the half. The Chiefs took the slowly but surely way of inching back into the game and actually led by one point three separate times in the fourth quarter before the game became tied at 38. Then, I saw something I haven't seen before: FM essentially held the ball the last six minutes of the game. They worked the clock down at the end of regulation before missing a three pointer at the buzzer. Then, FM won the overtime opening tip and held the ball all the way down to under ten second left before a foul gave Nagel two FTs and he made them both. A driving lay-up by Dahl was missed at the buzzer.

Chariton -- Pella game was a very entertaining game. Those two studs from Chariton matched up very well against Pella. Chariton jumped out to a 9-0 lead and then Pella seemed to be playing catch up for most of the first half. I thought Pella would wear them down as Chariton really only goes 6 deep, but Chariton held up well. Hockenson picked up his 4th foul in the 3rd quarter, didn't come out and didn't foul out.

Pella has Norwalk now. Is tough to beat a team three times in a season, especially one as good as Norwalk. Pella won the first two meetings fairly convincingly. Norwalk doesn't seem to match up very well with Pella this year, but I'm sure they will make some adjustments. Should be a good game.

That FM -- Keokuk game looked liked very exciting. Low scoring, grind it out affair. FM -- Williamsburg may be a 32-30 game.

Originally posted by wolverine55:
Great game in Burlington tonight. FM looked like they were going to run away with it in the second quarter as they led 24-14 at one point before Keokuk got a stop and a bucket late to make it 24-16 at the half. The Chiefs took the slowly but surely way of inching back into the game and actually led by one point three separate times in the fourth quarter before the game became tied at 38. Then, I saw something I haven't seen before: FM essentially held the ball the last six minutes of the game. They worked the clock down at the end of regulation before missing a three pointer at the buzzer. Then, FM won the overtime opening tip and held the ball all the way down to under ten second left before a foul gave Nagel two FTs and he made them both. A driving lay-up by Dahl was missed at the buzzer.
So, Keokuk got one shot off combined in the last minutes of the 4th quarter and all of OT (total 6 minutes) and that was at the buzzer in OT? That is taking the air out of the ball in an extreme way. Sounds like Hickory in Hoosiers. I guess it worked as they walked out of Burlington with a W.

The way I remember it, yes. Too many turnovers and rebounds given up for Keokuk too. Hard to win close games win that happens.

That's bad basketball. Stalling for 11 minutes? Yuck.

Closer to six minutes total. They got the ball with around 1:50 maybe left in regulation after Keokuk tied it and held it all the way down for a final shot. Then they won the opening tip of the overtime and had the ball essentially the whole overtime period. They did shoot a couple shots in the overtime period, but got the rebound both times. Keokuk's ultimate downfall tonight was rebounding. Don't know the stats, but FM got a lot of offensive rebounds.

Originally posted by EastIowaHawk:
Crestwood 42, Decorah 37.
Dub.Wahlert 74, Center Point-Urbana 54. Sloppy win that set the sport back 50 years. Pemsl 20.
CR Xavier 88, Solon 57 (Saints are rolling)
Williamsburgh 50, Clear Creek Amana 37
Mt. Vernon 61, Dav. Assumption 44. Huge upset over top ten 3A team from the 4A MAC Conference.
Dennison Schleswig 68, Carroll 65 (Another "upset.")
Dallas Center Grimes 66, B-F 54 (DCG looking really tough)
Ft. Madison 40, Keokuk 38 (OT) (Big SE Iowa game of the night)
Pella 74, Chariton 64 (Another closer than expected game)
Norwalk 61, Carlisle 48

Webster City 82, Humboldt 67 (Mason Myers 37)
Spirit Lake 74, Spencer 66 (2OT) Big Kreiner dunks at the end.
This post was edited on 2/26 8:58 PM by EastIowaHawk
Assumption losing was an upset, but not as big as you would think. I have scouted Mount Vernon 3 times in the last month. I scouted Xavier/Solon tonight.

After having seen MV man handle Maquoketa. Then man handle Dewitt in the regular season. I knew this would be a tough game for Assumption as long as MV beat Dewitt. Coach Craig asked me after watching MV/Dewitt at MV who was the best team and I said without a doubt MV. Assumption played very sloppy basketball against Maquoketa and I told our Assistant Varsity Coach if they play that way against MV they will lose. MV isn't a big team by any means, but they are aggressive on defense and they do an excellent job of taking big post players out of the game.

Tonight they had 4 starters under the weather, so Malik Smith-Larsson started in place of Connor Mollenbeck as a result. Youngblut was the only healthy starter. Cam Strudevant was suspended for the game for personal reasons.

As I mentioned I wasn't at the game, but I was following it via texts and Twitter. The cold shooting from the Maquoketa game continued tonight. They didn't make a bunch of bad turnovers in the first half, which was an improvement. Realistically, if they shot the way they had been prior to districts they would have had a 10-15 point halftime lead. They had 7 less TO's and I think 5 more shots taken then MV at half yet trailed 29-23. You can't shoot 2-11 on 3ptrs and 3-6 FT and expect to win games. Ash(Sophomore) for MV has been hot lately and that continued as well. He had 13 off the bench. Not sure how many were 3ptrs, but I would guess 3 of them. MV was 5-8 from deep in the first half.

Assumption had the lead down to 4 points at 34-30 midway through the 3rd and proceeded to turn the ball over 7 of 8 possessions following that, so they were down by 12 with 5 minutes left. Wadsager tried to pull them back in it with a few 3's but MV was able to hold the lead and eventually frustration set in for Assumption. Youngblut fouled out and got a technical afterwards and that was pretty much all she wrote.

MV has 3 very solid players(Hermmann, Hook, Tuebel) and 4 if you count Ash off the bench. The most impressive things to me were the quickness to double team posts and help defense. It is a very fundamentally sound team on the defensive end and they take smart/patient shots on the offensive end. It is hard to believe they had team/player issues earlier in the season, but the losses explain that.

Congrats to Mount Vernon! I know they had some team issues earlier in the season and they have that fixed. They have been playing some extremely good basketball lately. Good luck against Xavier, but if they shoot like they did tonight MV won't have a chance. Plus, Xavier student section will likely be larger and it was huge and loud tonight. Hopefully MV can get more fan support now, because even at the home games that I went to they have pretty low fan and student numbers.

Congrats to the Knights and all the Seniors on a great season. Tough way to end a career, but no reason to hang your heads about it. Finished 2nd in the MAC along with and just behind 2 of the best teams in the state!

This post was edited on 2/26 11:36 PM by maxstabs13

We had that happen when I was in high school, against Johnston. We were highly ranked and Johnston was missing one of their top players. They played slow in the first half and then they held the ball for all of the third quarter until the last shot, and most of the 4th quarter as well. We had a slight lead, so we were willing to let them do it. They ended up missing a three with a few seconds left, and we ended up winning 23-19. Played them again at state and they tried it again, but not to the same degree. We ended up winning 43-39 in the semis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT