ADVERTISEMENT

Regina opponents

I would probably have to go with Wilton.

Both teams were undefeated going into that game at Wilton. Wilton's offense was very dangerous. They could pass very well and put up quick scores. And, they had the ability to control games on the ground.
Wilton is also very familiar with Regina and their style. Coach Pederson also had the luxury of being able to consult and prepare with his father, Butch, the longtime coach at West Branch.

The game was at Wilton and the team and their fans were confident that they could win. Regina was just able to jump on them early and race out to a nice lead to take them out of their game. Even so, they had the ability to keep fighting and put up 27 points.

Other than that, Maquoketa Valley is right up there with Wilton I'd say. That defense was tough and Parmely is a challenge to contain.

After seeing Regina finally have to punt for the first time near the end of the 3rd quarter today, I decided to look on QuikStats and see who had "stopped" them the most times this year.

Solon, West Branch, and Sigourney-Keota (only lost 19-0) forced four punts from the Regals, and Clayton Ridge (trailed 14 to 3 with one minute left in 3rd quarter) actually forced five. Maquoketa Valley (lost only 24 to 7) forced two punts, but also came away with three turnovers.

Wilton, to my surprise, only forced two Regal punts, but did put up the most points against them (against reserves from what others have said).

Regina surely has dominated throughout the year though . . . great team and coaching staff.

This post was edited on 11/22 1:02 PM by CraigsNews

it's pretty hard to compare based on past results. Some teams match up differently depending on schemes. If you look at St eds, they had a far tougher time with Mason City Newman then they did with Van Meter and south O'Brien, however I wouldn't expect Newman to beat either of those teams.

This post was edited on 11/22 1:50 PM by CP84

Wilton or Solon. Regina completely controlled both games, though. They could have beaten at least some of the bottom 4A teams this year, IMO. To completely dress down a 3A semifinalist on the road is pretty unheard of for a 1A team.

hard to compare based on past results? Isnt that what statistics are? And you go gaga over stats.

You struggle understanding a thing called sample size. There's a big difference between a single game comparison and 12 weeks of data.

This post was edited on 11/24 10:50 PM by CP84

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT