ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterfinal Matchups

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
CLASS 3A
Bracket A

Spencer (8-2) at Sergeant Bluff-Luton (9-1)

Bracket B

Harlan (8-2) at Lewis Central (10-0)

Bracket C

Decorah (8-2) at Xavier, Cedar Rapids (10-0)

Bracket D

Epworth, Western Dubuque (8-2) at North Scott, Eldridge (9-1)

CLASS 3A
Bracket A

Spencer (8-2) at Sergeant Bluff-Luton (9-1)

Bracket B

Harlan (8-2) at Lewis Central (10-0)

Bracket C

Decorah (8-2) at Xavier, Cedar Rapids (10-0)

Bracket D

Epworth, Western Dubuque (8-2) at North Scott, Eldridge (9-1)
All home teams win.

If Spencer beats SBL (and it was only 24-20 SBL the first time) that sets up a potential Xavier-Lewis Central championship game. Lewis Central (with a win) would end up the highest remaining seed and play either Spencer or Western Dubuque in one semifinal, while Xavier (with a win) would play either North Scott or Spencer.

An SBL win Friday guarantees any Xavier-Lewis Central meeting would be in the semifinal.

looks like it will be xiavier and lewis central in the semis...sbl playing very well at the moment...

looks like it will be xiavier and lewis central in the semis...sbl playing very well at the moment...
State needs to fix that. LC already beat SB-L by 40 and will do it again, maybe even worse this time since Duggan is being unleashed now. Xavier isn't great but would be a better matchup vs LC than SB-L obviously.

Reactions: Iowasportsnut
North Scott growing on me but It's LC, Xavier, NS, WD as top 4 I feel, in that order.
The only issue is if you compare scores. NS beat WD 7-6...Xavier beat WD 35-0. I see it being Xavier vs LC in the championship, I think Spencer will have enough to take a W against SBL this time. But we will see. I would rather see X vs LC in the champ as anything else seems to be a run away for LC.

Reactions: obfuscating
If you really want to be specific, except for Xavier they were all 4A teams last year.

All the players (except freshmen, of course) on Lewis Central/Western Dubuque/North Scott have experience playing a 4A schedule. Xavier hasn’t been 4A since 2013 - this year’s seniors were in 7th grade the last time Xavier played in 4A.

Although I think the harping on this fact is silly. The state defines how the classes are defined. The schools play within the guidelines of what the state sets up. The schools don’t control what size schools go into what classes, nor really, even what enrollment they have themselves. You play the schedule you’re given. Can reasonable people disagree on how the state sets things up, and can they present different ideas for making it better? Absolutely. But this is the way it is, at least until the end of next season.

(I also think it’s kind of funny when people say Xavier, for example, dropped to 3A so they could collect championship trophies. You realize it took them 4 years to get even one championship, right? And they don’t appear to be the favorites this season. I don’t recall anyone saying Pella needed to volunteer to play up in 4A when they were going back-to-back-to-back ...)

Last edited:
If you really want to be specific, except for Xavier they were all 4A teams last year.

All the players (except freshmen, of course) on Lewis Central/Western Dubuque/North Scott have experience playing a 4A schedule. Xavier hasn’t been 4A since 2013 - this year’s seniors were in 7th grade the last time Xavier played in 4A.

Although I think the harping on this fact is silly. The state defines how the classes are defined. The schools play within the guidelines of what the state sets up. The schools don’t control what size schools go into what classes, nor really, even what enrollment they have themselves. You play the schedule you’re given. Can reasonable people disagree on how the state sets things up, and can they present different ideas for making it better? Absolutely. But this is the way it is, at least until the end of next season.

(I also think it’s kind of funny when people say Xavier, for example, dropped to 3A so they could collect championship trophies. You realize it took them 4 years to get even one championship, right? And they don’t appear to be the favorites this season. I don’t recall anyone saying Pella needed to volunteer to play up in 4A when they were going back-to-back-to-back ...)
Also, by chance, those schools that were under the 4A cutoff had some strong teams this year. There were some others whose teams were not as strong, that no one is complaining about such as Newton and Waterloo East. I'm OK with bringing competition in and creating new rivalries. Pella v. Xavier has certainly developed into a great clash since they have moved down. Very competitive games with two teams bringing great football traditions. I am not sure if the other 4A schools that dropped down this year will continue "dominance". Population density helps, but team culture is a large driving force behind sustaining top programs.

North Scott (County) and Western Dubuque (County) are similar in that they are "suburban areas" near larger Iowa cities, and their population areas are growing more rapidly than most others. Two extremely even teams. WD lost to NS by one point earlier on a blocked/missed EP. WD had lost its leading rusher to an ACL injury vs. Xavier. Probably a toss-up game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT