ADVERTISEMENT

Prairie Valley

warriors dad

Freshman
Aug 16, 2012
Let's talk about Prairie Valley here a minute. A team that started out 0-3 to a combined score of 156-22. After week 3 they made a QB change switching their RB to QB and their QB to RB. Probably one of the best coaching decisions of the season IMO. They went on to win 6 straight games, 2 against ranked opponents. They still have yet to get any love on here. Last night they held an unbeaten team that averages 287 yards/game on the ground to under 50 yards. This defense is legit. I don't think anyone would have predicted a tie for the district championship after last year's graduation class graduated. Returning only 4 starters from last years team, this team has surprised everyone in this community the past 6 weeks.

Wednesday they play Hinton, another team that is on a 6 game win streak. I'm sure everyone is predicting another PV loss, since it's a mighty district 1 team. That's just what PV wants, their playing with a chip on their shoulder. They know they've got no respect from anyone in the state outside of Gowrie but that's fine. It takes true guts to keep playing with heart and spirit after getting killed 3 weeks in a row. Let's start giving these young men the respect they deserve.

Respect will be given when you win the first round. Seeing both team I would say that Hinton will when win 28 to 7

I can't believe nobody is talking about them going to Ackley and beating AGWSR ( who was ranked 4th in the state) 26-6. The defense also held them to 88 total yards and their best back (Meinders) had only 7 yards...Ackley never pulled their starters either if that's what some people are thinking. If that defense comes to play @ Hinton it should be a good game.

Originally posted by Makeweight35:

I can't believe nobody is talking about them going to Ackley and beating AGWSR ( who was ranked 4th in the state) 26-6. The defense also held them to 88 total yards and their best back (Meinders) had only 7 yards...Ackley never pulled their starters either if that's what some people are thinking. If that defense comes to play @ Hinton it should be a good game.
Considering how PV started and the season Ackley had going this was one of the most impressive wins of the year. PV is peaking at the right time. Getting hot at the right time can take a team a long way. I think the Hinton/PV game will be a battle. Hinton is not the team they were last year and will have their work cut out for them.

I predict a tough low scoring game. Will come down to who plays better D and who takes care of the ball.

definitely peaking at a good time. Before Friday nights game I would have gone with hinton by 21 in a game againstPV.
but, Pv beat a #4 team......at their place....quite handily. And that was a 1 1/2 hr drive. PV now knows that they can go on the road for a lengthy drive and still play their style of game. I too think this game will be a real battle. I'm looking at a 21-16 game that either team can win.
This post was edited on 10/27 7:23 PM by spook78

I'll predict Hinton in a blowout. I haven't seen any District 1 teams play, but the bottom line is district 2 is down this year. 4 teams that are decent, but none that will make a run. Other than Burgmeier, there isn't an explosive player in the whole district. PV has a decent defense, but no offense. Not trying to take anything away from PV, but they just aren't that impressive. Wins against SEW, WH, and Lake Mills...everybody beat them. Got destroyed by Garrigan. Barely beat Newman w/o 3/4 of their starting backfield, center, and top 3 tacklers. Beat AGWSR, who is not the same team since they lost their starting QB. Again, not trying to bash them, just being realistic. Good luck, I'll be rooting for the district 2 teams.

Kind of agree with Lushhawk. Garrigan, PV. & AGWSR are so one dementional. Thats great if you are able to blow people off the line of scrimage, but now most teams are solid up front. I think you have to be able to throw the ball at least a little.
The AGWSR & PV game was not a shocker to me. Both teams run 90% of the time. Both had strong, large lines. I guess I would have said16-14 somebody going into the game.
That being said, P.V. is and was the surprise of the district, and will be very good next year.

Anyone who says PV has a "large" line has not seen them play. They have a couple decent size kids but really they are a bunch of average sized players who just get after it and are well coached. If you looked at the AGWSR sideline compared to PV's you would think AGWSR would win easily, but obviously that was not the case.

I still think this game will be a good one as nobody on Hinton's team has monster stats but they are definitely a solid, well coached team much like PV... and both teams have good defenses and decent offenses. Should be an interesting game.

If Prairie Valley goes on the road and wins at Hinton, they will get the "respect" that the OP is practically begging for. Winning at Hinton would be a good accomplishment. As previous posters have already stated, district two is considerably down compared to last year.

As for Ackley, I saw them play a couple times this year and was not impressed. They are as one-dimensional as any team I've seen in recent years. If they can control the line of scrimmage and run the ball effectively up the middle, they will be fine. However, their last couple opponents have exposed their weaknesses, which are throwing the ball and running on the perimeter. I know Ackley will be favored on Wednesday, but it wouldn't completely shock me to see them get beat at home in the first round.
This post was edited on 10/28 9:39 PM by Eleven30

PV ended up getting crushed at Hinton last night, 45-18, while Ackley did lose at home to Lawton-Bronson. Of the D2 teams, only Garrigan is still alive.

Although Hinton did win and was obviously the better team, the job that the PV coaches have done this year has to be one of the best in the state. To take a team who was crushed in each of their first 3 games and go on a 6 game win streak while beating 3 teams who either made the playoffs or had a winning record is a huge accomplishment. Not bad for a team who has a total of 5 seniors on their team and only brought back a couple starters from last year. They came out and played even with Hinton for a while, the score was tied 12-12 at one time early on, but Hinton proved to be too much and they came out with the W.

Originally posted by warriors dad:
Let's talk about Prairie Valley here a minute. A team that started out 0-3 to a combined score of 156-22. After week 3 they made a QB change switching their RB to QB and their QB to RB. Probably one of the best coaching decisions of the season IMO. They went on to win 6 straight games, 2 against ranked opponents. They still have yet to get any love on here. Last night they held an unbeaten team that averages 287 yards/game on the ground to under 50 yards. This defense is legit. I don't think anyone would have predicted a tie for the district championship after last year's graduation class graduated. Returning only 4 starters from last years team, this team has surprised everyone in this community the past 6 weeks.

Wednesday they play Hinton, another team that is on a 6 game win streak. I'm sure everyone is predicting another PV loss, since it's a mighty district 1 team. That's just what PV wants, their playing with a chip on their shoulder. They know they've got no respect from anyone in the state outside of Gowrie but that's fine. It takes true guts to keep playing with heart and spirit after getting killed 3 weeks in a row. Let's start giving these young men the respect they deserve.
One of the best coaching decisions? I would think having them in the right place at the beginning of the season would have made more sense. It sounds like the issue was pretty glaring and the change was done out of necessity, not to tweek.

Well considering the QB who started this season is the same one who played it all of last season after the original starter went down with an injury. He was the QB for a team who went to the playoffs so I don't think you can fault them for starting him at first but then switching it up after a couple of rough games. The QB they switched to (Wood) was their best receiver at the beginning of the year too so you can see the logic in wanting to keep him there.

I had been keeping track of PV from a far, but they put together a nice season. The coaching staff really turned things around after getting blown out in their first 3 games.

Heading into next season, they have a lot of talent returning on the offensive side and they will no doubt be a force in Class A. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them ranked in the top 10 at some point in the season.

just not in Moores rankings Dew ;)
actually the next 3 years should be better than this year, only 5 seniors means lots of underclassmen played this year, and their JV went 6-1 including wins against East Sac and Manson which were the teams that their varsity lost their first 2 games of the year against.
The one thing to watch is....when will they be merging football lwith Southeast Webster, as that will make them jump in class size.

My guess is that we will merge in 2 yrs? Too many people with different agendas i think!! Will know alot more after tomorrows night joint board meeting.

How did the board meeting turn out between the merger of PV and SEW? If they merge, that has to be the largest school district area wise in Iowa.

Originally posted by GoingDeep410:
How did the board meeting turn out between the merger of PV and SEW? If they merge, that has to be the largest school district area wise in Iowa.
It would put them up to 2nd behind Western Debuque. Numbers are based on 2010 though, so take it FWIW.

http://proximityone.com/schooldistrict_size.htm

South central Iowa in general doesn't have many people given the large district sizes.

Nothing was decided yet.Some board members are new and are getting up to speed.will find out more next month but my guess is it will not happen this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT