ADVERTISEMENT

Post Season pairings

Some of the 4s vs 1s went as I thought they would. What’s the most intriguing first round game out of them all? MFL at Denver could be a good one.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
are some of the teams who didnt make the playoffs scheduling another game

Last edited:
Predicted winners in BOLD. I'm a class A fan so I went with class A but glad to see any class predictions!

#4 Place at #1 Place
Tri-Center, Neola
(5-3) at Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn (6-2)
Alta-Aurelia (5-3) at West Hancock, Britt (8-0)
Saint Ansgar (3-5) at Grundy Center (7-1)
Nashua-Plainfield (4-4) at North Linn, Troy Mills (8-0)
Bellevue (5-3) at Lisbon (7-1)
Highland, Riverside (3-5) at Lynnvilly-Sully (7-1) Madrid (3-5) at Mount Ayr (6-2)
AHSTW, Avoca (4-4) at Woodbury Central, Moville (7-1)
The Tri-Center-HMS game is a toss up to me. Both teams can win this game but I'll go with the Trojans in a tight one with the way they've been playing the last few weeks. Other than that all the other 1 seeds should handle business.

#3 Place at #2 Place
IKM-Manning (5-3)
at South O’Brien, Paullina (6-2)
Starmont (3-5) at North Butler (7-1)
Alburnett (4-4) at Wapsie Valley, Fairbank (6-2).
Newman Catholic, Mason City (6-2) at East Buchanan, Winthrop (7-1)
North Tama, Traer (6-2)
at Wapello (6-2)
Earlham (5-3) at Belle Plaine (6-2)
Ogden (4-4) at Southwest Valley (6-2)
Gehlen Catholic, LeMars (5-3) at Logan-Magnolia (7-1)

I got 3 #3 seeds winning. IKM, North Tama, and Earlham. Let's see your predictions!
I got district 8 going a perfect 4 for 4 in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Predictions on first round winners in 1A plus what you think the pods of 4 teams will be?
West Monona, Onawa (2-6) at West Sioux (7-1)
Emmetsburg (3-5) at South Central Calhoun (7-1)
Eagle Grove (3-5) at Dike-New Hartford (8-0)
South Hardin (3-5) at Beckman Catholic,
Dyersville (8-0) Cascade (4-4) at Regina, Iowa City (8-0)
Durant (2-6) at Sigourney/Keota (8-0)
Pleasantville (4-4) at Van Meter (8-0)
Nodaway Valley/Orient-Macksburg (4-4) at Underwood (8-0)

Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (4-4)
at Western Christian, Hull (3-5)
Interstate 35, Truro (4-4) at Woodward-Granger (5-3)
MFL MarMac (6-2) at Denver (7-1)
Aplington-Parkersburg (5-3) at Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (6-2)
Cardinal, Eldon (5-3) at West Branch (6-2)
Mediapolis (5-3)
at Pella Christian (7-1)
South Hamilton, Jewell (4-4) at ACGC (7-1)
Ridge View (5-3) at Treynor (6-2)

1A POD PREDICTIONS (Geographical)

Kuemper @ West Sioux
SCC @ Underwood
^^^^^^^^

Woodward-Granger @ Van Meter
Treynor @ ACGC
^^^^^^^^^

Denver @ Beckman
Columbus Catholic @ Dike-New Hartford
^^^^^^^^^

West Branch @ Sigourney-Keota
Pella Christian @ Regina

Reactions: Charles86
West Monona, Onawa (2-6) at West Sioux (7-1)
Emmetsburg (3-5) at South Central Calhoun (7-1)
Eagle Grove (3-5) at Dike-New Hartford (8-0)
South Hardin (3-5) at Beckman Catholic,
Dyersville (8-0) Cascade (4-4) at Regina, Iowa City (8-0)
Durant (2-6) at Sigourney/Keota (8-0)
Pleasantville (4-4) at Van Meter (8-0)
Nodaway Valley/Orient-Macksburg (4-4) at Underwood (8-0)

Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (4-4)
at Western Christian, Hull (3-5)
Interstate 35, Truro (4-4) at Woodward-Granger (5-3)
MFL MarMac (6-2) at Denver (7-1)
Aplington-Parkersburg (5-3) at Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (6-2)
Cardinal, Eldon (5-3) at West Branch (6-2)
Mediapolis (5-3)
at Pella Christian (7-1)
South Hamilton, Jewell (4-4) at ACGC (7-1)
Ridge View (5-3) at Treynor (6-2)

1A POD PREDICTIONS (Geographical)

Kuemper @ West Sioux
SCC @ Underwood
^^^^^^^^

Woodward-Granger @ Van Meter
Treynor @ ACGC
^^^^^^^^^

Denver @ Beckman
Columbus Catholic @ Dike-New Hartford
^^^^^^^^^

West Branch @ Sigourney-Keota
Pella Christian @ Regina
You had Mepo winning but put PC at Regina

Semifinals:

The 8 head coaches that qualified for the quarterfinal round will meet prior to their quarterfinal round contest to seed the remaining 8 teams for the semi-finals.

The teams will be placed on a bracket and the winning teams will advance to the finals.

The higher seed in each game will be considered the home team.

*So after the second round, the remaining 8 teams will be seeded? What’s the point of having pods of 4 if the two winners won’t play one another after the second round?

Semifinals:

The 8 head coaches that qualified for the quarterfinal round will meet prior to their quarterfinal round contest to seed the remaining 8 teams for the semi-finals.

The teams will be placed on a bracket and the winning teams will advance to the finals.

The higher seed in each game will be considered the home team.

*So after the second round, the remaining 8 teams will be seeded? What’s the point of having pods of 4 if the two winners won’t play one another after the second round?

You're talking two different points in time.

Round 2 (16) and round 3 (quarterfinals) are the pod.

The semifinals will be reseeded. It's just that they're doing the seeding in advance. That way, the semifinal pairings can be announced right away.

I believe all home teams might win in the first round. I have the following for pods for second round/quarters in class 1A

Treynor at West Sioux
Western Christian at Underwood
———————————————
Woodward-Granger at Van Meter
AC/GC at South Central Calhoun
———————————————
Denver at Beckman
Waterloo Columbus at DNH
———————————————
West Branch at Sigourney/Keota
Pella Christian at Regina

There will be some solid second round games.

The postseason manual for second round says a district champ cannot play another district champ and you have SSC at Underwood. But I think it will have to have though that at least one second round matchup will be district champs against one another.
There are 8#1 seeds and 8 games in the round of 16. They will not be playing each other.
They never did say how the 2 round pairings were going to play out. I think we cannot assume the districts playing each other. As far as when it gets to 8 teams, the high school website said that all coaches will get together to seed the teams.

are some of the teams who didnt make the playoffs scheduling another game
I think that should be part of the plan going forward - The teams not making PO should have the opportunity to play at least one more game. With the expansion of playoffs (which was a good thing) teams who are trying to build to htat level, get short changed. Now the question is, if you just went 0-8 are you up for "one more game" or ready, psychologically, to hang up the cleats and look toward next year?

There are 8#1 seeds and 8 games in the round of 16. They will not be playing each other.
They never did say how the 2 round pairings were going to play out. I think we cannot assume the districts playing each other. As far as when it gets to 8 teams, the high school website said that all coaches will get together to seed the teams.
They did say that 4 team pods would be determined for round 2 (which then seems like they will bracket those through 2 rounds, not re-seed quarterfinals.

I believe all home teams might win in the first round. I have the following for pods for second round/quarters in class 1A

Treynor at West Sioux
———————————————
———————————————
Denver at Beckman
Waterloo Columbus at DNH
———————————————

There will be some solid second round games.
Barring any upsets I think you have it right. Columbus/DNH rematch would be fun. Columbus led 14-0 in week 1 before DNH turned it on and won 35-21. I'll take Columbus in round 2

Barring any upsets I think you have it right. Columbus/DNH rematch would be fun. Columbus led 14-0 in week 1 before DNH turned it on and won 35-21. I'll take Columbus in round 2
given i was the first to post any predictions, shouldn't I get the credit? hahahahahaha. Just kidding. I really couldn't care less.

My guess at pods for round of 16/quarters in 1A

Western Christian at West Sioux
Ridge View at Underwood
———————————————
———————————————
MFL, MarMac at Beckman
Waterloo Columbus at DNH
———————————————

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
My guess at pods for round of 16/quarters in 1A

Western Christian at West Sioux
Ridge View at Underwood
———————————————
———————————————
MFL, MarMac at Beckman
Waterloo Columbus at DNH
———————————————
I would agree on most except the top pod. I think they will play out of district even though there is a lot of travel involved. The other question mark is the 3rd pod. Not sure how they will divide it but they probably would not have the #2 and #1 seed of the same district play if they can avoid it.

I would agree on most except the top pod. I think they will play out of district even though there is a lot of travel involved. The other question mark is the 3rd pod. Not sure how they will divide it but they probably would not have the #2 and #1 seed of the same district play if they can avoid it.
Yeah I wasn’t sure how they would handle the 3rd pod with MFL winning so I just went with shorter travel distances for road teams.

I could also see Ridge View at SSC and AC/GC at Underwood.

I sure hope they dont put 3 district teams in the same pod. On quickstats power index beckman and dike 1 & 2. It would be a shame if they are in same pod.

I sure hope they dont put 3 district teams in the same pod. On quickstats power index beckman and dike 1 & 2. It would be a shame if they are in same pod.
Unless the state goes with

Waterloo Columbus at Regina
West Branch at DNH

PC at Beckman
MFL at SK

bottom pairings involve some long travel

My guess for 1A

Ridge View at West Sioux

Woodward Granger at Van Meter
AC/GC at SCC

MFL at DNH
West Branch at Beckman

Columbus at Sigourney Keota

Reactions: Huehney
POD #1
Western Christian, Hull (4-5) at Underwood (9-0) Ridge View (6-3) at West Sioux, Hawarden (8-1)

POD #2
ACGC (8-1) at South Central Calhoun (8-1) Woodward-Granger (6-3) at Van Meter (9-0)

POD #3
Pella Christian (8-1) at Dike-New Hartford (9-0) Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (7-2) at Sigourney/Keota (9-0)

POD #4
West Branch (7-2) at Beckman Catholic, Dyersville (9-0) MFL MarMac (7-2) at Regina, Iowa City (9-0)

Was a bit off on my POD predictions. Thoughts?

Pod 3 and 4 are perfect as to put different teams together. The interesting part is home team 3rd round goes by district finish, district record then alphabetical. That means if beckman and ic regina both win, Beckman hosts

So are district 3 and district 8 poor districts? They only had 1 team advance to the second round. Does that mean Underwood and Dike are not as good as rankings show?
I think Western will have a problem with Underwood, but does PC have a shot at Dike? Can any other road teams win in 1A. No offense Woodward, but Van Meter will win.

So are district 3 and district 8 poor districts? They only had 1 team advance to the second round. Does that mean Underwood and Dike are not as good as rankings show?
I think Western will have a problem with Underwood, but does PC have a shot at Dike? Can any other road teams win in 1A. No offense Woodward, but Van Meter will win.
PC looks like they have a dynamic quarterback and one with good size, too. They also have some very sizable receivers. I’m sure they’re also very well coached. Should be a good game.

DNH beat Columbus non district as well as Grundy Center who has to be a favorite to win class A and dominated Clear Lake who is still alive in 2A so they are proven. But yes PC does have a chance in that game. Also I do think Denver is better than a few teams still alive.

I think Underwood is very good, but they haven’t been tested, they shouldn’t have much trouble with Western Christian but the West Sioux match up could be interesting.

I also think the two eastern Iowa pods are very balanced with everyone having a chance, the western pods not as much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT