ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Round 2 Predictions & Discussion

high90school

Freshman
Sep 17, 2012
What a first round of games. Losts of expected scores as well as a lot of unexpected ones. Who would have thunk Wayne would have beat Murray the way that they did and if anyone other than buck had River Valley and/or Janesville picked to get upset...koodos to you. Now lets move on from these games and get ready for a short week and another round of playoff games.

Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire @ Newell Fonda
West Bend @ MMC
Northwood Kensett
@ Don Bosco
Easton Valley @ Springville
Wayne
@ HLV
Twin Cedars @ Adair Casey
Boyer Valley @ Glidden Ralston
Coon Rapids Bayard @ Exira-EHK

Game of the week: West Bend @ MMC
Rematch of a close Week 2 matchup that fell in favor of West Bend 28-18. It can be argued that even though West Bend won that game, it was early in the year and MMC was maybe just getting into the swing of playing with all the new guys that they replaced from last years team. Since that game though MMC has really been rolling, scoring no less than 50 points in each game since then. West Bend will look to continue to ride their stellar defense which has been their staple of success this entire season. This game I see going down to the wire yet again but too much MMC and too much Dylan Spieler for West Bend to contain all game long. I have MMC taking this one and setting up the rematch of the thrilling quarterfinal game from last season with Newell Fonda.

Game/Score to keep an eye on: Wayne @ HLV
10 days ago these two teams played and 10 days ago it was a great game. I expect nothing less yet again. Even though Wayne lost that game, you can argue that they have to have a ton of confidence going back to HLV for a chance to move on to the next round. Many people gave Wayne a shot to take down Murray first round and did they do so. Scoring 82 points on a good Murray team is no easy feat. Although they did give up 52, everybody across the state knows the history of how well Murray can score. I have a feeling Wayne travels to HLV this time and gets the job done when it matters most and moves on to the quarterfinal round.

Upset pick of the week: Northwood Kensett OVER Don Bosco
A week 9 matchup between these two teams came down to the wire with Don Bosco pulling out the W. I have a gut feeling though NK will be ready with some adjustments in hope to stop Jake Hogan. Another game to the wire here as I feel last team who has the ball or the team who has more turnovers will win this one.

DB has their work cut out for them Monday but if they clean up their defenseive mistakes (which i think they will) that they will come out with the W.

Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire @ Newell-Fonda
West Bend-Mallard @ MMC
Northwood Kensett @ Don Bosco
Wayne @ HLV
Boyer Valley @ Glidden-Ralston

I like all of the home teams pulling off wins come Monday. I finally will be able to catch another HLV game which I am tickled pink about. I like my Warriors in the rematch against Wayne. I believe Coach Smith and the staff gets the point across that Wayne is for real and they're not guaranteed a win even though they beat them in the regular season finale. I'm expecting a slobber-knocker in Victor. Hopefully Cataldo is back for HLV and makes an impact. My bold prediction for the night is that Strudthoff rushes for 200+ and returns a punt for a touchdown as well.

Final prediction: HLV 44 Wayne 40

I have MMC over West bend in a thrilling defensive battle. Both offenses have a lot of playmakers but the game will come down to who ever makes fewer mistakes. MMC is gonna come hard after the week 2 loss. MMCs defense has been completely rebuilt after that loss and has been stellar ever since then. My upset pick is North wood Kensett over Don Bosco. They gave them a run for their money in week 9 and will close the deal this time around. GTRA will give NF a challenge early on but in the 2nd half NF will start to wear down gtras impressive defense.

Originally posted by SICL Cares:

Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire @ Newell-Fonda
West Bend-Mallard @ MMC
Wayne @ HLV
Boyer Valley @ Glidden-Ralston

I like all of the home teams pulling off wins come Monday. I finally will be able to catch another HLV game which I am tickled pink about. I like my Warriors in the rematch against Wayne. I believe Coach Smith and the staff gets the point across that Wayne is for real and they're not guaranteed a win even though they beat them in the regular season finale. I'm expecting a slobber-knocker in Victor. Hopefully Cataldo is back for HLV and makes an impact. My bold prediction for the night is that Strudthoff rushes for 200+ and returns a punt for a touchdown as well.

Final prediction: HLV 44 Wayne 40
Wayne is going to have to stay physical all game if they want to pull another upset. They did that in the first half against HLV 10 days ago and looked pretty much in control, but they went soft in the second half and the game turned into a shootout where either the team that had the ball last was going to win or the team that made the first mistake was going to lose. Wayne missed a pair of opportunities on fumbles that literally fell right into their laps, only to be recovered by the HLV offense.

Home field will have an affect in this one, too. Should be a great game, much better than the first one, IMO, and the first one was awesome. I'll still take HLV, though. 50-44

High90school thanks for the koodos...gotta get one right every once in awhile

Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire @ Newell Fonda
West Bend
Mallard @ MMC
Wayne
@ HLV
Boyer Valley @ Glidden Ralston

I will be at the WBM vs MMC game monday. Should be a good one. I think MMC has improved alot since their first meeting but they havent faced a defense like WBMs since they played them in the 1st match up. It will be higher scoring this time but I dont see MMC scoring in the 50s like they have every week since their lose. I'll take WBM by 14+. Something like 42-27.

GTRA vs NF will be a very physical game once again. GTRAs offense looked much better last night then I have seen all year but NFs defense is alot better then RVs. God willing, if there are no tornados this go around, look for Nfs offense to stay on track and score more then 28 pts.

whiteboy - How do you figure MMCs defense has been stellar? They gave up 34 to RU, 43 To HLP, 29 to RV, 32 to KP and 40 to NEH. If any thing it has gotten worse. They only gave up 28 to WBM who has the best offense of all those teams.

Giving up 29 to RV is good in my book.. and I am assuming that the starters didn't play much of the second half to the other teams. Will be an interesting game. I got MMC winning in this one.

Originally posted by AaronAnderson:
Giving up 29 to RV is good in my book.. and I am assuming that the starters didn't play much of the second half to the other teams. Will be an interesting game. I got MMC winning in this one.
Yeah, I wouldn't hold it against MMC for giving up 29 points to Riedemann and Co. That's an explosive offense that they kept pretty well grounded all night. MMC is still a top contender, but I do think West Bend-Mallard comes out on top. I tabbed them as my dark horse contender in the preseason, and I think they'll live up to that billing on Monday night.

I agree but BR ran all over and around them that game. If it wasn't for 4 turnovers they would of put up more points. Anyways it should be a good game. Like I said I got WBM by 14+ but doesn't mean I would like to see a rematch of MMC vs NF in the quarterfinals. A little revenge is always sweet.

Aaronanderson you going to the wbm vs mmc game? Not sure which side I will be sitting on. Probly MMC side so I can be a little higher to film.

Originally posted by buck_1006:
I agree but BR ran all over and around them that game. If it wasn't for 4 turnovers they would of put up more points. Anyways it should be a good game. Like I said I got WBM by 14+ but doesn't mean I would like to see a rematch of MMC vs NF in the quarterfinals. A little revenge is always sweet.

Aaronanderson you going to the wbm vs mmc game? Not sure which side I will be sitting on. Probly MMC side so I can be a little higher to film.
True, but we're also talking about the state's all-time leader in total offense and just the second player in state history to pass for 5,000 yards and rush for 4,000. He didn't just stumble on numbers like that. Riedemann is one of the top 5 players in the state, without doubt.

Buck mmcs jv was probably in for the majority of those games except RV RU and WBM. I don't agree with mmcs defense doing bad against RV. They shut BR26 down.

GT-RA held River Valley to 24 pts and they were blown out by WB-M 66-8.So you can throw those comparisons out the window in my opinion.

Totally agree about the GTRA defense. They might be getting too much hype, but how will the (QB'S) Girres brothers and (FB) Dalen handle all this pressure on a big road game? They seemed to me to be a little soft during crunch time in the regular season and to think this is a HUGE playoff game.

MMC played starters the whole NEH game on Wednesday on both sides of the ball. They have some very good athletes and Speiler is about as good a player as I have seen this year. Should be a very good game on Monday, I wish it wasn't 2 and 1/2 hours from me.
This post was edited on 11/1 8:19 AM by NEHTrojan

Yes mmc varsity Defense played whole game vs NEH. NEH obviously came ready to play in that game. I think you guys are underestimating MMCs defense. They had pretty much shut BR26 down when they played RV. Yes he ran for a lot but they forced him to fumble and only allowed him to score twice. I think the sloppy field conditions played a major role in the MMC/NEH game as I heard it was a bad weather game. Everyone's focusing in the Eagles defense. They're pretty stout on offense. Monday will be a dog fight no doubt about it. But I think you guys are underestimating MMC as a whole

I am in no way under estimating MMC at all. I was just pointing out that they did play there varsity against us the whole game in response to your earlier post. Not sure how the weather caused defensive problems for either team, both passed very well that night, we have struggled catching the ball all season...wet or dry. We dropped a wide open touchdown pass with 8 seconds in the first half which could have got us within 4 points. Tyler Smith, who was leading the state in rushing 3 weeks ago, has been playing with a strained MCL since the end of the Laurens Marathon game and obviously was not himself the past couple of weeks so we were not exactly at full strength. I came away very impressed with MMC, especially Speiler, but, if I were their coach, I would be concerned about the number of points they do give up. Maybe they will step up in "bigger" games and be more focused, that is the unknown right now, I certainly think they have the ability to be a very good defense. I watched the tape of MMC and RV and they did slow Riedeman up, but he made a lot of great plays as well, he is also a great player. I don't know if I could pick a favorite in the MMC vs WBM game, both are very talented well coached teams. Good luck to both teams Monday night!

What do you think about the GTRA defense? Are they legit or are you saying Tyler Smiths MCL injury slowed him down?

I think GTRA's defense is legit. We were impressed with them on tape coming into the game. The game would have been closer in my opinion if Smith was 100% (and if we could catch a pass), but they were very solid and definitely the better team that night.

I agree. GTRA had the ground and pound approach at the beginning of the season which in my opinion is why they couldn't score many points. Nothing against #26 Dalen but he seems more of a track star then up the middle guy. GTRA needs to improve on the passing game. This is nothing against the brothers at QB or Dalen! I just think the offense needs more spark.

Did you see their first game against NF? I saw the tape but could not tell if the weather maybe slowed down NF or if it was just good D, or both. I will tell you one thing for sure, I have been coaching for a long time and will say that this district #2, and sister district #1, are about as good as I have seen with the top three or four teams.

Hey high90school as a Bosco fan would like to thank you for the upset pick. Absolutely love when others give our kids extra motivation!! I'm pickin Bosco to win by at least 20.

Originally posted by 8man fan:
Hey high90school as a Bosco fan would like to thank you for the upset pick. Absolutely love when others give our kids extra motivation!! I'm pickin Bosco to win by at least 20.
Well in these situations there are 3 possible outcomes: very similar game, better team realizes how lucky they were and pour it on second time around, or inferior team realizes with a few less mistakes they can pull of the upset....guess we'll see.

I would think the fact they are in the playoffs with the winner moves on and the loser goes home would be enough motivation. But if it takes a random posting to motivate your team to a win, then they probably won't make it very far.

Being a (now) former player that played against MMC this year, we went into that game expecting a low scoring battle. We thought that if we could score 30 we would win the game. The simple key factor in this game is Dylan Spieler. This offense goes as far as he carries it. MMC's defense is anything but special, their offense makes up for it though. I think from WBM's view, it has to let Cole Banwart have his way on the d-line. He is a special sophomore with potential D-1 size. I'm going to go with WBM in a 8 point game, but if MMC gets a 2 TD lead at any point, that game is over.

As for the GT/RA and N-F game, it comes down to Gabe Podraza. He was special in the WBM game when they were able to shut Bohe down. I look for something similar here. For GT/RA it has to have Dalen to wear down that Mustang Defense. I'm going to go with N-F by 3 scores 35-14

Dawgpound I agree, and disagree. Your right being in the playoffs are definitely motivational, but message boards and twitter, are all extra motivators. I have never been a fan of motivating an opposing team, let your play on the feild do your talking. As far as Bosco not making it very far, like I said we'll do our talking on the feild. Two straight years of undefeated seasons, and an only loss being in the championship game, seems respectful.

I agree with you that spieler carries mmc. I also agree that if either WBM or MMC gets a 2 score lead at any time it will be over. I know spieler is one hell of a football player but they also have one heck of a backfield with two solid running backs. Junior Conner Holmes and sophomore Derek Erdmen are 2 great playmakers on both sides of ball but especially on offense. They split carries so neither put up the numbers they would if they were alone in the backfield. Holmes is just a hard nosed runner who will run you over if your in his way. He will be the difference maker

Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire @?Newell Fonda. GTRA by three. I think NF may be taking this game too lightly.

West Bend @?MMC. MMC by 10. Close game but Speiler's high powered O prevails

Northwood Kensett?@ Don Bosco. DB by 7. Hogan is too much to handle for NK

This post was edited on 11/2 7:03 PM by sneaky1

DB will win easy this week.. But they better be worried about Springville on Friday. The numbers that they are putting up are very impressive

Johnny2012 I think Northwood pulls off the upset. Don bosco hasn't been challenged at all this year except for the NK he week9. They will fall this week. Springfield has looked dang good and will be dome bound

Originally posted by 8man fan:
Dawgpound I agree, and disagree. Your right being in the playoffs are definitely motivational, but message boards and twitter, are all extra motivators. I have never been a fan of motivating an opposing team, let your play on the feild do your talking. As far as Bosco not making it very far, like I said we'll do our talking on the feild. Two straight years of undefeated seasons, and an only loss being in the championship game, seems respectful.
Trust me, you could not be more wrong if you tried.

8man fan...i must say if it takes this to get the kids from Bosco that motivated to play a playoff game..they seriously have something wrong, and for my picks sake, hope I am right that much more. If it takes a post like that to get kids pumped up for a ball game then they probably shouldnt be playing right now. Playoff football alone, and chance to play in the dome, should motivate kids enough to win every game from here on out whether or not they have 0 losses or 3, not a random forum post that is mostly for talk and friendly discussion rather than ESPN argument sake with Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith.

I'm with 8man. I'm sure Don Bosco is more than sufficiently motivated. Every team is at this point. But that doesn't mean something else can add a little extra. Stuff said on a message board doubting them certainly isn't going to hurt them.

I guess we will have to agree to diagree on this one. I just highly doubt any team takes serious what is posted on here and uses it as motivators for game days of any kind.

On another note, whats everyones opinion about the 4 games that havent been talked about much yet: Twin Cedars @ Adair Casey, Coon Rapids Bayard @ Exira EHK, Boyer Valley @ Glidden Ralson, and Easton Valley @ Springville. Is everyone confident that these will be blowouts or are they just not as high profile compared to the others. I know the last time CRB and Exira-EHK played i was there and until the storms came that night it was a rather close game, 21-12 at half and 35-12 after 3 i believe and I checked on the last time BV and Glidden played it was a 7 point final. Could be some stellar rematches there from the 4 teams in D7. Twin Cedars hasnt met up with Adair yet and I know they are a completely different style of offense than what Adair has seen all year throwing it around the yard it looks like. Will be a good test for Adair to see a change of scenery on offense in the playoffs. Easton Valley and Springville have met once but it was Springville all the way but who also expected EV to beat Janesville last week? They must have improved over the course of the year and are peaking at the right time as I sure didnt see that coming one bit really.

Everyone knows D3 was the HaveAllToEndAll division destined to "Sweep" D4 in the first round....so it must have been a fluke that EV beat Janesville & Springville ran over Tripoli. It can't possible be that ALL the divisions have talent...
fighting0026.r191677.gif

Any given team on any given night....but.....Springville will win tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT