ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Races

high90school

Freshman
Sep 17, 2012
Just a thread to keep up on races for final spots to make playoffs this season. While most of the districts top 2 spots are locked, the final 2 are still mainly wide open. Keep in mind I just had a quick glance at standings and other than a few districts, didnt go deep in to see who was or wasn't able mathmatically to keep going. If teams are on here that are mathmatically eliminated, please update with a post correcting the respective district.

D1: 3 teams tied with 2-2 district record AND 0.00 point differential
- Kingsley Pierson
- Remsen, Union
- Remsen St. Marys

D2: 3 times tied with 2-2 district record
- Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire (0.00 diff)
- Northeast Hamilton (0.00 diff)
- Laurens Marathon (-2.25 diff)

D3: Top 3 spots are locked, race for last spot is down to 2/3 teams
- Riceville 2-2 (-0.50 diff)
- Tripoli 2-3 (0.60 diff)
- Rockford 1-3 (-8.25 diff)

D4: All four spots are up for grabs, 6 teams in contention
- Springville 5-0 (13.00 diff) win Friday, lock #1 seed up
- Kee Lansing 4-1 (7.80 diff)
- Easton Valley 3-1 (3.50 diff)
- West Central 3-2 (2.60 diff)
- Central Elkader 2-3 (-0.20 diff)
- Midland, Wyoming 2-3 (-2.80 diff)

D5: Crap shoot who will end up in what seed, 5 teams up for 4 spots
- HLV 6-0 (13.00 diff)
- Twin Cedars 4-1 (7.80 diff)
- Wayne 3-1 (6.50 diff)
- Melcher Dallas 3-2 (2.60 diff)
- Tri County 2-3 (-2.60)

D6: Crap shoot who will end up where, 6 teams could end up in any of the final 3 playoff spots
- Lamoni 3-1 (6.50 diff)
- Murray 3-1 (6.50 diff)
- Colo Nesco 2-3 (-3.20 diff)
- Mormon Trail 1-3 (-4.5 diff)
- East Union 1-3 (-5.75 diff)
- Grandview Park Baptist 2-3 (-6.60)

D7: Top 3 spots are locked, race for last spot is down to 2 teams
- West Harrison 2-3 (-2.6 diff) Must have BV loss to clinch
- Boyer Valley 1-3 (-5.00 diff) Must win out in district play
* Note these two teams play H2H week 9

D8: Top 3 seeds are locked, race for last spot is down to 2/3 teams
- CAM 3-2 (3.00 diff) Win Friday, locked in at #4 seed
- Lenox 3-3 (0.00 diff) Beat FM and need CAM to lose final 2 district games
- Stanton 1-3 (-6.50 diff) Must win out

How is District 8 going to look at the top 3 spots. I know that F-M/Sid/SWV are the top 3 but aren't all 3 in a tie for first with each having 1 district loss?

F-M is undefeated in district play. Their game next week with SWV will go a long ways in sorting that out. If per say SWV wins that game and Sidney beats CAM final week, they would sort it out by point differential since all three teams beat each other. If there is a tie with point differential then something happens as far as alphabetical system. Its kind of screwy on how that works but thats the jist of how that would play out.
This post was edited on 10/10 11:49 AM by high90school

The current top four teams in District 5 will almost certainly end up in the playoffs. Tri-County has little chance to make it, based on how they've looked. Whoever wins the Wayne-Melcher game this week will be guaranteed no worse than the 3-seed, and either HLV or Wayne will end up with the 1-seed.

District 2 #3 & #4 will be decided this week since NE Hamilton plays GT-RA. Both have beaten L-M and both teams have the bottom 2 teams remaining on their schedule. Lookd for GT-RA to be the 3 seed and NE Hamilton the 4th.

If FM beats SWV and Sidney wins out, then it would be 1. FM 2. Sidney 3. SWV 4. CAM

If SWV wins then it's 1. SWV 2. FM 3. Sidney 4. CAM.

That FM/SWV is a huge game. Nobody should want to travel to Glidden Ralston first game.

What happens if:

FM beats SWV and CAM beats Sidney week 9

That would leave three teams tied with 2 district losses.

The #3 and #4 seeds are ones that any of those times do not want to get going to both Glidden and Exira-EHK will be very very tough going.

Sneaky, I know for District 1 that MMC has the #1 seed and River Valley has #2 seed.
For District 2, I know that West Bend-Mallard and Newell-Fonda have the #1 and #2 seeds locked up, just depends on who wins in their week 9 match up

Originally posted by high90school:

D7: Top 3 spots are locked, race for last spot is down to 2 teams
- West Harrison 2-3 (-2.6 diff) Must have BV loss to clinch
- Boyer Valley 1-3 (-5.00 diff) Must win out in district play
* Note these two teams play H2H week 9
If I am looking at West Harrison and Boyer Valley records right. It appears that West Harrison must beat Boyer Valley no matter the out come of this friday nights game. If Boyer Valley would lose this weekend and then beat West Harrison the next weekend, they would both have identical records (3 - 4). With Boyer Valley having the head to head. Right now West Harrison is 3-3 and Boyer Valley is 2-3. West Harrison is off this friday. Boyer Valley has a game.

Boyer Valley with a loss on friday night would be 2-4
West Harrison no game would still be 3-3

Boyer Valley win on next weekend 3-4
West Harrison loss would be 3-4

So it appears that West Harrison must beat Boyer Valley to make the playoffs.
This post was edited on 10/14 4:28 PM by Voicefromthestands

You would be correct. Just like last season. Game for who gets the #4 and final seed in D7 will be next Friday. If Fremont Mills were to win this Friday they would clinch the #1 seed in D8. If they were to lose it would create chaos at the top with three teams tied with each other for the top 3 seeds. Same would happen if Fremont won and Sidney lost to CAM next Friday creating a three way tie for seeds 2-4. Lots at stake in the next two Fridays.

If CAM beats Sidney by 13 or more i believe that would put CAM in 3rd (If SWV loses or wins). CAM won every game by 13+ in district and has lost to F-M by 11 (so did Sidney) and SWV by 13+ (combined 24)

Sidney has one victory by 4, and also lost to F-M by 11, and losing to CAM by 13+ (combined 24 in losses) would put CAM ahead in points (since all of CAMs victories have come by 13+ and Sidney had one by 4).

As most coaches would say its never good to look ahead in the schedule, I did, and I didnt realize how many big games across the state we will have next Friday. I haven't seen a week so jam packed with big games with good teams matched up in them from border to border all year long.

Update on current standings for playoff races as the IAHSAA has them listed
*District Champ
^Playoff Spot locked

D1
#1 - MMC*
#2 - River Valley^
#3 - Remsen Union^
#4 - Harris Lake Park/Remsen St. Mary's

D2
#1 - Newell Fonda/West Bend^
#2 - Newell Fonda/West Bend^
#3 - Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayshire^
#4 - Northeast Hamilton Blairsburg

D3
#1 - Don Bosco^
#2 - Northwood Kensett^
#3 - Janesville^
#4 - Tripoli^

D4
#1 - Springville*
#2 - Kee, Lansing^
#3 - Easton Valley
#4 - Central, Elkader

D5
#1 - HLV^
#2 - Twin Cedars, Bussey^
#3 - Wayne, Corydon^
#4 - Melcher Dallas/Meskwaki Settlement

D6
#1 - Adair Casey*
#2 - Lamoni/Murray^
#3 - Lamoni/Murray^
#4 - Grandview Park Baptist

D7
#1 - Exira-EHK*
#2 - Glidden Ralston^
#3 - Coon Rapids Bayard^
#4 - West Harrison/Boyer Valley

D8
#1 - Southwest Valley/ Fremont Mills/ Sidney^
#2 - Southwest Valley/ Fremont Mills/ Sidney^
#3 - Southwest Valley/ Fremont Mills/ Sidney^
#4 - CAM^

If anyone spots any mistakes that I have made please correct them accordingly

Iowaforlife, I think you are right about NEH. If I figured right, even if we would lose to CAL this week by 13 or more, and Laurens wins by more than 13, I think we would still have the point advantage NEH -1.8/ LM -3.14 as well as head to head advantage. Pretty much the same for North Iowa. If I am figuring things wrong please tell me but that is how I have it figured. I hope everyone in Northwest Iowa goes to watch NF vs. WBM this week because it may be better than any playoff game! I wish I could be there for this one!!!
This post was edited on 10/21 10:01 PM by NEHTrojan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT