ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Breakdown, Week 8

When will the matchups be released?

A list of playoff qualifiers for all classes are suppose to be posted on the IHSAA web site by midnight following tomorrow night's games. The brackets are suppose to be posted to the web site 2-3 hours later, so by 2-3 AM Saturday morning.

There will be no bracket release show on Saturday morning like they did last year.

Am I wrong in thinking that Earlham is going to be WC over New London? I thought the state recognized 5-2 as better than 4-2.

Am I wrong in thinking that Earlham is going to be WC over New London? I thought the state recognized 5-2 as better than 4-2.

You might be right. If what the state apparently said holds, Belle Plaine will be automatically eliminated since their are 0-1 against other wildcards (Alburnett) and so will New London, as 4-2 will be below 5-2. It will most likely be Alburnett and Earlham, considering they will both most likely win by 17. If Westwood beats Gehlen, Gehlen would get in and kick out Earlham, as Alburnett would have the Alphabetical Advantage

I was informed differently from the ihsaa about how they would do district six. So not sure which way it will end up going since others were told different things.

I don't think you're wrong. But Earlham will still need Belle Plaine , Westwood AND Nashua- Plainfield to lose, Or Alburnett to not win by 17+. 3 of those 4 need to happen for Earlham.

My reply above is assuming New London's 4-2 record is NOT equal to 5-2 as has been suggested before.
Needless to say, a lot hinges on IAHSAA interpretation of that .

I was informed differently from the ihsaa about how they would do district six. So not sure which way it will end up going since others were told different things.

What info were you told about what they were going to do with district 6

All teams in Class A, District 6 will receive a victory for game that was to be played against Danville. No team will have less games played than any other in that classification.

This is what I was sent. I have heard that all teams will get the average points awarded which is about 14 points I believe.

The way things stand right now :

the third place teams who have a chance at wc are:

BP 5-1 11.33 * loss to Alburnett and a likely loss to Hudson knocks them out. If they were to win that would get them in and take a wild card.
NP 5-1 8.0 * Tough game against WH a loss will knock them down in pts and likely out . A win will put them in and WH in as a WC
Westwood 5-1 4.5 * A win against Gehlen puts them in and Gehlen gets a WC if its close. A loss would put them too far behind in points.
Alburnett 4-2 5.67 * Likely win by 17 and could put them top in points. Own a win over BP and are alphabetically in over Earlham.
Earlham 4-2 5.67 * Likely a win by 17 and will tie them with Alb on points.

NL 3-2 7.6 * Likely win by 17. They have enough points to give them the top WC spot but it depends on how the state looks at the district record.

If the favorites win then it looks like it would be either

Alburnett
Earlham

or

NL
Alburnett

Depending on what the state decides. Who knows if a combination of a Westwood or NP or BP win then it doesn't matter.

Todd Tharp is who I emailed and got that response. It will be interesting to see how all the games play out Friday though.

• Sioux Central (D2-RU) at West Sioux (D1-CH)
  • Gehlen Catholic (D1-RU) at Bishop Garrigan (D2-CH)

• West Hancock (D3-RU) at Hudson (D5-CH)
  • Gladbrook-Reinbeck (D5-RU) at Saint Ansgar (D3-CH)

• Pekin (D6-RU) at East Buchanan (D7-CH)
  • Alburnett (D4-WC) at Wapsie Valley (D4-CH)

• St. Albert (D7-RU) at Lynnville-Sully (D6-CH)
  • Earlham (D7-WC) at Southwest Valley (D7-CH)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DkN0V-0WJbQWItlyZTbFGwB1ukI&usp=sharing

Here is a Google Map with the matchups colored in. I think the longest is St. Albert to Sully at 178 miles, but all the quarterfinals are relatively close.

Last edited:
the state has said that all teams will be given a win in the Danville-district 6, so New London is esentially 5-2 if they beat WMU Friday, but they only get a 14 pt win for the Danville forf.. SO New London sitting at 52 wuth a chance to get to 69 = 9.85

So basically NL is a wc lock as long as it takes care of business Friday and Alb is the second wc barring any upsets like Nashua over Britt wh. Two WC on the east side will be interesting who from the east goes west.

It could be that the IAHSAA rethought their stance on 5-2 vs 4-2. It does make sense to me to give them a win over Danville making New London 5-2, not 4-2. Do wish they would put out some additional clarification on the rules given the fogginess of it all.

I adjusted the map with New London instead of Earlham, I didn't change anything so the matchups remain the same. The new longest drive would be New London to Southwest Valley at 187 miles on US-34. After that, assuming SW Valley doesn't get upset, the longest possible quarterfinals all sit around 125 miles. Not too bad when they are on Friday nights now instead of middle of school week

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DkN0V-0WJbQWItlyZTbFGwB1ukI&usp=sharing

so who is east and who is west, also you cant have a district champion playing a district RU from the same district in the 1st rd like you have.

If you're talking about West Sioux, I accidentally had them as District 2 (should've been District 1), I edited that in my posting. Thanks for pointing that out otherwise I totally missed it lol

I didn't know there was still an East/West designation in A football at least. I don't know how I'd do that

If you're talking about West Sioux, I accidentally had them as District 2 (should've been District 1), I edited that in my posting. Thanks for pointing that out otherwise I totally missed it lol

I didn't know there was still an East/West designation in A football at least. I don't know how I'd do that
switch New London and Pekin only because a second round match up of CBSA and New London would be 275 miles

Quarterfinal 1 CBSA #2 vs.Gehlen #2
Sioux Central #2 @ West Sioux #1

Quarterfinal 2 West Hancock #2 @ Algona #1
Gladbrook #2 @ Saint Ansgar #1

Quarterfinal 3 New London #3 @ Wapsie #1
East Buchanan #2 @ Hudson #1

Quarterfinal 4 Alburnett #3 @ Lynnville-Sully #1
Pekin #2 @ Southwest Valley #1

As a whole, this looks like the least amount of travel for most teams if standings stay as is. If teams are required to travel over a certain distance, they should go to neutral sites. Especially if it is a 1 vs 1 or a 2 vs 2

As a whole, this looks like the least amount of travel for most teams if standings stay as is. If teams are required to travel over a certain distance, they should go to neutral sites. Especially if it is a 1 vs 1 or a 2 vs 2

I like everything about this

Think they will keep St. Albert and West Sioux apart until semis

2 Sioux Center at 1 West Sioux
2 West Hancock at 1 Garrigan

2 St. Albert at 2 Gehlen
2 Pekin At 1 SWV

2 Gladbrook at 1 Sully
3 New London At 1 Hudson

3 Alburnett at 1 Wapsie
2 East Buch at 1 St. Ansgar

an alburnett to southwest valley second round game would be 240 miles

There have been some great predictions cannot wait to see how it all turns out after tonight. Good luck and safe travels to all

Last WC comes down to rule interpretation of NL 4-2 and Alb 5-2 record. Alb. Technically has a better win % and plays in a much tougher district, so according to rule #2 for At Large..." District record", it should be Alburnett with final WC. We will see shortly how it plays out!

Reactions: Sev393
Last WC comes down to rule interpretation of NL 4-2 and Alb 5-2 record. Alb. Technically has a better win % and plays in a much tougher district, so according to rule #2 for At Large..." District record", it should be Alburnett with final WC. We will see shortly how it plays out!

Maybe IAHSAA will do Alburnett a solid and pay them back for playing the 2011 quarterfinal @ west branch after Alburnett won the district over west branch.

Wow, so Westwood beating Gehlen knocked Alburnett out. Tough break for them. If you haven’t seen it yet the wild cards are New London and Gehlen

Reactions: willyhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT